Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Default X-Force #2, Recap and Review, Spoilers

- We open with the preview, X-Force is rescuing a group of mutants being transported for execution in Transia.
    - One of the soldiers is actually a mutant who was working undercover, X-Force takes him and the other refugees to a temporary safehouse. They briefly mention the status quo after Disassembled and acknowledge that there isn’t any safe place to send the refugees.
    - Ahab is working for Constantin to develop a cure for mutants because Transia has access to time travel tech. Constantin’s kid is a mutant. Ahab’s hounds (Rachel) were taken from him.
    - Shatterstar and Kid Cable have a brief fight, with Star saying he will never accept that KC is the real Cable, Sam breaks it up.
    - The mutant they rescued offers to return to resume his undercover work and feed the intel to X-Force, Deadlok goes with him.
    - Constantin receives a visitor from the future who is not happy that he went back on their agreement that Transia would be a haven for mutants in exchange for future weapons. Constantin kills the messenger. (Stryfe’s gonna be mad).
    - The issue ends with X-Force and the refugee mutants being attacked by the Transian army in mecha suits.

The issue was quick, and it didn't feel like much happened, kind of boring. Bennett draws Ahab well. Interested to see if Rachel is being held captive or if Constantin is using her to find mutants. Ahab is working on a "cure", so I guess the vaccine only works on inactive mutants?

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

-I'm curious about what will be Rachel's fate.

Thanks God for Uncanny and X-Force is where I will take refuge during Age of X-man.

Funny we practically have 4 sides or factions seeking their own interests that will collide in the next issues. Constantine, Ahab, X-Force and the mysterious benefactor of the future.

Ahab is in a difficult position but he usually compensates for his lack of strength with cunning so I do not doubt that he turns the game against Constantine. About Rachel do not think we stay for long without answers.

It seems like the school and X-men really were the only safe haven for mutants in the world. I honestly could never understand or accept that as much as humans hate mutants I always believed that in the world there would be at least two or three places willing to give refuge to them.

The transian mutant soldier said that WiFi looks familiar

We know that there is a time traveling mutant that has been supplying the transian military with weapons in exchange for them becoming a safe haven for mutants.

I'm guessing that Mutant is adult Cable. He probably had the memory of being attacked by his younger self, so made back up plans and faked his death. Or something.

Extraordinary Member

I'm sure there are places that are safer for mutants, but the issue would probably be getting them there and then hoping no one notices the extra mutants.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

The mysterious benefactor seems to be Stryfe to be honest, maybe that's why they look familiar. I believe adult Cable is still dead.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The mysterious benefactor seems to be Stryfe to be honest, maybe that's why they look familiar
    This. Isn’t Stryfe on one of the upcoming covers in future solicits?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    This. Isn’t Stryfe on one of the upcoming covers in future solicits?
    Yes.

The art was eh. The cartoony sharp edges is just so below an X-book.

This issue had no Tabby and I still enjoyed it. Burnett's really carrying. I guess you'll keep getting my money, McChicken Brisson.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The mysterious benefactor seems to be Stryfe to be honest, maybe that's why they look familiar. I believe adult Cable is still dead.
    You know, this makes so much more sense and is less convoluted.

Okay, this WiFi situation brings up so many questions.

Cable didn't meet a lot of these people until adult hood, will WiFi be mind wiped after this.

How did WiFi know that Scott and Jean were Slim and Redd, he didn't find that out until later, also will he be mind wiped

Does WiFi think he's a clone and that stryfe is the original

Does he know that Madelyne is his mother
    Lord, this kid is messing up my timeline

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post

Cable didn't meet a lot of these people until adult hood, will WiFi be mind wiped after this.

How did WiFi know that Scott and Jean were Slim and Redd, he didn't find that out until later, also will he be mind wiped

I think we're supposed to get some of these answers in issue #5, which is dedicated to explaining how Wi-Fi got "activated" and learned about everything. I'm under the assumption that his premature activation also has made him or older Cable an AU character now as unless he is mind-wiped like the O5 were his future is completely changed and therefore the 616 past.

Extraordinary Member

An upcoming issue tells how and why Cable came back in time earlier, so some of that stuff might be answered.

As for this messing up the timeline (in a way that one would have to think this must be a non-616 Cable and the 616 Cable is just dead now) it seems any rules on that went out the window a long time ago.

Yeah, I try not to think about it too hard. The whole situation is contrived and headache inducing, but clearly at this point even if he is “our Cable only younger” he is diverging from his older counterpart whom he killed. So he’s now created a new divergent branch of his own timeline and is becoming an alt version. Woof. As if this guy wasn’t complicated enough.

Regardless, issue was decent. I think the time traveling arms dealer is clearly Stryfe, which is interesting to me. I always thought that Stryfe should be a younger, stronger clone version of Cable; now it would appear that, while stronger and more powerful, he’s actually an older version. Since Cable is at this point a skinny pissant kid.

Honestly, I’m kind of rooting for Stryfe to just beat his weak ass to death and join up with X-Force. Shatterstar is right. This kid ain’t my Cable.

Incredible Member

This was a good book and will continue to pick up the series.

BANNED

Oh god that just makes that whole "he's mad his dad hooked up with Emma" thing from the Annual that much worse.