Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Batman

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Jered Leto is 47 so using old guys would be the theme.
    Hopefully Leto is gone soon too.

Astonishing Member

The fact that Affleck's Batman was a veteran who had been operating for decades, it is probably for the best that they keep towards the early part of his career. This allows the studio to do films that are distant from the whole BvS/SS/JL era. A fresh start. Plus we've had allusions to specific story points that are ripe for exploration.

It really is a shame that most of my preferred actors for Batman are of an older persuasion. So they probably won't get a look in. Either way, I'll just throw my list into the mix -

• Obviously Gyllenhaal is a contender and should be given serious consideration.

• Michael Fassbender is also another viable option. Although I'm not sure if he wants to commit to another franchise so soon after X-Men (unless it was James Bond.)

• Anson Mount would also be a good pick in my opinion. Plus he has geek cred in that he did Inhumans and is on Star Trek Discovery.

• Jon Hamm is one of my (two) desired picks. So it is nice to see his name amongst the other actors to take over.

• My personal choice is Jim Caviezel. But at 50 there is likely no way he'd ever get it. Plus he is too busy with The Resurrection Of The Christ to even film it. Since that film is slated for release in 2020.

Retired

I imagine why people feel bummed out about Ben Affleck not being in a Batman movie is because he never got to be in a Batman movie. He got to be Batman but not in a movie that you'd say was a real Batman movie. And he was such a good fit for the Batman part, that I would have liked to see him in a real Batman movie.

But probably the reason he got plugged into those other movies was because it was so easy to envision him as Batman. There didn't need to be a solo Batman movie to sell him as the Dark Knight. So it was easy to just have him dress up in the costume and do the right poses and it was acceptable that this was Batman.

However, I think the Batman role is a thankless task. Actors don't really get to do a lot with the role. Christian Bale was Bruce Wayne for a lot of BATMAN BEGINS, yet he never did the kind of acting that Christian Bale has got nominated and won an Oscar for doing. And in his other two Bat movies, he stood next to the actors who got all the attention. Michael Keaton came the closest to giving Bruce Wayne some peculiar traits, but even he didn't have enough time on screen to flesh out Bruce Wayne and was upstaged by the actors in make-up and prosthetics.

The main duty of the Batman actor is to say some lines of exposition to Alfred, pose in the Bat suit so the lighting makes it look good on screen, be handsome enough that it's acceptable that he could be a billiionaire playboy, get out of the way when the stunt performers have to do their jobs, come back months later for reshoots and looping in post-production and keep his cool on press junkets for the movie.

It really doesn't matter to me who plays Batman in the movies. I had no idea who Christian Bale was when he was Batman in the first movie--and I hardly know who he is now. It's more important who is the director, what is the story and which other actors will be in the movie.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 02-02-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Hopefully Leto is gone soon too.
    He wasn't given much to do, and I think he has the potential to do better as Joker.
    I wonder how Joaquin Phoenix will do as the character.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Leto wasn't a bad Joker. He just had a horrible character design.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    The only actor who is really in the right age range is Jack O'Connell, and I still think at 5'8", he's way too short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I know some are going to complain but I agree 5'8" is way too short. To me Batman should be imposing and should be at least 6' tall if not a little taller.
    The bat costume itself can add 6" to a person's height. Out of costume, it's not difficult to add height with camera angles and creative set design. Look at any Cruise movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I imagine why people feel bummed out about Ben Affleck not being in a Batman movie is because he never got to be in a Batman movie.
    Actually, I just thought he was a terrible Batman, and I can't stand the thought of him actually being in a Batman movie. Sends chills through me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    He was both AND was a nightmare to work with. I SERIOUSLY doubt WB will bring him back.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That... PLUS he was horrible. It is hard for me to rewatch his scenes in SS and not because they were chilling or unnerving.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 02-06-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    That... PLUS he was horrible. It is hard for me to rewatch his scenes in SS and not because they were chilling or unnerving.
    I remember when they had the part in the trailer where he says I'm not gonna kill you, just hurt you real real bad. And people were like OMG this weird looking Joker might work and then nope not so much. But honestly I dont hate SS I thought the cast saved that movie. Will Smith, Margot robbie,Jai courtney(Crazy right) saved the movie for me. The plot was dumb the movie was an ugly dark color the whole movie. But the costumes weren't bad I wouldn't have gone 100% practical for killer Croc but whoever did his make up deserved there Oscar. But then again they did that bright neon green hair on Joker that i hated so maybe not. Joker looks better with darker hair imo. Like Black with dark green streaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I remember when they had the part in the trailer where he says I'm not gonna kill you, just hurt you real real bad. And people were like OMG this weird looking Joker might work and then nope not so much. But honestly I dont hate SS I thought the cast saved that movie. Will Smith, Margot robbie,Jai courtney(Crazy right) saved the movie for me. The plot was dumb the movie was an ugly dark color the whole movie. But the costumes weren't bad I wouldn't have gone 100% practical for killer Croc but whoever did his make up deserved there Oscar. But then again they did that bright neon green hair on Joker that i hated so maybe not. Joker looks better with darker hair imo. Like Black with dark green streaks.
    The Joker without obviously green hair isn't the Joker.

Considering Affleck is out and Joker doesn't seem to be a physical factor in Birds of Prey, I'm just going to quietly hope they phase out Leto as Joker .

Looks like Robert Pattinson will be the next Batman
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Looks like Robert Pattinson will be the next Batman
    If they do finalize this decision then I wish him luck. Dude deserves a big hit blockbuster after Twilight tarnished his image for years.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The Joker without obviously green hair isn't the Joker.

TAS joker that Hamil voiced Is the definitive joker for alot of people and he had black hair that you could see dark green highlights in from time to Time. That a the joker to me not bright neon green hair.

Dont like Pattinson as Batman but could be worse choices.