Page 200 of 207 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204 ... LastLast
Results 2,986 to 3,000 of 3103

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Agree about the lame TK fighting.

But cheering for jean to be killed, I mean, we got that kinda conflict in the original dps comics- some teammates thought she should be fought for and others thought she should be fought against. So I don’t think wanting her to die is a good metric of movie quality.
    Which teammates are we referring to?

Nightcrawler compared her to Hitler but he wasn't for killing her.

Storm? Was trying not to hurt her friend.

Scott is self explanatory

Wolverine despite being the killer was not trying to kill her.

Colossus pulled his punches.

The ones who wanted her dead were the shiar. Even her moment of consuming an entire galaxy was lost on the part that they were all vegetables.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post

The ones who wanted her dead were the shiar. Even her moment of consuming an entire galaxy was lost on the part that they were all vegetables.
    He actually did try to kill her.

Mighty Member

The fight choreography honestly is lacking in many places. When good fight choreography shows up, in only highlights the problems.

Within the train scene, you have Magneto doing the generic hand waving when it came to fighting before evolving into martial arts movements. I enjoyed the small bits of martial arts without making it too much like Avatar The Last Airbender, though this movie could take a few pages from their fight choreography.

Then you have Storm who does basically nothing except fire off lightning and wind. It's not creative. It's boring. There are many applications of lightning she could have used and didn't. Not to mention, she can do a lot more than shoot lightning. She controls freaking weather.

Then you have Nightcrawler who tries his best to live up to X-Men 2 and the assault on the White House. It was pretty good although I didn't like the cinematography in certain places.

Then you have the titular Dark Phoenix. The way the camera is shot makes it so boring when she just stares and closes fists to use her powers. It's supposed to be intimidating, but it certainly wasn't because the cinematography wasn't there to make it intimidating.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 09-11-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I think this movie’s reception would have been better if the marketing wasn’t so misleading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0sw9Y29GVY
    The next chapter of this series.

I’ve notice that a lot of people saying that Mystique’s death happens in the first act, but it really happens in the middle of the second act to serve as the midpoint setback. I wonder if that’s because the trailers made the t look like Mystique’s death is the inciting incident.

So I’m watching the deleted scenes in Dark Phoenix with director commentary on. It’s interesting because it really gives some insight as to kinberg’s priorities and mindset.

In virtually every deleted scene he’s like “we deleted this because jean’s not in it.
    We knew how important it was for this to be a jean story so we wanted to skip and trim all these.”

He’s not wrong that dark Phoenix needs to be jean centric, but it occurs to me on how he’s saying these things that he thinks THAT Is they key to dark Phoenix- making jean central. In other words- it seems like he thinks x3 failed because Phoenix wasn’t the main plot- NOT because of all the other story elements that were crucial to the story (jean’s relationships, shi’ar, having an actual Phoenix raptor, hellfire club l, etc)

In other words i really think he thought making the movie jean centric was enough to do a good dark Phoenix story

(For the record I know it was supposed to be two films and was dramtically altered later- I’m just commenting on the actual product we got).
    Last edited by Grey; 09-16-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post

Maybe “Cheer for her to be dead” is a stretch by my part but there were definitely several panels of the xmen where some were questioning whether they were fighting for the right side.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

Is there really still stuff to hash out about this abysmal mess?

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    Plenty since it’s been released on home video recently.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    Some of us enjoy discussing it. It’s Not hurting anyone.

I found it strange that it said we don’t get to know Jean Grey because they explore her backstory and the plot resolved around her childhood trauma.

That and asking why Magneto is a free man when that was answered at the end of Apocalypse and Mystique was trying to kill Trask(bad guy).

I know it’s a comedy series but still.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-17-2019 at 04:40 PM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

So I got my bluray yesterday, rewatched the movie last night and...I still like it! It's not the best the franchise has to offer, but it's far from the worst. It basically sits in the middle, in my mind.

What I think it most striking about it is that it simply doesn't feel like the other X-Men movies, and I attribute this to two things: the soundtrack and the shot composition. After so many movies with John Ottman's score, which I liked (especially the main theme), Zimmer changes things up and goes with a lot moodier, understated (almost atmospheric) soundtrack, and it definitely suits the tone the movie is going for.

The other thing that stands out in my mind is just how this movie is shot. The angles, the various styles of closeups, the action choreography, this movie definitely looks more like a psychological drama than a traditional superhero film, and I think that's to the film's benefit.

Regarding the story, I think Kinberg did about as good as you could ask, given all the crap the studio appears to have done behind the scenes: cutting down to one film at the last minute, making him change Chastain's villain a dozen times, forcing the reshot climax so that it didn't bear a faint resemblance to Captain Marvel, etc. It's by no means perfect, with the main issue being that it's too short, which results in some characters not being given quite enough to work with (Cyclops [though this is still the best he's been on the big screen] Storm and Nightcrawler, mainly) and some given nothing really at all (Vuk and the D'Bari).

The villains seem to have suffered the most due to all the various behind-the-scenes shenanigans, but Chastain does what she can with what she's given. The change in her performance in that first scene at the dinner party is pretty dang striking. Again, a few more minutes to flesh out this character and her race, including their motivations, abilities, hierarchy, etc. would've gone a long way.

But I don't want to dwell on the negative, so back to the positive! As I mentioned earlier, this is the best Cyclops has been on-screen thus far. He's capable, dedicated and take-charge when he needs to (he basically overrides Xavier when he drafts Storm for the New York mission). He also gets to drop the F bomb, which is both kinda funny and pretty in-character for that moment, and gets a ricochet beam KO! I also believed his dynamic with Jean was genuine, though I would've liked to have seen more of them together prior to things getting too intense.

The last thing I wanted to touch on here is Jean. This is essentially a Jean Grey solo movie, and I think they did her extremely well. I've seen complaints about how Jean doesn't seemingly have any agency in the film, and my response to that is, "That's the whole freaking point of the movie." Jean is constantly being manipulated in the film. Xavier manipulates her memories when she's a child, and when those memories start to break free, she's rages against that attempted control. This is compounded when she learns that her dad is alive, but when she learns that he basically gave her away after the car accident, Jean gets lost in a fog. Vuk then enters the picture, helping her understand the force inside her while feeding into her paranoia and lack of belonging, attempting to manipulate her into embracing godhood.

Jean's constantly being pushed and pulled into these various directions, and the crux of the film is what she will do when she finally regains her agency, which she finally does on the train when she vows to "protect [her] family." It was also really cool seeing her take out the D'Bari like she did, even if the breaking/dusting effect has been used a few too many times in superhero movies going all the way back to X3: I'd have preferred she burn them out, but maybe char grilling a buncha guys caused them to bump up against a rating restriction. Either way, the combat felt much more visceral than combat involving Jean usually does, and seeing her shrug off getting impaled only to basically say, "Nope" and annihilate her would-be killer was so awesome.

Overall, I still really enjoy the movie. I'd have loved to seen the original, two-film vision, but I can't say I'm disappointed in what we got.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

I pre-ordered my Blu-Ray last week. It arrived yesterday. In seeing it again, I feel like Dark Phoenix has a lot more re-watch value than Far From Home or even Endgame. Now, that's not to say that Dark Phoenix is better than Endgame. But Endgame is this big, epic 3-hour spectacle. It's not an easy movie to re-watch. Dark Phoenix is more concise and focused. I feel like I can watch that movie again and again without it ever dragging. I'm glad it's now part of my collection. It should make my next plane trip a lot more enjoyable.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I pre-ordered my Blu-Ray last week. It arrived yesterday. In seeing it again, I feel like Dark Phoenix has a lot more re-watch value than Far From Home or even Endgame. Now, that's not to say that Dark Phoenix is better than Endgame. But Endgame is this big, epic 3-hour spectacle. It's not an easy movie to re-watch. Dark Phoenix is more concise and focused. I feel like I can watch that movie again and again without it ever dragging. I'm glad it's now part of my collection. It should make my next plane trip a lot more enjoyable.
    I, for one, like Dark Phoenix way more than Endgame, though that isn't hard because there's very little I actually liked about Endgame. I understand that I'm in the extreme minority there.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."