Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Saddest Moments

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Uh, no mentions of the Death of Gwen Stacy? (Or did I miss it.) One of the most shocking moments of my comic-book reading life.
    This right here is just one of those moments. I remember reading it a couple of years ago and you can just feel the tension as you flip the pages, knowing that you are going ever closer to a point that will change everything. You get to the final few pages and you realize that, maybe, it won't have happened if you just don't turn that page.

And then you do and Gwen Stacy dies.

Also, this isn't a comic, but I just realized that Wolverine is never going to know that Daken gave him a respectful and sweet funeral. That makes me sad.

Spectacular Member

i thought Havok and Wasp having to lose their child was pretty heavy, it seemed the only joy either of them had ever found was snatched from them.

wasp-havok.jpg

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Speaking of Gwen...found this very powerful in House of M as Spider-Man is forced to relive his “real” past. As if Gwen wasn’t bad enough, that look he gives Uncle Ben is heartbreaking

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    This right here is just one of those moments. I remember reading it a couple of years ago and you can just feel the tension as you flip the pages, knowing that you are going ever closer to a point that will change everything. You get to the final few pages and you realize that, maybe, it won't have happened if you just don't turn that page.

And then you do and Gwen Stacy dies.

Also, this isn't a comic, but I just realized that Wolverine is never going to know that Daken gave him a respectful and sweet funeral. That makes me sad.
    Back when it came out, the cover showed a bunch of people from the Spider-Man extended family who might die, but being a comic it was just as likely (actually more likely) that no one would die. Gwen's death at the end really shocked me.

Sandy Hausler
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Back when it came out, the cover showed a bunch of people from the Spider-Man extended family who might die, but being a comic it was just as likely (actually more likely) that no one would die. Gwen's death at the end really shocked me.

Sandy Hausler
    Yeah, I can't imagine how you fans felt when it first came out. It must have been very powerful and traumatizing. It can be cited as an instigating event in the Dark Age of comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Speaking of Gwen...found this very powerful in House of M as Spider-Man is forced to relive his “real” past. As if Gwen wasn’t bad enough, that look he gives Uncle Ben is heartbreaking

Not just Peter, but what about Logan himself? He remembers EVERYTHING after this.

From Marvel Team Up #21
    Seeing Xandu go from hard core super villain to sobbing child always gets to me.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    The Kid who collects Spider-man, especially the last panel where Peter is standing on the wall of the Terminally Ill centre with his mask off and crying...
    This. Easily. In Amazing Spider-Man #248 for anybody that has never read it.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The death of Illyana Rasputin.
    The death of Steve Rogers.
    Janet van Dyne's funeral.
    The end of the Dark Angel Saga.
    The death of Ultimate Peter Parker, followed by his funeral (Aunt May and the little girl legit still hurts).
    The death of Johnny Storm.
    Civil War: The Confession.
    The reader finds out who Namor's "advisor" Machan really is.
    The last two or so issues of Jason Aaron's PunisherMAX. When you do the math and find out where Frank's been sleeping all this time, and for how long he's been going back there and why -- Jesus Christ, it's the most upsetting thing in the world.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Astonishing Member

Bucky's resurrection and Doctor Doom becoming Ironman.

The Ultimate X-Men issue where Wolverine has to put down the kid because he can't control his power which causes people around him to decay.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

David Haller erasing himself from existence to save the world.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.