Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Cure...

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Except there are mutations that can only be used for destruction and are no benefit to anybody at all. This isn’t all that different from vaccinating kids or testing them for potential diseases.
    You wanna know fascism’s most powerful recruitment tool? The idea that the state and cooperations are out to get you and are always corrupt. Fascists love the idea of placing power and control in the hands of a small handful of individuals with no accountability or oversight. It’s how fascism works in the first place. The state is not an embodiment of fascism. It is opposed to it.

Fascism thrives when people seek easy, black and white solutions to complex problems.
    I think a real fascist would completely disagree with you:

Fantastic Member

The cure is to stop there powers, not to stop them being mutants. They will always be mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    I think a real fascist would completely disagree with you:

^ Someone's paying attention. Good on you Mutant X!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    The cure is to stop there powers, not to stop them being mutants. They will always be mutant.
    The cure in its various incarnations removes or otherwise completely suppresses the x-gene. The active x-gene is what determines a mutant, so no, they would no longer be mutants.(See Emma carting off that busload of kids from the academy after M-Day.....)
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

The cure could be looked at like sex-change. Should it not be up to the individual?

I think a cure would be fine, if it wasn't done by a government that wants to force it on people and/or use it to just make mutants a dying species. It should only be given to those who have a real reason to not have their powers, not just anyone. Except that this is X-Men, so of course that cure storylines are always gonna be about people creating cures for malicious intents against mutant-kind.

What they're currently doing in Uncanny though it's not a cure, it's a vaccine. Lots and lots of kids who could live just fine with their powers are not gonna be able to have them. They're not giving anyone a choice, it's the exact opposite, they're denying mutant powers to everyone for no good reason.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 01-31-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    X-men has always used analogies for real-world issues.

This new cure plot was clearly inspired by the discussions of a "gay cure."

Like homosexuality, mutation is a genetic condition. So what if some scientist creates a mechanism to modify the genetic predisposition to be gay or not? Is it ethical or moral?

Should parents have the right to choose? Or even the individual? What would be the consequences for the gay community?

It's a good plot, but I'm not sure if it will have the necessary development.
    That's the thing though, the analogy doesn't work because it's a false equivalence and really just trivializes the real-world issue in this case. That's why they really shouldn't write these stories because it's a faulty comparison

In the MU with all of its history but less need for dramatic conflict, the logical solution would be for governments to sponsor the X-Men, and give them sole access to the cure. Let them give it to those who want it, and let them choose when to neutralize a threat with it after they've solved a mutant problem.

The problem is, this is really restrictive storytelling in a franchise that never ends that would prevent mutants from having more interesting mutations and would block antagonists from returning. So in-universe the attitude towards it from mutants is the same attitude writers and creators should have towards it. It's offensive and will be abused as a means to erase the species. This is why it's better in the books as an idea than a reality.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

As a vaccination? No and I say this as someone who supports real world vaccinations. But as an option for a mutant who feels cursed by their mutation or used to end the threat from mutants who have used their powers to commit crimes and kill others? Than yes I support it but with the caveat on the part where law enforcement or the government uses it only in cases of murder and the person must be convicted by a jury or if the mutant has a power completely out of control and must be stopped to prevent loss of lives and I'd prefer the cure to be used as a non lethal option.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Where is there a cure for depression? Or a treatment for autism, even?
    As a person who was both depressed and is on the autism spectrum, I can say that antidepressants are a miracle worker. Autism behavioral therapy, thought it doesn't "cure" autism, is great for getting kids to control their minds so to speak. Really, the latter isn't much different from what Professor X does at his school.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Everything Jokerz79 said...100%

I will add that "Cure" is a very inflammatory word. Perhaps if they (the responsible Governments/Authorities in charge of administering it) were to refer to it as a Panacea or Anodyne instead of Cure they might have a better response towards it.

Mighty Member

While we're on the topic of the mutant metaphor, I find the idea of mutants as a homosexual metaphor to be false equivalence. Being gay is not anywhere near having a voice inside your head that demands you use your power to wither your enemies or give you breast cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    While we're on the topic of the mutant metaphor, I find the idea of mutants as a homosexual metaphor to be false equivalence. Being gay is not anywhere near having a voice inside your head that demands you use your power to wither your enemies or give you breast cancer.
    Lol. It's not false equivalency. The metaphor isn't with homosexuality itself, but the experiences of being mutant or gay in society. That's why mutants are also considered a metaphor for racial minorities. Some mutants work better with either one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    If only there were inhibitor collars for down’s, hemophilia or tay-Sachs.
    Cure for mutation-caused diseases? Yes. Cure for mutation-caused abilities? No. What if someone had decided that the ability to walk upright, or to use speech, were defects that needed to be cured? My problem with the term "Homo Superior" is that it ignores the unlucky mutants.

IRL, there was recent news of a potential genetic cure for sickle-cell disease:
    https://hospital.uillinois.edu/prima...e-cell-disease
    Last edited by Anodyne; 01-31-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Lol. It's not false equivalency. The metaphor isn't with homosexuality itself, but the experiences of being mutant or gay in society. That's why mutants are also considered a metaphor for racial minorities. Some mutants work better with either one or the other.
    Which make the idea of a "cure" or an inhibitor collar all the more stupid...because you can't turn off your race you can't turn off being gay