Page 13 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    The Phoenix wasn’t in X3.
    It was... in the same sense Galactus was in Fantastic Four 2, or that Doctor Doom was in Fan4stic.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    It was... in the same sense Galactus was in Fantastic Four 2, or that Doctor Doom was in Fan4stic.
    A better comparison one would be “the Pit” in The Dark Knight Rises. You can’t say that was the Lazarus Pit.

But she was Phoenix. Maybe not the Phoenix Force, hence the lack of firebird imagery but she *was* X3's version of the Phoenix character.

A firey persona is still Phoenix-like just downplayed in terms of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    A firey persona is still Phoenix-like just downplayed in terms of power.

It wasn’t even firey.

88E9D9CB-D0E9-44FF-B24A-C4AAE2E263EF.jpg

Just gonna leave this here. No agenda, just for people who say they don’t see the similarity somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    88E9D9CB-D0E9-44FF-B24A-C4AAE2E263EF.jpg

Just gonna leave this here. No agenda, just for people who say they don’t see the similarity somehow.
    Much closer to Wanda’s look. Made a similar image on the previous page.

The Phoenix wasn’t in X3.
    “The Phoenix” as the X-men movies portray it, was in fact in X3. Just because it was the telepathically suppressed dark persona of Jean Grey’s limitless power and not a cosmic fire entity that posesses a woman to save her life and the lives of her friends while creating a duality within her to accept the limits and beauty of mortality or embrace the Phoenix’s potential for insaitiable and unlimited power doesn’t mean that it wasn’t in the film. It just means that they chose to present it entirely different from its comic origins. The fact that “The Phoenix” being in the movie is even debatable is entirely the problem.

Much closer to Wanda’s look. Made a similar image on the previous page.
    I saw it. And it is close to that image, I concur. In my personal opinion Jean’s X3 look was entirely too close to comic Scarlet Witch’s iconic scarlet template in the first place. But that’s subjective and open to personal opinion. You cannot, however, say that the X3 look is not also very similar to the Dark Phoenix look. Long, deep red duster with fitted deep red top and pants. I just don’t see what about that look screams Phoenix to Fox when there are so many other possibilities. It just reeks of a lack of creative ingenuity.
    Last edited by Ororo101; 02-26-2019 at 10:56 PM.

D8311D37-164F-4220-88AA-6A3A0201E979.jpg

I mean, sans corset what is the difference?

I saw it. And it is close to that image, I concur. In my personal opinion Jean’s X3 look was entirely to close to comic Scarlet Witch’s iconic scarlet template in the first place. But that’s subjective and open to personal opinion. You cannot, however, say that the X3 look is not also very similar to the Dark Phoenix look. Long, deep red duster with fitted deep red top and pants. I just don’t see what about that look screams Phoenix to Fox when there are so many other possibilities. It just reeks of a lack of creative ingenuity.
    That’s because it’s not her full Phoenix form just Jean in her basic/level 1 Phoenix form that the filmmakers talked about. One of the other forms was revealed over a year ago and there was leaked footage that showed it. She looks like Phoenix from the Here Comes Tomorrow storyline.

That’s because it’s not her full Phoenix form just Jean in her basic/level 1 Phoenix form that the filmmakers talked about. One of the other forms was revealed over a year ago and there was leaked footage that showed it. She looks like Phoenix from the Here Comes Tomorrow storyline.
    Yes, I do recall that as well. I just hope that an entirely naked and aflame cgi Jean Grey comes across on screen as well as some believe it will. If Jason Mamoa can pull off a gold fish scale costume with green pants, I don’t see why we have to jump through so many hoops for an appropriate Phoenix look. But who knows, we’ll see I guess.

“The Phoenix” as the X-men movies portray it, was in fact in X3. Just because it was the telepathically suppressed dark persona of Jean Grey’s limitless power and not a cosmic fire entity that posesses a woman to save her life and the lives of her friends while creating a duality within her to accept the limits and beauty of mortality or embrace the Phoenix’s potential for insaitiable and unlimited power doesn’t mean that it wasn’t in the film. It just means that they chose to present it entirely different from its comic origins. The fact that “The Phoenix” being in the movie is even debatable is entirely the problem.
    Yes, they had a Phoenix. But if I were to say: “The Phoenix Force wasn’t in X3” you can’t really argue with that. The Phoenix Persona was pretty much an original concept inspired by the Phoenix Force. Similar to “The Pit” prison from the Dark Knight Rises was inspired by the Lazarus Pit.

https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/The_Pit#Trivia

Both are metaphors of a pre-existing concept from the comics rather than true adaptations of them.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 02-26-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Yes, they had a Phoenix. But if I were to say: “The Phoenix Force wasn’t in X3” you can’t really argue with that. The Phoenix Persona was pretty much an original concept inspired by the Phoenix Force. Similar to “The Pit” prison from the Dark Knight Rises was inspired by the Lazarus Pit.

https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/The_Pit#Trivia

Both are metaphors of a pre-existing concept from the comics rather than true adaptations of them.
    I do think in some ways we are essentially saying the same thing. But where you see a metaphor inspired by a pre-existing concept, I see an uninspired, “grounded”, and heavily dumbed/watered down deviation from one of the most rich and iconic characters in comics. That was in fact, Fox-men’s choice on how how to present the Dark Phoenix storyline. To them Jean Grey was the Phoenix Force. Or at least, her alternate, suppressed persona. It is well known that Famke took on the psychology of schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder as her character study for the part, because the Phoenix entity was in fact within her the whole time. As you said, the Phoenix Force as WE know it was not in the film. But it was presented, just in a different format. So it’s not really accurate to say it wasn’t in the film. A matter of perspective in that sense, I’ll grant you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutsinspace View Post
    But she was Phoenix. Maybe not the Phoenix Force, hence the lack of firebird imagery but she *was* X3's version of the Phoenix character.
    She was Phoenix.
    She was already starting to be Phoenix in X2.
    In the cinematic universe, "Phoenix" and "Dark Phoenix" are the same persona/personality, and it's simply called "Phoenix".