Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: The Batman

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Anyone else think the practice of greenlighting a sequel to a movie that hasn't even been released yet kind of jumping the gun (even if it is Batman)? Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it's release as much as the next guy (I've bought the Hot Wheels versions of the Batmobile and Batcycle and the McFarlane figure today, so maybe a little more, actually), but didn't they also do this for Green Lantern and Justice League?
    Except that both movies seem to be in limbo at the moment. I haven't heard anything about either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Except that both movies seem to be in limbo at the moment. I haven't heard anything about either.
    That's kind of my point. Like I said, jumping the gun. I mean, I'm expecting to like it (even at three hours which I'm finding to be a really unfortunate trend, lately), but it just seems odd to me that studios and producers will okay sequels without the first weekends box office in yet.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Content is King right now, not quality.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I thought it was bold of the Dune movie to split into two parts for the first movie of the franchise. Like that movie, it could be that the Batman sequel is already sketched out as part II of a two-part story.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I thought it was bold of the Dune movie to split into two parts for the first movie of the franchise. Like that movie, it could be that the Batman sequel is already sketched out as part II of a two-part story.
    Dune needed it. They didn't even get half-way with that story. So I expect the second part will be longer than 3 hours.

Anyway, I think scheduling a sequel shows confidence and, given how Hollywood operates, you need to jump on sequels quick. Especially in securing a suitable release date.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    That's kind of my point. Like I said, jumping the gun. I mean, I'm expecting to like it (even at three hours which I'm finding to be a really unfortunate trend, lately), but it just seems odd to me that studios and producers will okay sequels without the first weekends box office in yet.
    Imagine if we got the first cut. It is supposedly over 4 hours long.

True. They do make a decent amount off concessions, maybe a third of the total income, but ticket sales are a lot higher than that.

I had the issue you mention during Joker. It was a great film but watching it was tough precisely because it was a never-ending spiral of depression.
    I really think people who found that intolerably depressing must live blessed lives on top of never having watched an actually depressing movie before. Joker was relatively upbeat and cheery compared to some actual feel bad movies out there. Our modern cinema going public has been weaned on nothing but happy pop movies from the 80s and the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    They just announced a sequel to that today and I personally say bring it

I'm not 100% sure about the Batman trailer but I'm optimistic. One thing I really hope the movie has in store is great Batmobile action, that has always been some of my favorite Batman movie things.
    Meh, the Mortal Kombat movie was the least shitty of the bunch, so I'm willing to give it another go. The Monsterverse is fucking dead to me though, and you literally can't do the sequel to Long Halloween (Dark Victory) they fucked/changed it up so much.

I'm kind of the opposite of you I guess. I love the Batman trailers, and this looks fantastic, but the moment that they revealed that the Batmobile is just a boring muscle car had me hoping that it gets as little screen time as possible. The best car chase scenes in the world can't save such an uninspired and sad design to me. If I wanted muscle cars, I'd just freaking watch a Fast and Furious movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yeah ... I am 100% on board with the new Batmobile.

That thing looks cool and is better than the Battank stuff of recent years. I've always enjoyed the modded car look for a younger Batman, glad it is happening on film.

The one scene so far with Penguin is promising.

Edit to add: so the press cut kit is coming out and one of the test cuts of the film was over 4 hours! So Reeves submitted a 2:55 and a 4+ hour cut for final!

Damn man ...
    Hoping that four hour cut makes it as a director cut I can get a hold of them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Content is King right now, not quality.
    Good point.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I really think people who found that intolerably depressing must live blessed lives on top of never having watched an actually depressing movie before. Joker was relatively upbeat and cheery compared to some actual feel bad movies out there. Our modern cinema going public has been weaned on nothing but happy pop movies from the 80s and the MCU.
    If a movie is a feel bad affair, what's the point? This is escapism, people don't generally want to escape into misery.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

If a movie is a feel bad affair, what's the point? This is escapism, people don't generally want to escape into misery.
    Not everything is escapism, and not everyone wants the same escapism. There's countless "feel bad" movies out there, so some people found something in them they liked. Hell, Joker made a billion dollars. So people liked it. And again, doesn't negate my point that if you've found that a spiral of depression and misery then you've been sheltered from a lot of movies because Joker is pretty mild.

It is the only sensible take on the character.

Folks might as well ask for an escapist "Punisher..." film/series.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It is the only sensible take on the character.

Folks might as well ask for an escapist "Punisher..." film/series.
    I disagree because Batman isn't the Punisher, Watchmen or Walking Dead. He's still a character marketed to kids.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I disagree because Batman isn't the Punisher, Watchmen or Walking Dead. He's still a character marketed to kids.
    His cartoons sure. But The Dark Knight wasn't a big kid friendly and targeted affair or bright cheery escapism. And despite that, we still get cartoons. Character has range, he can be targeted to different ages for different projects/products.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Last time a Batman movie was marketed to kids was 1997