Page 150 of 207 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 3103
    BANNED

Well, this wasn't a garbage fire like I expected, but I am certainly relieved it's finally over.

From Cyclops shoving a cup in Storm's face like we were suddenly in the movie The Help to the continued tired, queer-baiting focus on Xavier and Magneto, I'm so glad this tone deaf take on the franchise has finally come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    when Jean flies it is obvious she is using wires. That is bad
    That's been the case with every single X-film. Sabertooth jumping around was the worst offender in W:O.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherZero View Post
    Well, this wasn't a garbage fire like I expected, but I am certainly relieved it's finally over.

From Cyclops shoving a cup in Storm's face like we were suddenly in the movie The Help to the continued tired, queer-baiting focus on Xavier and Magneto, I'm so glad this tone deaf take on the franchise has finally come to an end.
    Wait What? Xavier and Magneto have been involved with women since First Class where was the Queer Baiting I mean their friendship is queer baiting?

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

I think theyre refering to the "Old friend.." lines, lingering eye contact and tension,

but I am of the mind that it's just the writers being so effing one dimensional and recycling the same line over and over again because they couldnt come up with anything new of substance to say between Magneto and Prof.

When the camera panned and the cafe name was Vieux Amis I literally jumped out of seat it made me furious, it wasnt enough that they overuse the line to the point of camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    The biggest problem with this movie is how dated it is.
    If it were released in 2006, replacing The Last Stand, we would ignore the lack of character development, the CW level action scenes and random villains.
    But these things are unacceptable in 2019, explaining why it's being shamed even being better than The Last Stand or X-men Origins: Wolverine.

Fox is very much stuck following a formula for the X-Franchise. They couldn't break out of it. If a script didn't match the formula, it had to be rewritten to match the formula. And the formula has nothing to do with the comics, it's all about elements from earlier movies and other franchises. If you're putting money into a $200+ million blockbuster, you want assurances it will do well. So formulas and putting far too much emphasis on the actors is what happens.

There is very little understanding at Fox about why anyone watches any superhero movies and they place a ridiculous amount of emphasis on the actors. There are far too many execs who don't think people are going to see Wolverine and Mystique - they think people want to see Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence. Hence why there are silly comments from industry insiders on Deadline blaming Sophie Turner not being pretty enough on promotional material for Dark Phoenix bombing. That's the same nonsense that's been happening for the last decade - literally, there are crappy special effects in trailers and edits are made to put in more Jennifer Lawrence not in Mystique makeup so people will see and recognize her. But they are stuck back in the time when studios were analyzing why Hunger Games and Twilight were successful and everything was attributed to the actors' popularity. (It really is difficult to explain why so many people went to see Twilight).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Wait What? Xavier and Magneto have been involved with women since First Class where was the Queer Baiting I mean their friendship is queer baiting?
    The subtext is there and has been acknowledged by producers and the actors. They knowingly play into it which is problematic. As noble and/or innocent as their intentions may be, this is something the queer community faces constantly. Where we aren't outright erased, we're often just teased. It's unfair and not befitting a franchise that espouses a message of inclusivity.

https://www.themarysue.com/x-men-pro...-magneto-ship/

http://nerdbastards.com/2011/02/23/x...avoy-explains/

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    edits are made to put in more Jennifer Lawrence not in Mystique makeup so people will see and recognize her.
    Doesn’t JLaw literally get sick from the make-up?

The subtext is there and has been acknowledged by producers and the actors. They knowingly play into it which is problematic. As noble and/or innocent as their intentions may be, this is something the queer community faces constantly. Where we aren't outright erased, we're often just teased. It's unfair and not befitting a franchise that espouses a message of inclusivity.

I see nothing in any quote or comment by anyone that suggest anything more than Charles and Erik loving each other but nothing to say it's a romantic love.

It would be fascinating to see Charles and Erik actually made to be lovers in a re-imagining in the future. They can be bi, so they can still have their children, but it would definitely add another layer to their rivalry. Ultimate X-Men came closest to this, where they both liked telepathically talking to each other moreso than their wives and eventually left them for each other(Ultimate Legion/Proteus story explored this in detail).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

I see nothing in any quote or comment by anyone that suggest anything more than Charles and Erik loving each other but nothing to say it's a romantic love.
    From the source article found here:

Cherik's relationship is clearly a strong one. Could it be something more than platonic?

"I like the questions, I like the speculation, and certainly James and Michael like to play into it and the whole cast, too," says Hutch Parker, who's produced the X-Men movies since "X2: X-Men United."

Astonishing Member

That's the complicated situation with queebaiting. Many times it will depend on the perspective, since we can not be sure of what creators think.

A relationship in fiction for some only looks like a close friendship, but others will see it as the creator teasing romance (that won't happen).
    Last edited by Konja7; 06-10-2019 at 09:31 AM.

The most comparable movie in the franchise with Dark Phoenix is X-men 1, You probably left that movie thinking it is was pretty solid movie maybe even good and with repeat viewing and years of good movies coming out after you realize more and more that movie wasn't that good. That is what is going to happen to X-men Dark Phoenix it is not going to hold up with time.
    People came out of X-men liking it and thinking it was a pretty awesome movie. It's only the years of improvements in other movies that have made it loose it's sheen. Dark Phoenix feels dated and underone coming right out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    That's the complicated situation with queebaiting. Many times it will depend on the perspective, since we can not be sure of what creators think.

What for some only looks like a close friendship, others will see it as the creator teasing romance (that won't happen).
    What is the problem? Friendship can be as complicated, intense as romantic love. Unless the producers go frankly to that direction (which is unlikely), anything can be believed. Or like Claremont said on this subject:
    “My thinking was god bless ambiguity. Sexual orientation in that instance is irrelevant, they are best friends."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    What is the problem? Friendship can be as complicated, intense as romantic love. Unless the producers go frankly to that direction (which is unlikely), anything can be believed. Or like Claremont said on this subject:
    “My thinking was god bless ambiguity. Sexual orientation in that instance is irrelevant, they are best friends."
    The problem is that queer relationships get erased or half-heartedly teased more than they are actually represented. In this instance, a producer on the film acknowledged that the queer subtext is being played up. That is queerbaiting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Doesn’t JLaw literally get sick from the make-up?
    I'm not sure. I only know about the trailers, not production. There's been far more attention to how Jennifer looks in the trailers and how soon she appears (without Mystique makeup) than terrible special effects shots.