Page 124 of 207 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 3103

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yes- one of the Avengers writers even said he'd love to write Cyclops. Compare him to Hank Pym is non-sense, since Pym has a very specific problem. Jean however, since her main story won't be done, will probably face trouble.
    I think he meant more in the sense that Hank and Janet are founding members of the Avengers that have been core members of the franchise in the comics and focus of many storylines, yet on the MCU, well, you know. I don't think the whole thing with him hitting Janet had anything to do with how things went anyway.

But yeah, with Jean, I don't even think it's only that they already did Dark Phoenix, but the very fact that she was the focus of the latest X-Men movie. Look how they ditched Gwen, Harry, etc on Spider-Man and went with a total new supporting cast for Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    I think US opening weekend will be between $25-30 M
    Hopefully upper 30s or low 40s, but estimates are dropping. Secret Life of Pets 2 is on more screens and larger theaters, so there's a good chance it doesn't win the weekend box office. It's not going to hold theaters so expect massive drops the next few weeks.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think he meant more in the sense that Hank and Janet are founding members of the Avengers that have been core members of the franchise in the comics and focus of many storylines, yet on the MCU, well, you know. I don't think the whole thing with him hitting Janet had anything to do with how things went anyway.

But yeah, with Jean, I don't even think it's only that they already did Dark Phoenix, but the very fact that she was the focus of the latest X-Men movie. Look how they ditched Gwen, Harry, etc on Spider-Man and went with a total new supporting cast for Peter.
    No, with Pym, the hitting Janet thing was the reason, since they couldn't risk controversy at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    No, with Pym, the hitting Janet thing was the reason, since they couldn't risk controversy at that point.
    AFAIK the "official" explanation is that Edgar Wright wanted to do his Scott Lang movie and that already included the idea of Hank as an old-man.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

AFAIK the "official" explanation is that Edgar Wright wanted to do his Scott Lang movie and that already included the idea of Hank as an old-man.
    That's what I recall as well.
    Edgar Wright prefers Scott Lang to Pym. The thief/slacker turned hero, is right up Wright's alley.

Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim, The World's End, Baby Driver etc.

Marvel is never gonna sideline Scott on a rebooted MCU X-Men. They have to know that he was done dirty by Fox, and considering how loved Captain America was, they'll know they can make a traditional good guy leader work. It's only Jean that's in danger of being screwed over.
    Right. Scott would be their Cap, it would be stupid as hell to not have Scott in it. But folks like Xavier, Logan or even Magneto may not be needed as much.

Even Jean for that matter.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 06-05-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Dark Phoenix should be the Infinity War/Endgame of X-Men movies. You need multiple films establishing the characters and laying the groundwork to lead into it. To try to do it in one movie is just folly, to try it twice is just idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    Right. Scott would be their Cap, it would be stupid as hell to not have Scott in it. But folks like Xavier, Logan or even Magneto may not be needed as much.

Even Jean for that matter.
    Xavier and Logan should be in(though maybe Logan shouldn't be on the first one already), and I'm sure they will. Just put Xavier in a much more lowkey role than on the Fox movies, and make Wolverine shine without needing to diminish the other characters on his favor.

And well, I disagree Jean "isn't needed". I have been explaining why I think the MCU may skip her or something, as in their logic for possibly doing so, but I'm hoping more than anything to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    Your words to God's ears.

We do.not.need more lovefest between Magneto and Xavier. That is not what the X-Men is all about. This is nothing more than a side story for two characters that aren't supposed to be in the forefront always.

It has always been about the TEAM. Keyword = TEAM. Kinberg wanks around Magneto because that's his favorite character, which makes him a shitty writer because that's all he is capable of. There's no absolute reason to shortchange other characters because you have a hard-on for one character out of a supposed ENSEMBLE franchise.

He can fuck off. And I'm laughing so much right now. He's not going to get any consequences though, seeing he's been given this chance in the first place after several screw ups he did with the franchise.

But I will call him a shitty writer every chance I get. He's there with those 2 trolls that wrote GoT's final season.
    Especially Xavier. He's more a councilor or a Q type character in service of the team, to bring his vision to the for front and point them in the right direction.

Not a true instigator, aside from his more sneaker deeds.

An like you said these films should have always been ensemble pictures first and subplot/personally stories second or third. But never to the degree of screen time suckage for a handful of at times underdeveloped characters. That lacked more than a few key elements in comparison to their counterparts to do them justice. But of course those characters were pushed forward. Instead of the X-men members being a family or doing more with the mansion and its students. I mean the sheer lack of the team actually going out to save other mutants, add to the disrespect. I mean even as adaption's everything shouldn't be about fighting villains 24/7 or conversating with political suits or taking time out of the film to spew overly long grand speeches. That amount to very little.

In truth underneath even the better films. They almost feel like inverted homage's to the source material, a homage that avoided world building at all cost. Other than for a couple of scenes or even a single film. But it really shouldn't be surprising given past the fact that Singer decided that; He didn't want any of the x-men comics to be in the writing room to Kinberg. Insulting audiences with his horrible pacing, in your face star pandering, coupled with awkward characterization. To go along with a clear inability to learn from past mistakes.

As he continued to mistreat and misuse some amazing creations, like little more then chicken feed.

So you would be right in your stance. To his skill or lack there of.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 06-06-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Mighty Member

I haven't seen Gifted, but so far the best use of an ensemble cast I've seen onscreen is Doom Patrol.
    Which makes me wonder if X Men would be better served as a TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I haven't seen Gifted, but so far the best use of an ensemble cast I've seen onscreen is Doom Patrol.
    Which makes me wonder if X Men would be better served as a TV series.
    Hopefully we'll see an attempt after or before a MCU X-men film comes out.

If they decide to do a show on Hulu or even FX to fill the gaps between releases.

Xavier and Logan should be in(though maybe Logan shouldn't be on the first one already), and I'm sure they will. Just put Xavier in a much more lowkey role than on the Fox movies, and make Wolverine shine without needing to diminish the other characters on his favor.

And well, I disagree Jean "isn't needed". I have been explaining why I think the MCU may skip her or something, as in their logic for possibly doing so, but I'm hoping more than anything to be proven wrong.
    Understood

I mean they can utilize any one of these characters in more interesting ways, without making leads or mains in the first film or second. They can build up to them. Given them the proper respect after the general disservice given to their actual roles. Now of course that depends on the direction they take, but Marvel Studio's don't need to feel rushed. Since they own the X-men outright unlike with say Spider-man, so time is on their side.

Still at the same time their plans may not be to everyone's likening and some may disagree with their direction or character usage.

But i think in the end things will pan out much better in comparison. They have to.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 06-06-2019 at 12:42 AM.

I've seen it now. It's not as bad as Apocalypse, but it's just never very exciting either and has a rather morose tone. Fassbender being intense is as good as ever, and it was great seeing Storm actually fly around and zap people in action scenes. Probably the RT score is a bit unfair, but Days Of Future Past set a high bar and we expect more from an X-Men film by now.

Oh yeah, and my partner said she kept remembering at points that it was supposed to be set in 1992. I never remembered this at any point after the year caption.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    This isn't even funny anymore.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    This isn't even funny anymore.
    He also said this:

“If you know the Dark Phoenix story, you’d want to really service the love story between Logan and Jean”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...114502564.html

Imagine adapting the same plot twice in a 13 year period and this being your level of understanding of it.

Saw the movie yesterday and it was not good at all. I was excited to see the movie as the trailer looked really cool but there was nothing special about the movie. At some places, the movie reminded me a lot of X3. Had this movie been made about 10 years ago then maybe I would have liked it but the superhero movie genre has changed a lot but I don't think Simon Kinberg understand it. His script was weak with very less emotional content to relate to these characters. It was a dull movie and I expected a lot being this was their final X-Men movie from Fox. The villains are also not given any backstory so their motives are not at all relatable. The final act had some cool action scenes but that was it.