Mighty Member

Default Marvel Knights 1-6

What do you think about this event ? Personally, I'm disappointed. It's like every event (beside "52") written by multiple writers: it lacks a cohesive vision, the story and characters are underdeveloped and the pacing is weird (At first Daredevil is the main character but it focus on Tchalla. The nemesis is Doctor Doom but he is killed in 10 seconds by Fisk, but wait, it was just a Doombot...) .

It's a pity, the story was very interesting ! There was a "Emperor Doom" flavor, with my favorites street-level characters (and I loved Marvel Knights).
    It's the first Donny Cates project who really disappointed me. Not bad, but totally forgettable.
    Last edited by lordozone; 01-30-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    What do you think about this event ? Personally, I'm disappointed. It's like every event (beside "52") written by multiple writers: it lacks a cohesive vision, the story and characters are underdeveloped and the pacing is weird (At first Daredevil is the main character but it focus on Tchalla. The nemesis is Doctor Doom but he is killed in 10 seconds by Fisk, but wait, it was just a Doombot...) .

It's a pity, the story was very interesting ! There was a "Emperor Doom" flavor, with my favorites street-level characters (and I loved Marvel Knights).
    It's the first Donny Cates project who really disappointed me. Not bad, but totally forgivable.
    You mean "forgettable?"

Anyhow, my thoughts throughout MK up until this final issue was that how I ultimately felt about it would depend entirely on how well I liked the ending.

As it turns out, I like the ending quite a bit. Some nice reveals, a solid explanation behind the mystery and some cool character moments.

Was it a great mini? No, not in my opinion, but it was a totally decent one. I think it's well worth a read for fans of these specific characters.

I really loved the Daredevil, Kingpin, Frank Castle and T'Challa stuff here, in particular. But everyone had their moments to shine.

So, thumbs up.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    You mean "forgettable?"
    Corrected, thank you

Anyhow, my thoughts throughout MK up until this final issue was that how I ultimately felt about it would depend entirely on how well I liked the ending.

As it turns out, I like the ending quite a bit. Some nice reveals, a solid explanation behind the mystery and some cool character moments.

Was it a great mini? No, not in my opinion, but it was a totally decent one. I think it's well worth a read for fans of these specific characters.

I really loved the Daredevil, Kingpin, Frank Castle and T'Challa stuff here, in particular. But everyone had their moments to shine.

So, thumbs up.
    Yeah, i'm totally ok with you. And I loved the revelation of the "Dragon" at the end. But, from Donny Cates (my favourite new writer) and Marvel Knights (the line who make me return to comics) I hoped much more. Not bad, but a missed opportunity.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The ending didn't impact me much, which was a disappointment. The mystery was nice, I'm just not sure it earned its ending. I think, to make it work, they really needed to play with the alternate reality utopia more. It's a bit of Pleasant Hill meets House of M, but I wished it could have been better executed.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

It wasn't great, but I thought the mystery was fun. I wish the pay off could have been built up a little more. Felt a little rushed.

Just to add this though... I have always thought the notion that the world is somehow better off or safer without super heroes is riduculous and I find it strange that apparently the heroes agreed to the notion and went along with it. The heroes have saved the freaking universe how any times? I can get the appeal of making the villains forget who they are too, but when Dormammu or an Infinity gauntlet wielding Thanos shows up on earths doorstep, you want super heroes.
    Last edited by XPac; 01-30-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Pretty disappointing to me. As a tribute to the Marvel Knights line, it failed IMO.

Did this MK20 celebration have Inhumans? ¿Dónde están los Inhumanos?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

this storyline is completely disconnected from current continuity where the kingpin is a mayor daredevil is crippled the sentry has combined with the void after strange released him etc. so ultimately it doesn't fit but the mystery was entertaining and was a nice shoutout to Paul Jenkins storyline and the interactions up to a point were also entertaining but kingpin and tchalla were not particularly well handled or suited to the storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Did this MK20 celebration have Inhumans? ¿Dónde están los Inhumanos?
    Seeing how bad he wrote them in Death of Inhumans, I'm happy they didn't appear in another mediocre work of Cates. I'm a fan of the characters but I would rather see them in limbo than seeing them in Cates' incompetent hands again.

Amazing Member

I told myself "this story occurred in the past", at least before Secret Wars 2015.

Thor with golden arm and golden hammer appear, I tell myself "What the h...!!"

Who is the child hinting Banner to wake other heroes? Who is the boy beating Punisher in issue 2 (or 3)? What actually is "Ghost Karen" and is she the same one narrating in Man Without Fear #2?

Many questions pop in my head if I try to make this Earth-616, So I will tell myself "Forget it!!"

Wow. Wow, that was disappointing.

I was really looking forward to MK20, due to many factors (Donny Cates, alternate standalone Marvel story) but oh boy, was I dissapointent.

I really liked the early issues. Heck, I enjoyed all the issues. But #6 was rushed. Left so many things unexplained. Things happened for the sake of happening. This had so much potential. I wish they would give this story the chance it deaerved. I would like to see them explore this new reality. I would lime for us to see some more former heroes living their ordinary lives. But unfortunately we didn’t get any of these.

Extraordinary Member

I honestly feel like it needed one more issue. Then we could have some better character moments, give the ending some room, have some better fights. It just felt so...blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I honestly feel like it needed one more issue. Then we could have some better character moments, give the ending some room, have some better fights. It just felt so...blah.
    Yeah, I think they needed at least one more issue too. They sort of tried to jam too much into the last issue to resolve everything. Rather than being told what happened, I would have liked to see flashbacks on them all agreeing to do all this and the rationale behind it. I have trouble believng all of them agreed to do this five times in a row.

Also, a more in-dept Hulk/Sentry and Kingpin/Daredevil fight would have been cool.

So is this mini meant to be in continuity? I was going to pick it up for Elektra but kept forgetting to buy it!