Default Do you think Barbara could be as much of a psychopath as her brother?

Do you think Barbara could be as much of a psychopath as her brother and not even realize it? I mean she's a vigilante and a hacker yes she's a superhero but you could make the same arguments about Batman that he's insane what with dressing up as a bat and apply them to her. I mean she breaks the law and justifies it and at the same time she lies to her father and keeps her extremely dangerous secret from him. I'm not saying she's exactly like her brother but maybe they both have degrees of psychopathy and her's is less severe than his. I feel like a good twist on Barbara and her brother would be for it to be implied her memories of him growing up aren't entirely accurate and for it to be implied that had things happened differently they could easily have traded places in life I'd especially would like a scene where it's implied that because they were kids what happened isn't exactly one hundred percent clear and for them to have a confrontation like this.

To quote this paper:

The essence of the triarchic model is that psychopathy encompasses three distinct phenotypic constructs: disinhibition, which reflects a general propensity toward problems of impulse control; boldness, which is defined as the nexus of social dominance, emotional resiliency, and venturesomeness; and meanness, which is defined as aggressive resource seeking without regard for others (“dysaffliated agency”).
    Or to quote the Wikipedia article on psychopathy to put that in everyday English:

Psychopathy is traditionally a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, and egotistical traits.
    So, uh... no. I don't think she's even remotely psychopathic.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Babs is bold, but that's about the only thing from either of those that fits her.

Psychopath, she is not.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I think what we saw in Future's End is the closest I could see her going "dark" - and even that was still very much "fighting evil."
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Amazing Member

In the annual Mairghread Scott teased something like this, with James Gordon Jr. saying he believed Barbara was like him because she enjoyed/didn't flinch at the gory scenes of slasher/horror movies. I definitely want to see more Batgirl-James Gordon Jr. interactions.

She seems like a very empathic person to me, and she cares for others in a non egotistical way. So no, I don't think she could be a psychopath. Not without going through a ton of stuff that could change her core personality.

Yes, of course she could be an evil psychopath, all it would take is a terrible writer who doesn't get her character and a bad vision for an edgy story and for DC editorial to be in one of it's moods where they don't give a buck what happens to Barbara. And none of that is exactly unheard of.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yes, of course she could be an evil psychopath, all it would take is a terrible writer who doesn't get her character and a bad vision for an edgy story and for DC editorial to be in one of it's moods where they don't give a buck what happens to Barbara. And none of that is exactly unheard of.
    You've written the perfect post on the subject. I like Good Babs, not Bad Babs.

Oh look, Castiel comes up with yet another "idea" for changing the fundamental nature of an established character or concept that rips off/was inspired by some movie/anime/TV show, purely for shock value, and this time demonstrates that he doesn't even understand what he's talking about (like what exactly a psychopath actually *is*).
    Last edited by Timber Wolf-By-Night; 02-01-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Oh look, Castiel comes up with yet another "idea" for changing the fundamental nature of an established character or concept that rips off/was inspired by some movie/anime/TV show, purely for shock value, and this time demonstrates that he doesn't even understand what he's talking about (like what exactly a psychopath actually *is*).

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    In the annual Mairghread Scott teased something like this, with James Gordon Jr. saying he believed Barbara was like him because she enjoyed/didn't flinch at the gory scenes of slasher/horror movies. I definitely want to see more Batgirl-James Gordon Jr. interactions.
    That's horrible reasoning. Lots of people don't flinch at gore and don't have any kind of mental illness. I have to wonder if that's just the character talking or if Scott herself believes that; I sure hope not.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Between Gotham by Gaslight’s version of Jim Sr, the Gotham tv show’s version of Barbara Sr and the comics’s version of James Jr.......there’s definitely something screwy about that family, lol.

BANNED

this made me imagine a killing joke where Jr. kidnaps Barbara after shooting Gordon and tortures her to bring out her inner psychopath like joker tried in Batman beyond.