Page 134 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 3103
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    You beat me to it. Looking very grim for a 200M movie. But to be fair a lot of big blockbusters failing or underperforming this year. Fox should have foreseen this happening with after Apocalypse's performance.
    It hasn’t really been confirmed that it’s 200 million. I remember a report from the Hollywood reporter that it was under budget.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    You beat me to it. Looking very grim for a 200M movie. But to be fair a lot of big blockbusters failing or underperforming this year. Fox should have foreseen this happening with after Apocalypse's performance.
    it is and it serves them right. shading the mcu, shading x3 all of it was unnecessary. the director thinking having a space sequence and aliens makes a good dark Phoenix story shows he didnt understand the source material and I'm happy that there are some (including myself) who thought this was worse than x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    A flaming poop of a box office weekend sad for DP.
    lmfao hahahaha
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    the director thinking having a space sequence and aliens makes a good dark Phoenix story shows he didnt understand the source material
    They actually did more with the manipulation of Jean in the original cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Whoever that Grace is seems to pull the exact same face for every review video.
    She's more than a little off.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    This was the best XMen film to date. It had the best acting, and gasp we see women in very promising next roles. Jean is well developed her, she shines and this is nothing like X3.
    hahahaha

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Chris Claremont's post about the film on his facebook...

spoilers:
    A long (*long,* actually) time ago, in a comics (publishing) reality that pretty much no longer exists, Jean Grey piloted a damaged NASA/Starcore space shuttle through a deadly solar flare, willingly ready to sacrifice her own life to safeguard her fellow X-Men by safely returning them to Earth. Thing is, she didn’t die; she evolved into someone far more powerful;, more majestic, ultimately more terrifying; she became Phoenix. Within a year, she helped the X-Men save Creation itself, by confronting the mad ruler of the Shi’ar Empire and the M’kran Crystal. Those were the very best of times. Her life, her world with the man she loved, Scott Summers, was one of hope. But further down the road was her evolution into *Dark* Phoenix, as her human self was for a time overwhelmed by the near infinite power, and with it near-infinite temptation, of Phoenix. She had come too soon into the power that was ultimately destined to her hers; she found herself unable to control it and as a consequence, committed acts that could neither be overlooked nor forgiven. Those scales had to be balanced. Rather than take the risk of one day taking another life over the rest of her own what-she-reasonably-feared should be her own immortal life, she chose to end it, here and now, to make the fair exchange, the necessary sacrifice she’d chosen. To make aboard the Starcore shuttle. And now, in “Dark Phoenix” that story has come to cinematic life, courtesy of writer-director Simon Kinberg and star Sophie Turner. What happened in the original comic story is wonderfully well echoed on film. The true adversary isn’t a mega-power/villain like Thanos, nor really even the film’s D’bari antagonist, Jennifer Chastain, it is Jean herself, the dark side of her own character & soul. How can she deal with the power she possesses? How can she make amends for the wrongs she does, and does she even want to? Do friends matter? Does the man she loves matter? How can she go forward from this point, or even should she? Sophie brings these questions to life and especially the consequences of the choices she makes. This isn’t a traditional super-hero story, despite the costumes; it’s unlike any previous X-folk picture—if for no other reason than, for once, it isn’t all about Charles and Eric, even though they have their seminal roles to play. This is about the kids, for once, the choices they make, and must answer for. And the consequences. It isn’t a happy story; there isn’t a whole lot of punching and hitting. Robert Downey Jr had 10 years of active film story to arrive at his ultimate decision; he had back-story but he also had a tangible reality to fight for. His sacrifice was the culmination of heroic actions past and present and the fulfillment, societal *&* personal he achieved along the way. In “Dark Phoenix”, Jean faces an equivalent confrontation and primal choice—only what’s at stake here are all the yet-to-be’s of her life and the lives of the people she loves. And as a result, *everything* about the X-family’s lives are changed. One film, one story—but to my mind,way more personal, emotional impact. I like this film, a lot. Go see it, everyone, choose for yourself. Anyone want to talk about it, pro or con, I’m here on Facebook, or on Instagram; I’d love to chat. (Except—of course—when I’m trying to write something even better.) Thank you, Simon; thank you, Sophie—now let’s see what happens next!

Dark Phoenix Day in Los Angeles—what a Wow! Film’s officially open now, time to talk! First & foremost, my *great* thanks to @simondavidkinberg & @sophiet for bringing Jean’s story so wonderfully to life! Essentially true to the original comics story, it turned the focus of the X-film from Charley & Eric (& Hank & Raven) to the students, to Scott (& Ororo & Kurt) & most is all, to Jean and did so brilliantly. This is *her* story. Here, @jessicachastain is the putative adversary but the real foe is the temptation Jean feels herself. This is all about her, in a way Thanos/Avengers was not. Their battle was more traditional, Tony’s sacrifice a culmination of 10 years of story progression. Jean was a kid, college-age with her whole life ahead. She everything to live for. Tony faced sacrifice, to save not only the world but the wife & child he loved. Jean’s choice was *so* much more primal, and therefore difficult. And this movie tells that story oh so well. I laughed, sure, but I was also heart-broken. Here, I got to feel like the reading audience, all those years ago. My only beacon of hope, the firebird coursing across the sky in the very last scene. Who knows what’ll happen next? So, cheers to everyone but especially to Simin & Sophie; as I said, can’t wait to see what happens next. That’s how *I* feel, folks; now it’s your turn. @simondavidkinberg @sophiet @jessicachastain @ Jennifer Laurence @michaell_fassbender @sophiet @jamesmcavoyrealdeal @nicholashoult @itstyesheridan @alexandrashipppp @cbcebulski @hutch.parker
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Chris Claremont's post about the film on his facebook...
    Free paid trip

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    Free paid trip
    Maybe as the creator he sees things differently. Imagine having your work adapted to the big screen. Most people would feel proud.

The problem with this cut of the film is that they skipped over the Jean manipulation in favor of an action set piece(albeit good action set piece) and the runtime needed to be longer. Don’t know who made the call, Kinberg or Fox.

I really want to see the original third act now and all the deleted scenes. I think all the reshoots should have done was add in more action scenes. And of course, make the movie longer.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-07-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Maybe as the creator he sees things differently. Imagine having your work adapted to the big screen. Most people would feel proud.
    His own interpretation of his own work is odd though. His post essentially places half the blame for the D'Bari on Jean, half on the Phoenix, and zero on Jason Wyngarde or Emma Frost. It just reads weird. I know he couldn't mention them because it wouldn't be a movie endorsement if he mentioned characters that aren't in the movie, but it still feels weird.

BANNED

I dont think comparing Jean's one movie arc to the ten movie span of Tony Stark is at all wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I dont think comparing Jean's one movie arc to the ten movie span of Tony Stark is at all wise.
    not at all he is trying to validate a mediocre film. he is being gracious which is fine but this movie didnt do the dark Phoenix any justice anymore than x3 did.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    They actually did more with the manipulation of Jean in the original cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    The problem with this cut of the film is that they skipped over the Jean manipulation in favor of an action set piece(albeit good action set piece) and the runtime needed to be longer. Don’t know who made the call, Kinberg or Fox.

I really want to see the original third act now and all the deleted scenes. I all the reshoots should have done was add in more action scenes. And of course, make the movie longer.
    agreed with all these points!!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

On the bright side, when future movies adapt the Dark Phoenix story again (and make no mistake, they will) the bar will be very low and they will have the luxury of being able to learn from the mistakes of 2 different movies.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    On the bright side, when future movies adapt the Dark Phoenix story again (and make no mistake, they will) the bar will be very low and they will have the luxury of being able to learn from the mistakes of 2 different movies.
    The problem is that everybody already knows how it ends. We had two bad adaptations but they more or less spoiled the whole thing ruining any surprise from the future.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The problem is that everybody already knows how it ends. We had two bad adaptations but they more or less spoiled the whole thing ruining any surprise from the future.
    Remakes and prequel movies prove that surprises are not necessary to make a great film.

The Phoenix story will rise again from the ashes, eventually, and one day it’ll be done that is more satisfactory to more people.

On that note,I like DP just fine. But if could be better.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?