Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The Batman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    "I don't care what happens to me." Its right there in the trailer. While I don't think he is suicidal, this Batman is definitely reckless. Which is a consistent way to portray an early Batman who hasn't matured enough to realize yet that there is more to it.

Also - on another note - I do like the street level vibe of Penguin's words. Ever since Burgess Meredith, Penguin has been shown as more like a Kingpin type who is sophisticated. This Penguin seems very mobster and I like that. Getting a very Nolan Falcone vibe here.
    The way I see it, The Batman is an origin story, albeit a different sort of origin from the kind we've seen before. This time round, we're not learning how he got the suit or the car or even the idea to become Batman - we're learning how he goes from a psychologically disturbed, violent, rage-driven vigilante to the master detective, great warrior and above all ''hero'' we're all familiar with. It is jarring to see Batman being so pissed off by an imprisoned Riddler that he loses control and slams his fist against the cell door shouting ''Why don't you die?'' (or whatever it is he says...can't quiet make it out properly). But that's the whole point of the exercise.

As far as Penguin does, I agree with you. Honestly, I had a bit of dissonance seeing Penguin sound like a street thug rather than the more aristocratic figure we're used to seeing him as. But I guess I'll get used to it.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    The way I see it, The Batman is an origin story, albeit a different sort of origin from the kind we've seen before. This time round, we're not learning how he got the suit or the car or even the idea to become Batman - we're learning how he goes from a psychologically disturbed, violent, rage-driven vigilante to the master detective, great warrior and above all ''hero'' we're all familiar with. It is jarring to see Batman being so pissed off by an imprisoned Riddler that he loses control and slams his fist against the cell door shouting ''Why don't you die?'' (or whatever it is he says...can't quiet make it out properly). But that's the whole point of the exercise.

As far as Penguin does, I agree with you. Honestly, I had a bit of dissonance seeing Penguin sound like a street thug rather than the more aristocratic figure we're used to seeing him as. But I guess I'll get used to it.
    think he says 'what have you done'

Penguin is better as a street level kinda mobster. Give me how he was in the Arkham games, Suicide Squad Attack on Arkham, etc. any day.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I don’t think so, but man I hope not
    I thought it was the Riddler?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm just not seeing what the craze is all about. Not seeing anything here we haven't seen multiple times before already. Only thing that really stands out is that the Bat suit is pretty ugly.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post

Penguin is better as a street level kinda mobster. Give me how he was in the Arkham games, Suicide Squad Attack on Arkham, etc. any day.
    I'm assuming he has a final endgame and master plan ready in case he got caught.

I prefer my Penguin with an air of sophistication and suaveness but Farell also seems to be channeling a bit of DeVito's voice here. Supposedly he's getting an HBOMax series too, so I wonder if that's where he gets the umbrella.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm just not seeing what the craze is all about. Not seeing anything here we haven't seen multiple times before already. Only thing that really stands out is that the Bat suit is pretty ugly.

I agree. What I am seeing looks fine. It also looks like I've seen it 20 times. Maybe I'm wrong.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Lol It is ugly tho, ngl

You go to school to learn/Not for a fashion show...

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I've been saying that suit is ugly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post

Oh wow! For all the complaints about Bale's Batman voice, it sure looks like Pattison has got him beat in that department...

I agree that Penguin works as a street-level ''monster'' (though that's not necessarily the word I'd use for him). But there's always been this somewhat refined, faux-sophisticated, sometimes 'aristocratic' vibe to him. Most versions of him come from a wealthy family background. So him being this street thug who yells "I got you! I GOT YOU!" is a bit jarring. Even more so than Riddler as a serial killer (which has been done a few times now and isn't as wild a reinvention as you would think).

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I thought it was the Riddler?
    Same, I’m almost 100% sure it’s riddler seeing as we haven’t seen his face in any footage/photos so far

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    C'mon yourself.

Bats being able to take shots to the head in ANY form is something that even the comics don't do last time I checked.

But armor no selling machine gun fire is kinda...standard...for the genre. I am assuming that Super Hero movie is a genre by now.

But if peeps are going to insist on being arbitrarily nitpicky, have at it, I guess.
    I assumed that they were machine pistols, aka submachine guns. that's a lot less velocity and striking power when compared to a machine gun.

still completely absurd... but it's not "to the moon!"... just the outer atmosphere. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Oh wow! For all the complaints about Bale's Batman voice, it sure looks like Pattison has got him beat in that department...

I agree that Penguin works as a street-level ''monster'' (though that's not necessarily the word I'd use for him). But there's always been this somewhat refined, faux-sophisticated, sometimes 'aristocratic' vibe to him. Most versions of him come from a wealthy family background. So him being this street thug who yells "I got you! I GOT YOU!" is a bit jarring. Even more so than Riddler as a serial killer (which has been done a few times now and isn't as wild a reinvention as you would think).
    I'm wondering if he has the background of the Cobblepots being an estranged Gotham founding family.

I think the only character bit that was confirmed so far is that he hates being called "Penugin."

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Promo Art.

RiddletoBatman.jpg

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I don't think the suit is ugly at all but maybe a little too close to Netflix DD