View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

3 9.68%
  • ★ ★ ★ ★

13 41.94%
  • ★ ★ ★

7 22.58%
  • ★ ★

6 19.35%
  • 2 6.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #63 - The New World (Spoilers)

This issue spotlights Eirene, Damon, and Cadmus, the three mythological creatures seen earlier in Wilson's run. They basically go on adventures until they find Diana, who introduces them to Ferdinand. Eirene and Ferdinand are both shocked that other minotaurs exist. We also learn that Cadmus is the offspring of Hermes, and Damon is a worshiper of Dionysus. Diana realizes, however, that if Aphrodite and Ares were affected by whatever happened to Olympus, more gods must be. Cut to Veronica Cale, who has twi-lek realness Nemesis tied up in her basement.

Sorry the description is short, but you kind of have to read what's happening to fully enjoy it. I can see some fans being turned off by the in-your-face politics of this story, but I loved it. Wonder Woman for me has always been political, and Wilson is doing a great job incorporating it with the mythological comicbooky elements. It was great seeing Ferdinand again, as was Veronica Cale with Nemesis. Definitely looking forward to the next few issues.

Great issue, and I'm glad that Eirene, Cadmus, and Damon gets to be around and become if not permanently supporting characters, at least something to provide contrast and some comic relief. They also provide a great description of how being desperate and thrust into a wholly unfamiliar situation can turn literally anyone stupid or lacking in judgment.

The conversation between the three and the CBP official is a fantastic example of both sides talking past each other, neither understanding the other. I'm just surprised he is as sympathetic as he is, but that probably is because of Diana vouching for them.

I'm not fully sure about how Diana is characterised here, but if the coming issues attempts to show her as overworked and stressed out after the Durovnia Incident (or whatever we are to call it) I can buy it. I'd have expected some more empathy from her, or being more proactive in bringing in Ferdinand.

Maggie the server is just delightful. And a hopeless romantic.

The introduction of Veronica Cale and Nemesis is very well done, and seriously makes Veronica appear creepy.

The art is great, and I think Lupacchino did a better job (and her style fit better) here than in the Witching Hour issues sha made. The expressiveness added a lot to the issue.

Only thing that I think would have improved the issue would be that Maggie had taken them to Taco Whiz. Or possibly that their server was Rachel Greene.

I liked it a lot! The creatures continue the be the characters with the most interesting personality in her run, and the political commentary is on point.

Diana felt a little off for me again. She lacks empathy and warmth. I wonder if it's Wilson trying to make Diana seem like a distant, goddess-like figure. It does work... but not in the kind of way one would expect of Wonder Woman. I have a problem again with Diana calling someone foolish, especially the poor creatures who are just thrown in the middle of the city while Diana does her stuff.

Cale feels almost as good a character as she was in her Rucka days, that's commendable. Her last line is great. She really has no respect or fear when it comes to the gods.

Ferdinand is not a Minotaur, he’s a Kith-o-taur. This is an outrage. Book dropped.

;P

I liked it. I typically prefer to have more Wonder Woman in my Wonder Woman comics, but at the same time it was a fun read, and Wilson dedicating time to what I hope will be recurring support characters raises my optimism for the rest of the run.

Besides, the hook for the next issue looks plenty fun enough to make up for it, I think <_<

Astonishing Member

This was the most fun comic I read all day.

Spectacular Member

Unfortunately, this issue was a miss for me.

I understand GWW wants to establish some of the newer characters and ongoing plot points, but there are too many pages without any Wonder Woman presence. Others have commented about previous runs where it felt like Diana was a guest star in her own title. I felt this latest issue egregiously sidelined Diana.

The thing I enjoyed most was seeing Ferdinand. I wonder if Maggie will matter going forward.

I gave it 5 Stars! Nemesis, Veronica Cale and FERDINAND!

Diana was different but still sweet, liked how she had the idea to get Ferdinand and wanted to get back to work. Interesting Ferdinand is back to being a chef opposed to an apparently homeless mercenary, Nemesis appears as she did in the Odyssey, Diana is now invulnerable and immortal according to an unverified source that hails from Themyscira though iirc there were no mythological animals there during Rebirth. It seems like the continuity has slightly shifted during the destruction of Olympus.

I missed jokes being in Wonder Woman, the last time it happened regularly was Adrianna in Rebirth.

As great as the variant cover was (and it was great) I'd grown to love Jenny Frison's work and her absence was felt, but the regular cover made up for it with the white stripe on the boot that was surly a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Diana felt a little off for me again. She lacks empathy and warmth. I wonder if it's Wilson trying to make Diana seem like a distant, goddess-like figure. It does work... but not in the kind of way one would expect of Wonder Woman. I have a problem again with Diana calling someone foolish, especially the poor creatures who are just thrown in the middle of the city while Diana does her stuff.
    In a way, it's tricky, especially as Wilson sets out to examine the character of Diana and her role in the world, because there are several approaches.

Does she start with her own independent view of Wonder Woman? Does she start from a specific jumping-off point, and goes from there? Or is she working based on the way Wonder Woman has been presented lately, sort of in aggregate?

Plot-wise, I think it's pretty clear that this story takes off from the end of Rebirth. The other adventures since probably happened in some way or another, but they don't really matter that much for this run—yet. They might do so in the future.

As for characterisation, I think Wilson has her own vision of Wonder Woman, probably with the movie as a big inspiration (at least I felt that the first arc took several beats from the movie), but it doesn't feel like she is writing that Diana yet. Instead it feels like she is doing the last option, examining and critiquing how Wonder Woman has been depicted in comics recently.

That slightly distant and cool figure feels a lot like how Tom King writes her in Heroes on Crisis—I can sort of see an implied "you fool" under everything she says to Booster Gold in #4. The Wonder Woman who fights the huge battles while not seeing the small injustices below is basically a critique of the entire superhero genre, but I think it really fits against Robinson's run (but I have only read bits of pieces of that). The Wonder Woman who comes into the complex situation, does something, and then leaves is another critique of the entire genre, but I'm reminded of the Bana-Mighdall twofer in Orlando's run.

It's also interesting how the conversation in the Oblivion Bar with Detective Chimp in JLD #1 covers some of the same beats as the scene with Damon, Eirene, and Cadmus in WW #63.

Detective Chimp: But you work and operate in a gleaming ivory tower that literally glows at night. You live in a world with good guys and bad guys. Down here in the weird shadows of the world, it's all a bit messier than that.
    Damon: It's different! You look like they do—tall and hairless!
    (snip)
    Eirene: Does she have to make it sound so easy?
    Cadmus: Goddesses always do.
    Damon: Being invulnerable and immortal takes a toll on one's perspective.
    I think the difference here is that in Tynion's take it was Diana who reached out and was rejected, but here it is coming from three people who she has placed under her protection. It comes much closer to heart and cuts harder.

I just realized Nemesis looks very similar to how she did in the Odyssey storyline with the head tentacles. Interesting that they kept her design but changed several of the other gods.

The issue was fine, but there is a major tonal shift between this issue and the previous ones. I mean, this is issue #5, right? So a tpb might be capped off with this issue.

Its fine to have fun characters in a WW book, but, how about we make WW fun first? The reason why the movie was a hit was because that WW was funny.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The issue was fine, but there is a major tonal shift between this issue and the previous ones. I mean, this is issue #5, right? So a tpb might be capped off with this issue.

Its fine to have fun characters in a WW book, but, how about we make WW fun first? The reason why the movie was a hit was because that WW was funny.
    Issue six, if I count right.

I wouldn't go so far to say that the movie was a hit because Diana was funny in it. Sure, there were lots of humour in it, but it was not so much from jokes as they were from the way the characters reacted and interacted with each other, and the way the it used the colliding worldviews.

In any case, if I were writing Wonder Woman I probably wouldn't tackle a funny Diana until I had a really good handle on her voice and character. The three mythketeers however are Wilson's own characters and uses a type of chatty humour that I think Wilson is very comfortable writing.

Fantastic Member

Wow. This was a really bad issue. I read it a second time and i disliked it even more. Maybe i'd give it just 1 star this time around. I don't know. If you want to get political, why not go full-bore political and have the three creatures stuck in a cage at the border? Having them escape from an office just seemed stupid and hardly urgent.

Then on to the restaurant where tired generic food jokes are made, and a sniffy snooty couple, one named Bunny, of all names, get all sniffy and snooty. A generic girl is introduced, and pronouncements are made, but none of it is interesting. An old supporting character is introduced, which seems to be the whole point. Oh, how lucky, they're hungry, and he's a chef.

The Veronica Cale bit at least added some urgency, except when I read it again- is there any point to her talking to her money managers? It just seems like generic patter to get us to the big reveal in the basement.

I liked these characters in their small scenes in the last few issues, but a whole issue with them is tiresome. None of them seem distinct enough to create any sort of dynamic. I was thinking of Rucka and his gorgon sisters, who added humor in their scenes, along with advancing the plot. This issue had none of that- no advancement, no humor, no character.

Well looking forward to the next few issues, but i can't say I'm looking forward to any more time given to these generic three.

Fantastic Member

Also, I'm scratching my head at Maggie's pronouncement- her boss is short-staffed, so it's okay she's leaving? What?

(And of course I get that it's a double-entendre, but the other meaning doesn't make sense, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Also, I'm scratching my head at Maggie's pronouncement- her boss is short-staffed, so it's okay she's leaving? What?

(And of course I get that it's a double-entendre, but the other meaning doesn't make sense, either.)
    She can do what she wants (within reason, like leaving a little early) and she won’t get fired because it would be more trouble to hire and train a new server.

I’ve witnessed this firsthand and it’s actually really annoying because it’s usually bad employees avoiding getting axed for way too long lol

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post

I think it just goes towards the tonal inconsistencies of the run as is. There really aren't any consequences for any of the parties involved, the mythological party can break through the window pane of an office and attack people, while Maggie can just stop working to go on an adventure. Its very aloof and Marvel-lish, yet the issues prior took place in a war zone and for the most part were played for drama. I'm not saying we need to have grimdark joyless stories, in a story you need lighter moments to contrast the darker ones, but this is very slapstick.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut