Page 133 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 3103
    Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    spoilers:
    So they never call it the Phoenix Force. It is just described by the D'Bari/Vuk/Chastain as this powerful cosmic force that destroys most things, but could have the power to bring back their planet. Because Jean's ultimate expression of her powers was the Phoenix imagery from Apocalypse, it's the form the cosmic force assumes AT THE END OF THE MOVIE ONLY. Jean is nicknamed "Phoenix" by the kids at the Xavier School when she comes back from the space mission and is back to life.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    spoilers:
    But they still made it seem like Jean has multiple personality disorder in the movie. Or at least that is what I took from it. Which was a call back to Last Stand. This cosmic force only augmented her abilities and instability and this other "personality". Or at least that is how Sophie was asked to portray it.
    end of spoilers
    Doesn't that also stem from the comics?

spoilers:
    Originally the Phoenix was Jean's power. Then when the force was first added in, it was just a force NOT the "phoenix force". Jean's merger with the force created Phoenix.

Then after the retcon was introduced in 1986, Claremont wrote the Classic 8 backstory which shows the force as a featureless golden body whose "form, consciousness, and ability to speak" is derived from Jean. It is only after Jean and the force merge to become one that the phoenix raptor appears. In a previous backstory, Classic 6 it shows that Jean had a painting of the "Phoenix and the carpet" over her bed. Presumably she got the image from there. However, in Classic X-Men 42 backstory in 1990 it shows the phoenix raptor as a subconscious aspect of Jean's childhood mind.

The story about Feron shaping the force into the bird was a retcon that came later. It was an unnecessary retcon as it had already been stated and shown that the form came from Jean. It was all to remove Jean from the Phoenix mythos and diminish her role and to elevate other characters with the Phoenix.

Plus in the comics, Jean has been shown with her own Phoenix-like power with her pink psychic raptors and Teen Jean's pink body form.
    end of spoilers

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I've heard the gamut of reactions, but, if we're looking for another industry opinion, John Campea said it's a middle-of-the-road X-Men flick. Some good, some so-so and some bad.

At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not expecting the best of the best, but I'm not expecting the worst of the worst. At the very least, it's a chance for my wife and I to get out of the house for a few hours and nosh on some popcorn. That may not sound like much, but it does when you have three young kids.

Campea Link (It's the first thing he talks about):
    https://youtu.be/6mghmtFSrVA
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I've heard the gamut of reactions, but, if we're looking for another industry opinion, John Campea said it's a middle-of-the-road X-Men flick. Some good, some so-so and some bad.

At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not expecting the best of the best, but I'm not expecting the worst of the worst. At the very least, it's a chance for my wife and I to get out of the house for a few hours and nosh on some popcorn. That may not sound like much, but it does when you have three young kids.

Campea Link (It's the first thing he talks about):
    https://youtu.be/6mghmtFSrVA
    I think you and the fam will enjoy it! Certainly not the worst but definitely middle of the road towards the lower end for me.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

So I went offline for before the embargo lifted. Wanted to watch the movie blind and go in with zero expectations and I did. Had no idea what its reception was until after I saw it.

That said, I thought the movie was decent but nothing special. Good action, SFX, acting, and never drags. I thought it was an improvement over Apocalypse, better X3 and Origins. So I’m kinda shocked that it’s RT meter is below Origins. I did have a feeling that this was going to be another Godzilla 2 where it has good social media reaction but not good critical reception.

spoilers:
    Oh and I called D’Bari thing.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-07-2019 at 11:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Who the heck is Becky?
    Every white girl ever.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I enjoyed the movie

There's some definitely sub-par acting alongside a few questionable narrative points, but it was one of the more coherently directed superhero films of 2019. Characters have believable motivations for their actions, and are even allowed to cut loose with fewer ratings restrictions to make for some interesting fight scenes.

It lacks the series finality that some may have expected going in, but the X-Films have always been more about episodic adventures rather than building up new movies. It's as final as any of the previous films.

If you appreciated X-Men, X-2, FC, and DOFP I cannot think of a reason as to why you wouldn't be able to enjoy this movie. Not outside of your expectations having changed considerably in the last several years.

I for one am just happy that it didn't end with an incomprehensibly large battle featuring hundreds of X-Men fighting a mass of bland aliens.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    was rushed. Felt a bit short and I wanted more.
    That is exactly how I feel about this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

This was the best XMen film to date. It had the best acting, and gasp we see women in very promising next roles. Jean is well developed her, she shines and this is nothing like X3.

Here's Grace's spoiler review for the film.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    You beat me to it. Looking very grim for a 200M movie. But to be fair a lot of big blockbusters failing or underperforming this year. Fox should have foreseen this happening with after Apocalypse's performance.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutsinspace View Post
    Here's Grace's spoiler review for the film.

Grace is the epitome of what an opportunist contrarian is. If a franchise has a big Fandom and the critics or part of the Fandom of that IP is against the movie she will always go against the critics and offer cover for the hurt feelings of part of the fandom for views. Her formula has been blatant for quite a long time now. I like how she plays Fandoms like fiddles
    Last edited by Tofali; 06-07-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    A flaming poop of a box office weekend sad for DP.

Whoever that Grace is seems to pull the exact same face for every review video.