Page 137 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 3103

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Can we all at least appreciate that the X-Men is finally working as a team.
    No, I refuse to give this franchise any praise for doing the bare f-ing minimum.

Oh, you remembered that X-Men(plural!) are supposed to be a team? I need to calm down.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    In this movie the phoenix force was just that, a force. It was not something more than that. I liked that part. I don't like the Phoenix force being its own character (but I know it has become that in the comics). I liked this story was the way the Phoenix was originally meant to be.. a story about Jean Grey.
    I prefer a Phoenix that has characterization outside of redhead fetish.

But even forces have some kind of characterization to them in the form of lore. Looking at the most obvious is the Force from Star Wars and its assorted lore about being divided into the Living Force and Cosmic Force and any magic system. It has lore behind it including history, figures associated with it, and some rules behind them.

The Phoenix Force in this movie certainly has history and obviously has a person associated with it, but the method used to communicate this was much to be desired.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    In fact, if MCU makes it own version of Phoenix saga, we couldn't be sure Jean will sacrifice herself until it happens.

We should not forget that MCU has also taken quite a lot of liberties with the stories and characters and how these develop.

MCU X-Men movies will never be the pages of the comic adapted with total fidelity.
    "Total Fidelity" is a good way to make a **** movie. Comics and movies are different mediums and call for different approaches.

I don't want this story told with absolute "fidelity". I want it told with care towards the heart of the story: love, sacrifice, and family. You can't do that with rushed, shitty characterizations and an array of X-men that are little more than background noise.

The MCU has thrived with it's adaptations precisely because they understand what made the story resonate. I'll take a few liberties to get ridiculously well crafted, emotional resonance with the audience every single time.

This appears to be an unpopular opinion, but I actually really liked this movie. It was nice to see the characters working as a team, I felt almost everyone got a chance to shine, and Cyclops was great. While his relationship with jean wasn't built up much, I felt like the audience of course knew there was a connection and that they cared for each other. I get that this is not the phoenix saga or dark phoenix saga adapted right, but it was a fun summer popcorn flick. I expected it to be horrible based on reviews and people on this board, but i ended up liking it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    "Total Fidelity" is a good way to make a **** movie. Comics and movies are different mediums and call for different approaches.

I don't want this story told with absolute "fidelity". I want it told with care towards the heart of the story: love, sacrifice, and family. You can't do that with rushed, shitty characterizations and an array of X-men that are little more than background noise.

The MCU has thrived with it's adaptations precisely because they understand what made the story resonate. I'll take a few liberties to get ridiculously well crafted, emotional resonance with the audience every single time.
    I totally agree. Comics and movies are pretty different medium, so it couldn't (and shouldn't) be an absolute "fidelity" adaptation.

I wasn't criticizing the way the MCU handle things. I really like the MCU.

My main point was that we couldn't say we know how a Phoenix Saga in MCU would end just because you have seen the versions of Fox.
    Last edited by Konja7; 06-07-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Mighty Member

Now I know why I hate this movie. It takes place in 1992.

No seriously, it all makes sense. I hated the decade jumping gimmick. I was fine with it in First Class to Days of Future Past because it was a time travel story and it made sense thematically since Xavier was basically a stoner.

The problem between DoFP to Apocalypse, and then Apocalypse to Dark Phoenix is that Dark Phoenix feels unearned. One movie, these people are just a bunch of teenagers who don't know how to use their powers and basically just met each other. The next movie, they're professionals who are all chummy with each other. I hate using this criticism, but show, don't tell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I totally agree. Comics and movies are pretty different medium, so it couldn't (and shouldn't) be an absolute "fidelity" adaptation.

I wasn't criticizing the way the MCU handle things. I really like the MCU.

My main point was that we couldn't say we know how a Phoenix Saga in MCU would end just because you have seen the versions of Fox.
    Very fair. Youre right, they are hard to predict beyond the fact theyll probably get it right, however they choose to do it.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    This appears to be an unpopular opinion
    It seems to liked by the casual movie goer based on the reactions I found on Twitter search.

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

So my review today was just that, to a casual viewer its a well enough made movie

But most people know better by now. The movie seemed to miss the point of the story despite having all the right ingredients.

What do YOU think this movie is trying to say? What have we learned from this story?

Personally I tried to go in to have fun, and obviously w/ low expectations. But you guys were not kidding, I found a movie so neutral - that it didnt even have an ending.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

I'm shocked but I actually really liked it?

Are critics so used to epic MCU films that character driven and focused movie like this feels mundane to them. The only part that felt the movie dragging was the action scenes, particularly the train sequence at the end. Every time, I thought the D'Bari were all dealt with, more kept popping up and they all did the same damn thing. Also, Jean was sidelined for most of it so it bought all the momentum to a screeching halt.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. I knew Mystique was going to die but I still really felt her death more than any other X-Men film death with the exception of Jean in X2. I also felt genuinely sorry and scared for Jean much of the film.
    What I'm most scared about though? Disney execs blaming this film's failure on the lack of Wolverine...
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Absolutely, yes. Best adaptation. No contest.
    Of course its the best..it was basically Chris Claremont put on prime time with the exact make up of the classic book. This one had Mystique being a hero and inspirational..nuff said...lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Yeah, while I would understand people disliking it for being a bit brutal I feel that they made good use of his abilities in the scenario. The film gave him good enough reason to cut loose.

In general, the train fight was an enjoyable highlight of the movie. It was surprisingly well shot, and composed. Not a random flying horse drawing your attention or anything.
    Hes never used his teleporting ability with that type of violence...unique turn of events.

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer Tony View Post
    I'm shocked but I actually really liked it?

Are critics so used to epic MCU films that character driven and focused movie like this feels mundane to them. The only part that felt the movie dragging was the action scenes, particularly the train sequence at the end. Every time, I thought the D'Bari were all dealt with, more kept popping up and they all did the same damn thing. Also, Jean was sidelined for most of it so it bought all the momentum to a screeching halt.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. I knew Mystique was going to die but I still really felt her death more than any other X-Men film death with the exception of Jean in X2. I also felt genuinely sorry and scared for Jean much of the film.
    What I'm most scared about though? Disney execs blaming this film's failure on the lack of Wolverine...
    You can't be serious. With all the things going against this film, the last thought on Disney's mind is **** we need to get Logan in the MCU asap.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Now I know why I hate this movie. It takes place in 1992.

No seriously, it all makes sense. I hated the decade jumping gimmick. I was fine with it in First Class to Days of Future Past because it was a time travel story and it made sense thematically since Xavier was basically a stoner.

The problem between DoFP to Apocalypse, and then Apocalypse to Dark Phoenix is that Dark Phoenix feels unearned. One movie, these people are just a bunch of teenagers who don't know how to use their powers and basically just met each other. The next movie, they're professionals who are all chummy with each other. I hate using this criticism, but show, don't tell.
    Hmm, demonstrating that the characters have grown into a team of professionals who trust each other by sending them in a dangerous mission is the very definition of “show don’t tell”.