Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Batman

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default The Batman

Matt Reeves long talked about Batman movie has a release date. June 25 2021 and it will have a new actor in the cape and cowl. I am really curious who they go with to star since the long standing rumor is it will be a younger Batman than Ben Afleck who seems to be done with the role. I am hoping for a 30-35 year old Batman myself and hoping it is not some huge name actor.

CBR now has an article on the front page with more details:

https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-ben-a...r-bruce-wayne/

The article says:
    1. Ben Affleck will definitely NOT be Batman, and Affleck himself tweeted that he's excited to see Matt Reeves' vision on screen.
    2. The Batman will tell the story of a younger Batman
    3. Deadline.com has said that the movie will NOT be an adaptation of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One

One of the names being rumored for young Batman was English-Irish actor Jack O'Connell. I don't know his work, but from what I've read, he's only 5'8" tall.

I know Michael Keaton was also controversial back in 1989 because of his height and build (not to mention he was known as a comedic actor), but I don't think, in these days of social media, they need to cast someone like O'Connell.

Gal Gadot was likewise controversial, but that was a bust-size thing, not an overall height thing. She knocked it out of the park, and perhaps acting-wise O'Connell can also, but I really do hope they go for a more physically imposing actor for Batman.

Looking forward, you really can't have a Batman that is shorter than Wonder Woman. And try putting him next to the 6'4" Jason Momoa in a scene. I realize that Reeves isn't necessarily planning on his Batman crossing over with other DCEU characters, but even though Warners is backing off from the shared universe, I don't know if they're dispensing with it entirely, so they should take it into consideration how each actor will look standing next to the others.

Does anyone know Jack O'Connell's work, and do you think he'd make a good Batman irrespective of his height? What other actor out there, aged late-20s to late 30's would be a good choice?

Naw no idea who that is. I still want Gyllenhaal. Let him get in southpaw shape where he was jacked but not bulky. Affleks Batman looked and moved the most like batman but he was more Bulky The dark Knight returns batman. I want to see a leaner very agile batman. That way it doesnt looked weird when hes jumping around
    Batflek would land and do a roll and it looked weird cause he was so jacked.

BANNED

In BvS, Affleck was good. In JL, however (like the entire movie itself) something was off. He was acting like he was bored to death.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Naw no idea who that is. I still want Gyllenhaal. Let him get in southpaw shape where he was jacked but not bulky. Affleks Batman looked and moved the most like batman but he was more Bulky The dark Knight returns batman. I want to see a leaner very agile batman. That way it doesnt looked weird when hes jumping around
    Batflek would land and do a roll and it looked weird cause he was so jacked.
    I'd be down for Jake. Be down with Fassbender or Urban.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Aaaand I'm out. Affleck is probably my favorite live-action Batman, and I really wanted him to get a solo film. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

So I hope the fans like this new guy, but he won't be "my" Batman.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

No word yet on Ben in the role? I remembered he was fired?
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 01-31-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    No word yet on Ben in the role? I remembered he was fired?
    He retweeted it, signaling that it’s true and he’s done.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    CBR now has an article on the front page with more details:

https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-ben-a...r-bruce-wayne/

The article says:
    1. Ben Affleck will definitely NOT be Batman, and Affleck himself tweeted that he's excited to see Matt Reeves' vision on screen.
    2. The Batman will tell the story of a younger Batman
    3. Deadline.com has said that the movie will NOT be an adaptation of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One

One of the names being rumored for young Batman was English-Irish actor Jack O'Connell. I don't know his work, but from what I've read, he's only 5'8" tall.

I know Michael Keaton was also controversial back in 1989 because of his height and build (not to mention he was known as a comedic actor), but I don't think, in these days of social media, they need to cast someone like O'Connell.

Gal Gadot was likewise controversial, but that was a bust-size thing, not an overall height thing. She knocked it out of the park, and perhaps acting-wise O'Connell can also, but I really do hope they go for a more physically imposing actor for Batman.

Looking forward, you really can't have a Batman that is shorter than Wonder Woman. And try putting him next to the 6'4" Jason Momoa in a scene. I realize that Reeves isn't necessarily planning on his Batman crossing over with other DCEU characters, but even though Warners is backing off from the shared universe, I don't know if they're dispensing with it entirely, so they should take it into consideration how each actor will look standing next to the others.

Does anyone know Jack O'Connell's work, and do you think he'd make a good Batman irrespective of his height? What other actor out there, aged late-20s to late 30's would be a good choice?
    Camera angles and costuming will take care of height differences. Tom Hardy is only 5'9" tall while Christian Bale is 6'0" and yet Bane looked huge compared to Batman. But 5'8" does seem kind of short. Never even heard
    of Jack O'Connell being up for the role though. People throw out names all the time anyway. Doesn't mean these actors are in serious contention for the role. Who said it would be O'Connell?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Aaaand I'm out. Affleck is probably my favorite live-action Batman, and I really wanted him to get a solo film. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

So I hope the fans like this new guy, but he won't be "my" Batman.
    Affleck never did anything for me. Keaton and Bale were much better Bruce Waynes. Hell, even Clooney was better. And that is a big part of the character. The best part of Batman in BvS and JL was the stunt double.
    So as long as they get the same stunt double for the action scenes, Batman will be okay.

It feels like it was just yesterday when they were casting Batman for Batman v. Superman. In addition to the people already mentioned, I would add (specifically trying to think of actors younger than Affleck) Matt Cohen, Jensen Ackles, Jamie Dornan, Richard Madden, and Finn Witrock.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It feels like it was just yesterday when they were casting Batman for Batman v. Superman. In addition to the people already mentioned, I would add (specifically trying to think of actors younger than Affleck) Matt Cohen, Jensen Ackles, Jamie Dornan, Richard Madden, and Finn Witrock.
    He'd make a very good Batman, but part of me wants him to be a live-action Jason Todd. He was fantastic in the animated Under the Red Hood, so why not keep him in live action?
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    He'd make a very good Batman, but part of me wants him to be a live-action Jason Todd. He was fantastic in the animated Under the Red Hood, so why not keep him in live action?
    He’s 40. I don’t even think Dick should be 40. That said, his Red Hood costume last year was top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    He’s 40. I don’t even think Dick should be 40. That said, his Red Hood costume last year was top notch.
    I think if they are going for a younger Batman then it should be an actor in their late 20s, early 30s. Even 40 sounds too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think if they are going for a younger Batman then it should be an actor in their late 20s, early 30s. Even 40 sounds too old.
    I don’t think he should be under 30. At the very least.