Page 174 of 207 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3103

I suspect the reduction in marketing was done on purpose. I was personally tired of the commercials I did see... so I feel there was plenty, however... I think the movie itself was already known to be dead on arrival.

Between the X-movies generally sucking lately... Dark Phoenix being a retread of Last Stand, which for a while was the WORST X-movie of them all... to the X-Men going back to Marvel with the Fox deal and nothing in this movie was going to carry over... why bother advertising it?

They say that in order for a movie to make a profit, it has to make back like 2.5 times it's listed budget because of marketing... A LOT of decent movies have been considered bombs because the budget got too high and even making more than the budget wasn't enough to be considered 'profit'. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they cut their losses and tried to make the most of it.

I saw it... It was 'ok'... but I walked in with REALLY low expectations, and most of them were met :P

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I suspect the reduction in marketing was done on purpose. I was personally tired of the commercials I did see... so I feel there was plenty, however... I think the movie itself was already known to be dead on arrival.

Between the X-movies generally sucking lately... Dark Phoenix being a retread of Last Stand, which for a while was the WORST X-movie of them all... to the X-Men going back to Marvel with the Fox deal and nothing in this movie was going to carry over... why bother advertising it?

They say that in order for a movie to make a profit, it has to make back like 2.5 times it's listed budget because of marketing... A LOT of decent movies have been considered bombs because the budget got too high and even making more than the budget wasn't enough to be considered 'profit'. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they cut their losses and tried to make the most of it.

I saw it... It was 'ok'... but I walked in with REALLY low expectations, and most of them were met :P
    I does feel like Fox just straight up abandoned the movie by putting it in June. According to Hollywood Reporter the filmmakers begged the studio not to do it and they are glad that Marvel Studio now has the rights. It seemed that Disney cared more about this movie than Fox, they are the reason why you saw those commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I does feel like Fox just straight up abandoned the movie by putting it in June. According to Hollywood Reporter the filmmakers begged the studio not to do it and they are glad that Marvel Studio now has the rights. It seemed that Disney cared more about this movie than Fox, they are the reason why you saw those commercials.
    I wouldn't have been too surprised if it had ended up direct-to-DVD... but really, WHY rehash Dark Phoneix? SOOOOO many X-Men stories and they remake what killed the first wave of movies? It's a mediocre story that hasn't aged well at best that is apparently unfilmable. Hopefully Marvel doesn't try to retread that again in the next 5 years...

I wouldn't have been too surprised if it had ended up direct-to-DVD... but really, WHY rehash Dark Phoneix? SOOOOO many X-Men stories and they remake what killed the first wave of movies? It's a mediocre story that hasn't aged well at best that is apparently unfilmable. Hopefully Marvel doesn't try to retread that again in the next 5 years...
    X3 didn’t really killed the first wave of film it was meant to end it, hence why it was called “The Last Stand”. After watching the movie twice and reading some interviews, it seems more like they were trying to rehash Mystique’s narrative arc in Days of Future Past but with Jean.

DOFP was about Xavier deciding to have hope in Raven instead of controlling her resulting her not pulling the trigger on Trask and becoming like her original timeline counterpart. This movie makes several parallels to X3 like having Jean levitate Xavier in the air about to dust him, but this time Xavier gets through to her unlike Last Stand where he is ripped apart because Xavier in that timeline tried to control her and said she couldn’t control her power. This Xavier does the opposite and has hope in Jean controlling her powers, thus she spares him and doesn’t truly cross over into the dark side.

I noticed that both films have similar opening narrations about evolving beyond a destined fated.

Charles Xavier: “Are we destined down this path, destined to destroy ourselves like so many species before us? Or can we evolve fast enough to change ourselves… change our fate? Is the future truly set?”
    Jean Grey: “Who are we? Are we simply what others want us to be? Are we destined to a fate beyond our control? Or can we evolve, become something more?”
    They were trying to replicate the emotional resonance of DOFP. But the problem is they don’t make a direct reference to Jean’s fate in the original time like DOFP did with Mystique. It relied too much on you having knowledge of previous films in more than one way.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-27-2019 at 02:49 AM.

BANNED

MCU will not do another Dark Phoenix story. It’s been fine twice and it just cannot be done again. Phoenix/Jean can be one of their cosmic heroes, since the cosmic line and films do well with them.

The original DPS had Mastermind corrupt Jean in what would be considered sexual assault, and the victim of sexual assault ended up dying in that storyline while the shellfire Club as awhole was not punished. You cannot retell that story in film. Which is why both the last stand and Dark Phoenix gave Jean deep psychological issues that needed to
    Be addressed.

BANNED

Already addressed this. s
    Fourth time: What should they have done?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Fourth time: What should they have done?
    Apparently use 'X-Men' in the Dark Phoenix title so it would have more than doubled its' current box office.

Which doesn't really explain Deadpool's success without having to use the word X-Men in the title. Or Logan.

Already addressed this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...mined/ech9be1/

This is why marketing executives in March were panicking despite there already being a trailer out. I’ll try to found the actual studies.

Studios with this mindset put such movies in months when there is not such competition(Venom). August/September and January are dumping grounds. But they chose this June of all places.

Its very weird. But based on reports that doesn’t seem to be much of the case. People were simply getting laid off because of the merger.
    They moved it from the holiday season to February 14 which had little competition but then Christmas 2018 became a killing field where all the big releases were looking to cannibalize each other and they wanted Alita given a better chance and gave it February 14.

So where to put Dark Phoenix?

Well September has It 2 and It was a big hit so they probably wanted to avoid that and going by the film release schedule of 2019 the only two weak spots were/are mid/late August and early June and releasing in June meant avoiding having to take Dark Phoenix to comic-con again a comic-con where potentially Marvel Studios might announce some future plans for the Fox properties and could kill even the little interest that Dark Phoenix had if seen as a skippable film after any possible Marvel announcements.

I don't see much faith in the film and they wanted to release in the least combative time and would had given it at least a small chance at making a profit.

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

They were trying to replicate the emotional resonance of DOFP. But the problem is they don’t make a direct reference to Jean’s fate in the original time like DOFP did with Mystique. It relied too much on you having knowledge of previous films in more than one way.

this is the third time I see you say that this movie is the change of fate from Jean's original timeline and I really really disagree with you

to me, there is nothing in the story that suggests that this references or is connected at all to X3 or Famke. They said this movie is meant to replace X3, DOFP whole purpose was to make us forget it. Why would they want us to be reminded of it at all? They wouldnt make this story payoff rely on Last stand.

I think any similarities are due to the source material and same team of creators. You're reading into something that was not there. I dont think this movie relied on previous films. It was very divorced. It couldve been a whole new cast and we wouldnt even know it was part of the "trilogy" or whatever or a franchise for that matter. Even the Apocalypse Phoenix which was the only thing connected to this movie was not referenced, they simply forgot it. I think you misinterpret Jean's Fate line as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Apparently use 'X-Men' in the Dark Phoenix title so it would have more than doubled its' current box office.

Which doesn't really explain Deadpool's success without having to use the word X-Men in the title. Or Logan.
    Ryan Reynolds And Hugh Jackman are bigger stars than Sophie. Sophie’s acting was good, it’s just that her name is big enough. Nothing that went wrong with this film had to do with her, so I hope she is cast as Phoenix/Jean in MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Ryan Reynolds And Hugh Jackman are bigger stars than Sophie. Sophie’s acting was good, it’s just that her name is big enough. Nothing that went wrong with this film had to do with her, so I hope she is cast as Phoenix/Jean in MCU.
    Well she won't be. MCU x-men will be fresh take

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I really doubt the MCU will use any of the previous actors. Maybe it is for the best. I was never a fan of Sophie, I don't hate her but didn't like her either.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I really doubt the MCU will use any of the previous actors. Maybe it is for the best. I was never a fan of Sophie, I don't hate her but didn't like her either.
    Honestly, I can still see them casting those actors for different roles. I love Sophie too and she still has a lot of star power. I think if she does end up in the MCU, it won't be as Jean Grey. Perhaps she'll play another character with the X-Men. Maybe she'll end up in another franchise. Let's not forget that both Chris Evans and Michael B. Jordan made the transition from Fox Marvel to the MCU. I think Sophie Turner definitely has what it takes to make that transition, as well.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    They moved it from the holiday season to February 14 which had little competition but then Christmas 2018 became a killing field where all the big releases were looking to cannibalize each other and they wanted Alita given a better chance and gave it February 14.

So where to put Dark Phoenix?

Well September has It 2 and It was a big hit so they probably wanted to avoid that and going by the film release schedule of 2019 the only two weak spots were/are mid/late August and early June and releasing in June meant avoiding having to take Dark Phoenix to comic-con again a comic-con where potentially Marvel Studios might announce some future plans for the Fox properties and could kill even the little interest that Dark Phoenix had if seen as a skippable film after any possible Marvel announcements.

I don't see much faith in the film and they wanted to release in the least combative time and would had given it at least a small chance at making a profit.
    The plans on putting the X-Men in the MCU were known long before by Bob Iger though. So I doubt it has any to do with a MCU announcements and most of the general audience wouldn’t know that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    this is the third time I see you say that this movie is the change of fate from Jean's original timeline and I really really disagree with you

to me, there is nothing in the story that suggests that this references or is connected at all to X3 or Famke. They said this movie is meant to replace X3, DOFP whole purpose was to make us forget it. Why would they want us to be reminded of it at all? They wouldnt make this story payoff rely on Last stand.

I think any similarities are due to the source material and same team of creators. You're reading into something that was not there. I dont think this movie relied on previous films. It was very divorced. It couldve been a whole new cast and we wouldnt even know it was part of the "trilogy" or whatever or a franchise for that matter. Even the Apocalypse Phoenix which was the only thing connected to this movie was not referenced, they simply forgot it. I think you misinterpret Jean's Fate line as well.
    When the first trailer dropped I think I remember Kinberg admitting there were X3 parallels(I’ll try to found it) and DOFP had flashbacks of Jean’s death in X3.

Her death is later referenced again at the end of the movie where Wolverine is in awe of Jean being alive. If DOFP was suppose to make us forget about X3 it did a terrible job.

EDIT: Not to mention him and Singer have went on for years about how these prequels are suppose to explore "time being like a river" which was mentioned back in DOFP.

The Phoenix moment Apocalypse(how was it ignored when that was established as just her mutant power?) is not the only connection. That movie set-up the notion that Jean’s destiny is to destroy the world and that is touched upon in this movie with the D’Bari’s plan to use her to recreate their home world. Vuk even referred to it as her “destiny”.

It also does establish that Jean’s greatest fear is losing control of her powers and hurting someone, which happens twice in Dark Phoenix. The tragic of this story is that Jean’s nightmare is becoming a reality. So the film was paying off on something a previous film established.

I rather see her as Emma Frost.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-27-2019 at 10:09 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post

I completely agree, it's why I keep pushing back at this weird obsession. The simplest explanation is that people didn't care. I don't think there was any way to fix that, even if the movie had been a brilliant masterpiece.