Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Cure...

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think you are going for 'outweighs', but wow. Yeah, this is the slippery slope to hell we are on right now as a world.

It's amazing to see X-fans prescribing to this ideal. Might as well round up all the mutants now! Far too dangerous. What's a few thousand(millions? how many mutants are there now again?) to billions? Never mind the fact just a handful of them have saved the entire world(and universe/multiverse) dozens of times by now.
    Speaking as someone whose government is far from perfect, I'd trust the state with a mutant cure before I ever trusted paramilitary groups like the X-Men or terrorist groups like the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

And let's not forget just a handful of Mutants keep endangering the world/universe/multiverse over and over again. Including the ones who have saved it.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-31-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Y'all wild.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Speaking as someone whose government is far from perfect, I'd trust the state with a mutant cure before I ever trusted paramilitary groups like the X-Men or terrorist groups like the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

And let's not forget just a handful of Mutants keep endangering the world/universe/multiverse over and over again. Including the ones who have saved it.
    What about a human cure? I mean look at what Victor Von Doom is capable of? That kind of power can't go unchecked.

[
    It's amazing to see X-fans prescribing to this ideal. Might as well round up all the mutants now! Far too dangerous. What's a few thousand(millions? how many mutants are there now again?) to billions? Never mind the fact just a handful of them have saved the entire world(and universe/multiverse) dozens of times by now.
    Bruh I agree soooooo much, I know XFans are a varied bunch but sometimes I see something that makes me pause and think "Were we reading the same X-Books?"
    Y'all wild.

lol truly
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    What about a human cure? I mean look at what Victor Von Doom is capable of? That kind of power can't go unchecked.
    True soooooo True...The atomic bomb comes to mind as a reason to develop a 'human cure' not to mention the environmental damage being dished out by the human population... Thank Jebus The plants and animals of Earth hadn't developed their own cure lol
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd trust the state with a mutant cure before I ever trusted paramilitary groups like the X-Men or terrorist groups like the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
    so Ignoring the fact that the BrotherHood is a response to the prejudice and violence acted upon them by the human population? Can't have those Mutants defend themselves when we show up to bulldoze their houses and bury them under the rubble

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    I agree. But if you want checks and balances, you aren't going to get it with the X-Men or the Brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    so Ignoring the fact that the BrotherHood is a response to the prejudice and violence acted upon them by the human population? Can't have those Mutants defend themselves when we show up to bulldoze their houses and bury them under the rubble
    Calling what the Brotherhood does "self defense" is charitable. Not only have they attacked and killed humans who haven't harmed mutants but they've had no issue killing other mutants as well.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-23-2019 at 12:08 AM.

I think you are going for 'outweighs', but wow. Yeah, this is the slippery slope to hell we are on right now as a world.

If you can't see the difference between complete control and giving up enough control in the best interest of masses I don't know what to say. There is a middle ground and that why the cure stories suck it requires you ignore the obvious but I can play your game

Matthew Malloy ,Proteus, Jamie Braddock, Legion, Mr M, Scarlet Witch, Vulcan and Nate Grey

How do you deal with those mutants? The thing about theoretically arguments they don't hold when have to give a practical answer. This isn't "every" mutant we are talking about so why try to pretend this every mutant. The Same thing with villains Apocalypse, Magneto, Mr Sinister,etc commit a serious violent crime how do you deal with those mutants? Again this isn't rounding up "every" mutant. I went back forth with people in other thread on a similar because they didn't clearly identify the difference between mutants and dangerous mutants. I had to explain you have to be clear when talking about these thing because it is like Islamic extremist and Muslims. While Islamic extremist might be dangerous you can't lump them with together all Muslims.

Your comment assume the world isn't sophisticated enough to tell difference between dangerous and non dangerous. The world is not a comic book we didn't ship people off with A.I.D.S to solitary islands to die.They came up with common sense rules based on knowledge that they had and as we got more knowledge the rules adjusted. But there was most definitely rules put in place for the safety of people and mutants is not a exact metaphor/example if you mix dangerous diseases and weapon ownership you get idea of what happen. Now it won't be free range no rules like in the X-world and it won't be force cure on all mutants either there is a middle ground.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-31-2019 at 04:17 AM.

If you really think the military industrial complex/states/corporations should be trusted with genetic weapons, or that it/they operate with noble/wise/just intentions, you just haven't been paying attention to any of recorded history, and particularly not the last 50/100 years, let alone the last two decades(where millions of innocent people have been killed and displaced by military actions in the Middle East, in reaction to what was almost certainly a false flag 'attack' orchestrated by the very same military industrial complex you seem to think will act with intelligent discretion).

As for your list of dangerous mutants; guess what has dealt with them every time?

The super-powered mutants known as the X-Men.

13501625_10102131317779182_5695517024426471571_n.jpg
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-31-2019 at 05:21 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

If you really think the military industrial complex/states/corporations should be trusted with genetic weapons, or that it/they operate with noble/wise/just intentions, you just haven't been paying attention to any of recorded history, and particularly not the last 50/100 years, let alone the last two decades(where millions of innocent people have been killed and displaced by military actions in the Middle East, in reaction to what was almost certainly a false flag 'attack' orchestrated by the very same military industrial complex you seem to think will act with intelligent discretion).

As for your list of dangerous mutants; guess what has dealt with them every time?

The super-powered mutants known as the X-Men.

13501625_10102131317779182_5695517024426471571_n.jpg
    Bruh that pic tho
    lol yAAAAAAAAAsss!!!

The Tea is piping hot....but Storm's glare is Ice Cold

BANNED

....anyway

There is the established cannon that you can simply switch off a power with an inhibitor collar...if powers are that easy to switch off, why aren't they as equally easy to switch back on? Especially for all those "depowered" mutants

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    ....anyway

There is the established cannon that you can simply switch off a power with an inhibitor collar...if powers are that easy to switch off, why aren't they as equally easy to switch back on? Especially for all those "depowered" mutants
    Well Wanda did restore Rictor's powers. And there were other cases of depowered mutants getting their powers back like Lorna and Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    ....anyway

Cause of.... SCIENCE!!

Mighty Member

The cure should not be forced on any mutant but it should be an option for any mutant that wants it. If Glob or Shark Girl or Eye Boy wants to take the cure because they want to look normal it should be their personal choice. Who are the perfect looking mutants to tell them they cannot have it. If you look like Jean, Gambit, Emma or any model looking type then fine but when you do not and want to change your circumstances then who are the human looking mutants to condemn them for it. So the cure should be optional not forced.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Cause of.... SCIENCE!!
    If only there were inhibitor collars for down’s, hemophilia or tay-Sachs.

In the context of the universe I would be fine with it. I mean if I woke one morning and I was stuck with Glob, Eyeboy or Rockslides powers I would probably spend the rest of my life looking for away to change me back. Others may feel differently but to me spending a life like that would be terrible.

Besides when you really think about it, in some way's it's no different that getting a boob implants, braces, or plastic surgery.

I wouldn't call it a "Cure" either though. Different name should be chosen for it. I also don't think the government should have a hold of it. Maybe have be owned by a private company or something....
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-31-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I agree and disagree.I disagree it doesn't against franchise because they are mutants who "creepy or weird" by your definition who wouldn't change who they are. The big theme which why X-men works appeals to many people is acceptance for who you are and the cure storyline is good way to touch on that theme. It is like tomorrow they created the perfect skin bleaching tool and everyone now can easily look caucasian,Yeah being white would help avoid a bunch of problems but they would be many many people who wouldn't change anything.

I agree the Cure is bad storyline because any time it is introduce it is an fair option for

1.Bad mutants you commit a crime(they give you the cure)
    2. Your powers are out of control ala Cyclops,Surge or Rogue the cure is probably the best option
    3. You are ridiculous power ala Matthew Malloy, Franklin Richards,etc the cure is probably the best option
    4. It is fair option for someone who wants to look normal or live normal.

Cure is bad storyline because eventually always shown as "bad thing" when it obviously can be good thing. And it tries to force readers to pretend they aren't mutants who a cure would be a blessing for them.You can see this as recently as the Gifted where mutant cure is shown and the doctor began as benevolent and kind help mutants who can't control their power. Then later doctor is shown to be a bigot who thinks every mutant should be cure and is Aabomination and the mutants are forced to destroy the lab. A fair cure story makes the franchise boring and evil cure story always feels heavy with their point.

The Cure always has to be removed because they can't logical show it as always bad and yeah superhuman with cool powers is the point of the story. I guess the middle ground would be that the cure is temporary and you have continuously give the person the cure to keep suppressing the powers and over time its effect weaken until it doesn't work any more. It is not quite as interesting story wise as all or nothing but you can at least explore the good and bad of it better.
    This is how I see it.

'Cure' storylines don't work for me for this very reason since I've never fully bought the idea that they are always bad. And they highlight the weaknesses of the 'mutant metaphor'. The idea has always been that people have an unfounded fear of what they do not understand. That contributes to racism, homophobia, and all sorts of bigotry. Someone being scared/apprehensive of a Muslim kid in their school or a gay kid for no reason? Def unfounded. Someone being scared/apprehensive of a kid that can cause black holes by sneezing too hard? Imma be real with it, that's scary as hell. And when stories try to equate this cure for mutants as the same as a cure for race or sexual orientation.. it falls flat because they're clearly not the same

That's why I'm not too big on this story. Now if it can be told with more nuance, I'd be open to it. Logically, lots of people would want the cure. Those who can't have intimacy like Rogue in the old days. Or that one dude in the Ultimate Universe who caused people around him to die. I believe that ultimately ended with Wolverine mercy-killing him. You telling me a cure wouldn't have been a good option there if it were available? What about mutant terrorists with destructive capabilities? Not administrating this 'cure' to him if he got caught is like letting a real-life terrorist continue to have access to all their weaponry after they've been captured