Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: The Batman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    those asking for some reviews. deadline has one up

"Place alongside The Dark Knight and all the rest..."

What, even Batman and Robin? Batman v Superman?

Not a very informative review

IGN Review is up. They gave it a 10/10 and most other reviews are extremely positive as well. Though on Meta critic it's only 73. Spider Man No Way Home is in the 70's on Meta critic as well but it's a fantastic film. Meta critic is weird to me........

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-bat...bert-pattinson

Extraordinary Member

Thus far, most of what I've heard sounds consistent enough that I still think I'm liable to enjoy it, as will most Batman fans, with the real question being how Joseph and Josephine Schmo see it. Everyone seems to agree it has a strong style, a strong mystery element, great performances, and a challenging run time.

And apparently its very recognizably as a superhero film, with even the fewer negative complaints leaning in that direction, i.e. "When the film inevitably reflect its genre in the third act" or "this film adds nothing new to the genre and is purposeless."

And for me, that last bit isn't just fine but arguably preferable. Ever since The Last Jedi and Iron Man 3 came out, I've had to add "daring and fresh" to my own "possible red flags in a critics review" list for genre films alongside my usual and more conventional list of "unimpressive acting" and "sloppy storytelling."

As long as this is a convincing escapist drama, I'm going to be happy and I'm going to want more. And i know that some critics are jaded enough that such a formula is never going to appeal to them.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Happy to see promising comments.

Like other posters, I’m pretty sure I won’t be surprised by anything in this film plot-wise, but I think it’ll be a cinematic experience like Dune for me.

“Batman Fatigue” has been a real thing for me for about a decade, but this is the first Batman-centric thing I’ve been excited for since then. I hope I like it!

87 rt score but up and down like a yoyo all day.

Some reviews say it's a mystery crime story and light on action. Great mystery but slow burn!

Late to the party warns it may bore kids! But they loved the movie otherwise.

Most of the youtubers liked the movie. Some just say it's more a slow mystery over a big action film but does have good action when it starts.

He liked the film but hated patterson as batman.

Reel rejects loved it!

He liked it!

BANNED

Movie pulled from Russia

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...se-1235101581/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Reel rejects loved it!

To be fair, those twits like everything. Hell, they love Snyder's crap.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 03-01-2022 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    He liked the film but hated patterson as batman.

Really enjoy Jeremy Jahns reviews but that Batman characterisation criticism I can imagine was intentional. Reeves and Pattison have been upfront that this isn't a fully formed Batman who has his vigilantism figured out, he's a sophomore. He's in Batman mode in and out of the mask, so the Batman he wants to see with his personas, I'd imagine we'll see as we get more films and the character evolves, just an observation.

BANNED

I am taking time to dive into the reviews, so far there could be a case that Reeves has gone further than Nolan and Burton, which is what I wanted and will expect for a director of his calibre, however just how much can that be said is going to be the real debate, I cannot wait to be a part off.

The 3rd arc seems to be an issue, I saw Grace Randolph review. she called 2/3 of the film a masterpiece but said the third arc was weak. Superhero movies in the last 7-10 years has been hammered by weak CGI fest 3rd arc, I just cannot believe a director like matt reeves will make the same errors. I hope Grace Randlpoh is wrong when she talks about the 3rd arc of the movie. I wonder what could have gone wrong.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with some of the things I am hearing about the movie, the technicality and artistry is getting praised, other folks are saying Zoe Krativz steals the show, which is darm good to hear as I was sort of worried about her from the trailers. I was not feeling her as Catwoman.

The only other issue is that I have not seen too many feedback of this is an Oscar bait kind of comic film, which was one of my criticisms of the first trailer, when I said I wanted the film to give me that Logan/Joker oscar vibe and I did not get it from the trailer, so I guess I should not be surprise by this? I am pretty good at predicting the outcome of movie stuff, although this makes me wonder what WB plans were for the film from all sides.

Oscar bait movies never get released in February-March, as it is very very easy the buzz and momentum will fade by the end of the year once award season starts, I think this was part of the reason King Kong vs Godzilla missed out on a VFX Oscar nomination even though the VFX of Kong vs Godzilla is miles better than Spiderman NWH and Shang CHI but Kong vs Godzilla coming out quite early in 2021 was part of the reason the movie was forgotten.

WB will need a new marketing strategy to make sure The Batman stays in spotlight for the rest of the year, especially when we have like 10 other comic films coming out in 2022. they need to start selling this film as a pure artistic comic book movie ASAP since that seems to be the strongest aspect of this film, based on the reviews.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-01-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Incredible Member

WB will need a new marketing strategy to make sure The Batman stays in spotlight for the rest of the year, especially when we have like 10 other comic films coming out in 2022. they need to start selling this film as a pure artistic comic book movie ASAP since that seems to be the strongest aspect of this film, based on the reviews.
    Since the movie is being released on HBOMax 45 days after release (I know I'm waiting), I don't see how it will stay in the spotlight for too long. Batman will do well in March and most likely April, then fade to black when Doctor Strange comes out in May.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Since the movie is being released on HBOMax 45 days after release (I know I'm waiting), I don't see how it will stay in the spotlight for too long. .
    why is it getting released after 45 days HBO Max, that is less than 6 weeks. Spiderman NWH is still playing in cinema after almost 3 months? what is up with WB strategy? Why are they doing this.

Batman will do well in March and most likely April, then fade to black when Doctor Strange comes out in May
    Usually I could have seen this because Sam Raimi is as much of a good director as Matt Reeves, however Dr strange is still an MCU movie and will likely follow other mcu movies , meaning it should be really hard for dr strange to make the batman fade, since reeves is all about the artistry and dr strange is likely to be more pop corn fun, however I am aware that the mainstream media, general movie going audience, critics don't really put this this as the top-top priority. all they will see is marvel vs dc, and marvel is more favourable to them.

WB should ignore all that and just continue to promote the film in its own bubble. the fact that the Batman is self contained would make it much easier to do so since WB would not have to deal with what is going on in the DCEU. Additionally, they will have The Flash and Black Adam for that anyway. WB just need to treat The Batman as they did with Dune.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-01-2022 at 09:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

why is it getting released after 45 days HBO Max, that is less than 6 weeks. Spiderman NWH is still playing in cinema after almost 3 months? what is up with WB strategy? Why are they doing this.

Usually I could have seen this because Sam Raimi is as much of a good director as Matt Reeves, however Dr strange is still an MCU movie and will likely follow other mcu movies , meaning it should be really hard for dr strange to make the batman fade, since reeves is all about the artistry and mcu is more pop corn fun, however I am aware that the mainstream media, general movie going audience, critics don't really put this this as the top-top priority. all they will see is marvel vs dc, and marvel is more favourable to them.

WB should ignore all that and just continue to promote the film in its own bubble. the fact that the Batman is self contained would make it much easier to do so since WB would not have to deal with what is going on in the DCEU. Additionally, they will have The Flash and Black Adam for that anyway. WB just need to treat The Batman as they did with Dune.
    It's simple, they invested a lot of money into HBO Max and they want to see a return on the investment which means driving more eyes to that service.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

The negative reviews I’ve read don’t deter me. Seen a lot of them say shit like The movie not being a escape from the dreary state of the world currently. Why would a Batman movie need to do that? It’s been described as being like Sev7n. Why would you think this was gonna be a fun escape? I’m a littler concerned about a movie like this being so long. Don’t mind dark but almost 3hours could be taxing. Got my ticket for Sunday I’m still excited. The good reviews got my hyped where as the negative ones from Top critics seem to have weird complaints.