Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: The Batman

i know what they are going for. Farrell is pretty good at playing sleazy (True Detective) and animalistic (Fright Night). i trust that they know what they are doing. i do wish that McConnaughey could switch up his accent. i'm already expecting the country lawyer performance. and i don't know what this flies in Gotham.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea saw this. penguin... well I like Farell but that's not good casting flip that. I rather Farrell play Afred cause I think Serkis could do a great Penguin. Both actor are a bit young for Alfred. But play up the grey hair and it will be fine.
    How old is Alfred supposed to be when Batman is starting out? I don't like him being old enough to be Bruce's granddad. I'd rather there was only a fifteen year age difference.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    How old is Alfred supposed to be when Batman is starting out? I don't like him being old enough to be Bruce's granddad. I'd rather there was only a fifteen year age difference.
    At least 18 yrs for me. Hope M Mc C won't be Harvey Dent. Why would Alfred and Harvey be so close in age. Oh well, nitpicking.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If I had my choice I would rather have someone close to Pattinson's age to play Harvey Dent. I have always liked the angle that Bruce and Harvey were friends or at least knew each other before Harvey became Two Face.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I love the idea of Matthew McConaughey being cast as Two-Face.

Spectacular Member

Is anyone concerned with them adding TOO many major characters to this movie? The more big names and character rumors I hear, the more I worry.
    I thought I had heard initially that this would be a early years Batman story. Unless alot of these characters are cameos or play minor roles, the story could suffer. Hope I am wrong

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    Is anyone concerned with them adding TOO many major characters to this movie? The more big names and character rumors I hear, the more I worry.
    I thought I had heard initially that this would be a early years Batman story. Unless alot of these characters are cameos or play minor roles, the story could suffer. Hope I am wrong
    I'm pretty excited. No idea yet how major or minor their roles are but it's potentially very cool to get an idea of just how expansive Batman's world is. Hearing it's a detective film so maybe the idea is that all the villains are suspects in whatever the big crime is.

I'm liking all of these casting choices, but I'm worried that they are throwing too many villains into the movie. It's too cluttered now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    To me if Bruce is 25 Alfred should be 50ish.... lol. Nevermind both actors are around that age but im not really worried about Alfred the point of my post is that I think Serkis could do an amazing Penguin.

i wonder what the architecture will be like in the movie. we've had various depictions over the... decades..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    To me if Bruce is 25 Alfred should be 50ish.... lol. Nevermind both actors are around that age but im not really worried about Alfred the point of my post is that I think Serkis could do an amazing Penguin.
    As per current canon, Alfred started working for the Waynes either before Bruce was born or while Bruce was a very small child, and I imagine him as being in his early 30's at that point. Which would roughly put him somewhere in his early to mid 50's when Bruce becomes Batman. If this movie is set during a time when Bruce has been Batman for maybe a few years at most, then Andy Serkis' age fits perfectly.

Retired

Serkis is 55, that seems more than old enough to be Alfred, especially if Robert Pattinson is playing younger than his actual age of 33. I think of Bruce starting out as Batman (or prototype Batman) in his early 20s, so in the movie I'd like him to be around 27. And Serkis does have grey in his hair--he definitely doesn't look young to me. My complaint is that he looks nothing like Alfred--who always had black hair (not grey) in the comics I read. The movies have so often cast Batman with very old actors, that now everybody thinks Alfy has to be an old codger.

Every time we get a new Batman cast, I hope to see actors that look like the classic characters. But it seems like this latest Matt Reeves joint is going out of its way to cast against the comics versions of the characters.

I will be long dead in my grave by the time an actor plays Alfred as a balding, tall, lean, moustached gentleman who doesn't wear glasses. I haven't much hope for a red-haired Jimmy Olsen in my lifetime either.

Get Karen Gillian and I'm here for gender swapped Ginger Jenny or Jamie Olsen

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    I'm not. Some of the "rumors" that have been circling this movie is that Reeves is planning a wide brimming "Bat-verse" that may not just be tied to his Batman trilogy. Ala spin offs, etc. from Batgirl or Nightwing's perspectives that can then feature these same characters more than once. If this is the case, then I have no issue with these big names all being introduced in the first movie with clear intent to carry them into other movies.

Retired

Well it belies the expectation that THE BATMAN was going to be a back to basics dark detective story. If it's doing all this set-up for future movies, it isn't going to be that stripped down film noir focused on the Batman. It's going to have all that other business going on--even if it's in the background. I get the feeling it's going to be a bloated picture that's trying to do too many things all in one movie, just like BATMAN V SUPERMAN. And then, of course, it will probably be nearly three hours long yet the nervous WB execs will cut the movie down to about 100 minutes, so it can have more showings, because they'll be scared that this behemoth isn't going to make enough BO for its budget--which it probably won't.