Page 8 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I like the pic they're using.

Awesome! Love their choice of promo images. Looking forward to the next trailer. I'm surprised they aren't releasing it alongside Alita, but given how that movie looks like it's going to bomb, that may be for the best. This way, it's closer to Captain Marvel and that may help build some momentum.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
    This could be a three part movie. No way can they fit it all into one movie unless they want to leave a lot of things out.
    IMO they should had done two film Phoenix and Dark Phoenix and like Infinity War or going way back Superman 1978 and Superman II film the bulk if not all together.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    IMO they should had done two film Phoenix and Dark Phoenix and like Infinity War or going way back Superman 1978 and Superman II film the bulk if not all together.
    Infinity War still left out some major characters though.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Infinity War still left out some major characters though.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the fact that Mistress Death and Adam Warlock weren't in Infinity War is a freaking crime.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the fact that Mistress Death and Adam Warlock weren't in Infinity War is a freaking crime.
    See, I think this version of htat story is far better than the original. Much like I think X2 was a better telling of the God loves/Man Kills story.

Then again, I've never been one to think movies or shows have to be beholden to source material.

Warlock was being saved for Guardians 3 and sadly god knows where that goes now and I for one am Happy Mistress Death was dropped I always hated that as Thanos' motivation for his obsession with Death.

Where as Hellfire Club notably Mastermind was a major part of Dark Phoenix and the Shi'ar and Imperial Guard shows her true danger when even they think she needs to be killed. It adds more depth if she once saved them hence my reason for feeling the film needed to be two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Warlock was being saved for Guardians 3 and sadly god knows where that goes now and I for one am Happy Mistress Death was dropped I always hated that as Thanos' motivation for his obsession with Death.

Where as Hellfire Club notably Mastermind was a major part of Dark Phoenix and the Shi'ar and Imperial Guard shows her true danger when even they think she needs to be killed. It adds more depth if she once saved them hence my reason for feeling the film needed to be two.
    Whether or not you like Mistress Death or not, that's the entirety of Thanos's character motivation, which is why her exclusion in Infinity War bothers me so much. They took this character that I adore and changed the very root of who he is, and not for the better. In the comics, he has this very romantic, almost spiritual, relationship with the physical manifestation of one of the universe's most fundamental concepts, and, in the movies, he's basically Ra's al Ghul in space, which is far, far less interesting.

Regarding Jean and the Hellfire Club/Shi'ar, they are merely external factors. They aren't the primary crux of Jean's story, which is her being seduced into freely exercising this power that she has, regardless of the consequences. The Hellfire Club push her along the path, yes, but there's nothing about the nature of the story that dictates that the Hellfire Club be the ones to do that. Any other villain with like motivations could do that and create the same result because the heart of the story (Jean and her relationship to her power) wouldn't have changed.

Same with the Shi'ar: they're there to ratchet up the stakes and show the characters (and audience) just how widespread the consequences of Jean's giving into her darker impulses extend. The same effect can be had by swapping out the Shi'ar for Magneto or whoever because, again, it's all about Jean and her corruption by and abuse of power. All the fetish gear and aliens are just cosmetic.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 1:1 retelling of the story in live action, but that's never been this series's MO. At their best, the X-Men movies take themes, characters and plots from the comics and reconfigure them into their own unique story while maintaining the heart of the original tale. Infinity War didn't do that, but I hope Dark Phoenix does.

BANNED

Whether or not you like Mistress Death or not, that's the entirety of Thanos's character motivation, which is why her exclusion in Infinity War bothers me so much. They took this character that I adore and changed the very root of who he is, and not for the better. In the comics, he has this very romantic, almost spiritual, relationship with the physical manifestation of one of the universe's most fundamental concepts, and, in the movies, he's basically Ra's al Ghul in space, which is far, far less interesting..
    I disagree. I found this Thanos to have much more depth. Comics Thanos is basically a 12 year old who saw his first naked lady.

I was under the impression that all Fox X-movies were put on hold until the Disney deal is done, and then it's up to Disney what will happen to them?

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/01...antastic-four/

https://deadline.com/2019/02/new-mut...er-1202549615/

Let's think about this, if it has a theatrical release, then that would not be a good fresh start for MCU's take on the team. It would be very confusing for audiences especially the casuals. Also, if it goes directly to HULU or something that's just fine. Fans of the Singer-verse will still get to see it no? If Fox is no more what do the box office numbers matter? I guess I'd rather everything Fox did just hit streaming and leave the big picture for a fresh take a few years from now. I have this feeling people are going to be pretty tired of comic book movies soon if they overdo it.

EDIT https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...sneyfox-merger
    Last edited by uebersoldat; 02-07-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I disagree. I found this Thanos to have much more depth. Comics Thanos is basically a 12 year old who saw his first naked lady.
    To each his/her own, of course. The movie version worked well enough for the film, but I found it seriously lacking when compared to the comics, especially considering that Thanos is one of my favorite characters.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I was under the impression that all Fox X-movies were put on hold until the Disney deal is done, and then it's up to Disney what will happen to them?

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/01...antastic-four/

https://deadline.com/2019/02/new-mut...er-1202549615/

Let's think about this, if it has a theatrical release, then that would not be a good fresh start for MCU's take on the team. It would be very confusing for audiences especially the casuals. Also, if it goes directly to HULU or something that's just fine. Fans of the Singer-verse will still get to see it no? If Fox is no more what do the box office numbers matter? I guess I'd rather everything Fox did just hit streaming and leave the big picture for a fresh take a few years from now. I have this feeling people are going to be pretty tired of comic book movies soon if they overdo it.
    Dark Phoenix is getting a theatrical release, as the deal likely won't be finalized until right around the time the film releases in June. Disney has no control over what happens to it prior to finalization of the deal. Even if they get control prior to release, they'd be dumb to scrap it because it's essentially free money. Fox is the one that spent all the money to make and distribute it: Disney would just be cashing the checks.

And the whole brand/quality control argument holds no water: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn't stop Homecoming from being released a couple years later. If the brand is big enough, which the X-Men are, then Disney'll make it happen, regardless of how Dark Phoenix turns out.

New Mutants, however, is a different story, as Disney should have control over all of Fox's assets well before its anticipated August release date. Given how off-the-wall that one is, a lot of people (myself included) wouldn't be surprised if it didn't end up on Hulu.
    Last edited by Sam Robards, Comic Fan; 02-07-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I'm seeing a lot of controversy around singer with the Bafta award nomination. I'm wondering what kind of impact if any, this will potentially have on the release of Dark Phoenix.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of controversy around singer with the Bafta award nomination. I'm wondering what kind of impact if any, this will potentially have on the release of Dark Phoenix.
    I don't see it having any impact, as Singer didn't work on this one. He might (?) have some sort of Producer credit, but it's honorary, if so.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I don't see it having any impact, as Singer didn't work on this one. He might (?) have some sort of Producer credit, but it's honorary, if so.
    oh I see. I thought he was involved in this one. thanks
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Yes, this is my understanding as well. After X-Men Apocalypse, Singer's involvement in the X-Men movies basically ended. That producer credit is likely only there because he's been involved with the development of Fox's X-Men franchise since 2000. His company probably had a stake in it for years so they can't completely remove his name from Dark Phoenix, even if he has no input. But at the very least, I suspect Dark Phoenix will minimize any mention of Singer to the greatest extent possible. His name is becoming increasingly controversial throughout Hollywood and for entirely understandable reasons.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

This, and it could be the case that someone buys-out his Executive Producer contribution to remove his name from the print.