Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure...

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Like a lot of things, when you remove the human element, it can be beneficial. Consider mutants who are trapped, harming themselves and/or others uncontrollably, or want to make the choice to pass as a human by suppressing their mutation.

But, you cannot remove the human element. It can and will be used for power (subjugation, war) and profit; it will be used by totally misguided parents (see: eugenics and anti-vaxers exerting "choice" at the risk of the population). In the story, these "cures" must always be destroyed as soon as possible. I mean, people go enough out of their way to build giant purple robots to go after mutants -- do you think they won't weaponize a "cure"?

In terms of how and how often it is used in this franchise, like the Phoenix, Apocalypse, and Professor X having dumb dark secrets: They need to f*cking let this concept sleep deep within the earth for a decade and look at the multitude of other ways to explore the mutant metaphor in topical ways.

Its a personal choice. I see nothing wrong with a mutant wanting to cure themselves of their mutations. People change aspects of their identity which is granted by DNA such as looks and gender, so why not?

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

It makes for interesting story situations.Would a cure be made available to the general public or would it be something administered in specific situations? Would the average mutant be able to reject the "cure" if not wanted by a individual? Also such possibilities of it falling into the wrong hands, or being monetized for profit come into play.With most mutants going thru mutation around puberty it could also become a parental issue that may cause family strife, with some youth not wanting the same decision that their parents want.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    The problem, however, is that it sort of breaks the franchise. Suddenly, being a mutant is a real choice, which sort of goes against what the X-Men are about. I mean, the mutants with creepy or weird powers would just cure themselves, leaving the mutants with cool powers and the ones who can integrate into society.

We're not arguing against the technology to make the cure, just how you can implement a cure into the story.
    Maybe I’m interpreting the op incorrectly, but I don’t really see this as any more breaking to the X-Men than someone who can simply say “no more mutants” with the same result. To me it’s just an overused plot device at this point. It’s the same thing as the terrigen mists or whatever mutant ending threat is on deck this week.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Soooooooo this isn't a thread about the influential New Wave/Post Punk band that ushered In a new genre of music 'Goth Rock' with their string of classic songs from the 80s to Early 90s???

I've been crying to get my eyeliner just right for NOTHING
    UGH!

We live in a world where designer genes/ gene editing are possible through things like Crispr or various retroviruses and such. It's real science to change a person's DNA, even long after their initial cellular development as a fetus. Now, are we as a society morally evolved enough to muck with our genes? Are we truly scientifically evolved enough to understand all the repercussions of technologies such as Crispr? Almost certainly not. Science fiction and fantasy are the perfect ways to mull over these possibilities and prepare to face them in reality(not that it seems to be working out very well for us in terms of other such technologies but....).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by brohomo View Post
    soooooooo this isn't a thread about the influential new wave/post punk band that ushered in a new genre of music 'goth rock' with their string of classic songs from the 80s to early 90s???

I've been crying to get my eyeliner just right for nothing
    ugh!
    *leans into the mic*

EVERY NIGHT I BURN
    SCREAM THE ANIMAL SCREAM
    EVERY NIGHT I BURN
    DREAM THE CROW BLACK DREAM
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    *leans into the mic*

EVERY NIGHT I BURN
    SCREAM THE ANIMAL SCREAM
    EVERY NIGHT I BURN
    DREAM THE CROW BLACK DREAM
    Yaaaas
    I shoulda brought my Siouxsie Soux book of poetry

BANNED

I don't care if Monday's blue
    Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too
    Thursday I don't care about you
    It's Friday I'm in love

Edit: Sigh. I should have known I was waaaay late and one of my fellow smartasses had already beaten me to the joke.
    Last edited by Can'tHexTheX; 01-31-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Can'tHexTheX View Post
    I don't care if Monday's blue
    Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too
    Thursday I don't care about you
    It's Friday I'm in love

Edit: Sigh. I should have known I was waaaay late and one of my fellow smartasses had already beaten me to the joke.
    This World always needs More of The Cures

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    The problem, however, is that it sort of breaks the franchise. Suddenly, being a mutant is a real choice, which sort of goes against what the X-Men are about. I mean, the mutants with creepy or weird powers would just cure themselves, leaving the mutants with cool powers and the ones who can integrate into society.

We're not arguing against the technology to make the cure, just how you can implement a cure into the story.
    I agree and disagree.I disagree it doesn't against franchise because they are mutants who "creepy or weird" by your definition who wouldn't change who they are. The big theme which why X-men works appeals to many people is acceptance for who you are and the cure storyline is good way to touch on that theme. It is like tomorrow they created the perfect skin bleaching tool and everyone now can easily look caucasian,Yeah being white would help avoid a bunch of problems but they would be many many people who wouldn't change anything.

I agree the Cure is bad storyline because any time it is introduce it is an fair option for

1.Bad mutants you commit a crime(they give you the cure)
    2. Your powers are out of control ala Cyclops,Surge or Rogue the cure is probably the best option
    3. You are ridiculous power ala Matthew Malloy, Franklin Richards,etc the cure is probably the best option
    4. It is fair option for someone who wants to look normal or live normal.

Cure is bad storyline because eventually always shown as "bad thing" when it obviously can be good thing. And it tries to force readers to pretend they aren't mutants who a cure would be a blessing for them.You can see this as recently as the Gifted where mutant cure is shown and the doctor began as benevolent and kind help mutants who can't control their power. Then later doctor is shown to be a bigot who thinks every mutant should be cure and is abomination and the mutants are forced to destroy the lab. A fair cure story makes the franchise boring and evil cure story always feels heavy with their point.

The Cure always has to be removed because they can't logical show it as always bad and yeah superhuman with cool powers is the point of the story. I guess the middle ground would be that the cure is temporary and you have continuously give the person the cure to keep suppressing the powers and over time its effect weaken until it doesn't work any more. It is not quite as interesting story wise as all or nothing but you can at least explore the good and bad of it better.

The 'cure' is inherently fascist because it implies the x-gene is a disease. While the x-gene can certainly manifest in troubling ways, at the end of the day, in the deepest sense of Marvel canon, it is the God-gene and a gift from the Celestials to allow humans to defend themselves from the Cosmic Constructs and even replace them in time.

celestialdestinyofmutants.jpg

celestialdestinyofmutants2.jpg

Humanity(both those that do and don't manifest the x-gene) is still maturing, so there are certainly some growing pains to transcend along the way, but most cure story lines are really more along the lines of eugenics and biological fascism(should we terminate all babies with Down Syndrome genetics before they are born? Should anybody on the autism spectrum be allowed to have children? Should people of certain ethnic/religious backgrounds be sterilized? Should people of certain sexualities or gender presentations be 'cured'?). That's the bread and butter of the X-Men/mutant concept. If all this was real, there is no way I would be comfortable with the state or corporations trying to impose their will upon my genetic potential, even if I were a 'criminal' or 'too powerful'.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If all this was real, there is no way I would be comfortable with the state or corporations trying to impose their will upon my genetic potential, even if I were a 'criminal' or 'too powerful'.
    The protection of many out weighs your comfort . We are literally living in a time because some people don't want to vaccinate their kids that measles is a threat. So yeah if the choice is between some people being uncomfortable and safety. The choice will alway be safety. Let enough kids die then vaccinations will be mandatory. A plane crash into a building and now everyone has to take off their shoes at airport. In real life it is proven over and over general safety will over personal freedoms.You can't own certains types of weapons(too powerful) and "criminals" get certain rights taken away from them.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-31-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    What is your position about a "cure" for being a mutant? This is a work of fiction, but if being a mutant is down to your DNA I don't think that a "cure" should exist anymore than there should be something that makes everyone's eyes the same color.

Gases, inhibitor collars, viruses, and a shot that makes you "normal" just shouldn't be so easy. I know it's all BS anyway to give another threat to mutants, but it seems like an easy cop out. At any given moment there might not be mutants...this happens about every 5 years and it's boring.
    Hmm, this is different kind of thread than what I had expected.

Anyway, I don't really have a problem with the cure. But it should be very very difficult to achieve. No one-dart-cure. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The protection of many out ways your comfort .
    I think you are going for 'outweighs', but wow. Yeah, this is the slippery slope to hell we are on right now as a world.

It's amazing to see X-fans prescribing to this ideal. Might as well round up all the mutants now! Far too dangerous. What's a few thousand(millions? how many mutants are there now again?) to billions? Never mind the fact just a handful of them have saved the entire world(and universe/multiverse) dozens of times by now.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-31-2019 at 02:33 AM.