Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Batman

Extraordinary Member

People hated Affleck from the start but Twilight slides right in no problem. The fandom is unpredictable...but I ain't mad..I ain't mad at all....

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    People hated Affleck from the start but Twilight slides right in no problem. The fandom is unpredictable...but I ain't mad..I ain't mad at all....
    I was surprised by all the hate Affleck got at first, I always thought he could do it. The only doubt I ever had during his casting was in the beginning when I had him confused with Alec Baldwin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I was surprised by all the hate Affleck got at first, I always thought he could do it. The only doubt I ever had during his casting was in the beginning when I had him confused with Alec Baldwin.
    I didn't hate Affleck Batman because Affleck, I hated the take on the character. Affleck might have been a perfectly reasonable Batman 20 years ago.

But I'm one of those heretics that think Frank Miller ruined everything he touched, and anything based on his work is likely to get a frown from me.

Extraordinary Member

LOL. Funny thing is I don't think Baldwin would have been a pretty good Batman. The Get Away,Heaven's Prisoners dude had some chops.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    But I'm one of those heretics that think Frank Miller ruined everything he touched, and anything based on his work is likely to get a frown from me.
    If you think Miller "ruined" Daredevil, you can't be more wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I didn't hate Affleck Batman because Affleck, I hated the take on the character. Affleck might have been a perfectly reasonable Batman 20 years ago.

Eh, personally I like Year One and adore The Dark Knight Returns. I think the problem is less Frank Miller and more the people who were inspired by him but took the wrong lessons from it (namely all "everything is dark and gritty from now on!").

Now, Miller since then? Valid complaint.

Eh, personally I like Year One and adore The Dark Knight Returns. I think the problem is less Frank Miller and more the people who were inspired by him but took the wrong lessons from it (namely all "everything is dark and gritty from now on!").

Now, Miller since then? Valid complaint.
    Even if everything he did post-Year One was insufferable trash, his legacy would be one many other creators could only hope to aspire to: Daredevil (including his "return"), Ronin, TDK, Batman: Year One. I like Sin City up to a point. But that's a hell of a run.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Sad thing is Miller has been milking his past success for so long now he has kind of become a joke. He has not written anything that comes even close to his past glories in decades now, but he still keeps getting work base don his name alone even though his talent has long since gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Sad thing is Miller has been milking his past success for so long now he has kind of become a joke. He has not written anything that comes even close to his past glories in decades now, but he still keeps getting work base don his name alone even though his talent has long since gone away.
    Opinion, not fact.

I wasn't offended by his performance, but strategically, Affleck wasn't a great choice for a long-term Batman. If they wanted to do DKR, or some other late-career story, then fine. But introducing him for the Batman v Superman film, then after that having him be a founding member of the JLA some 20+ years after he's already Batman, well...

The Miller standard shouldn't be allowed to have a stranglehold on how the character is portrayed. That's just not a good look in the long run. It doesn't have to veer back to Adam West camp. But it doesn't have to be a barely-restrained maniac, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Catwoman, Joker, Bane, Two-Face all have multiple live action roles.

Ivy, Freeze, Riddler, Scarecrow, Penguin, the al-Ghul's, have all had one, but I think Riddler and Freeze deserve second looks before Penguin and Ivy.

I might be missing some, I'm doing this from the top of my head.
    I forgot about twoface but ya I don't really count tv shows as it's different than a movie has more time so of course they are going to reuse villains.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Since they are going the more detective route I really think they are missing something by not using the Riddler. This kind of story seems perfect for him as a villain. I am ok with Penguin since I am thinking they are going to go with the crime boss/arm dealer version from the last few decades, and not something like the ridiculous version Burton came up with. I am not sure what version of Catwoman they are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Since they are going the more detective route I really think they are missing something by not using the Riddler. This kind of story seems perfect for him as a villain. I am ok with Penguin since I am thinking they are going to go with the crime boss/arm dealer version from the last few decades, and not something like the ridiculous version Burton came up with. I am not sure what version of Catwoman they are using.
    I would like Riddler in a Hannibal Lecter role. Theres already history of Riddler being a good guy and helping Batman. Maybe in this maked his motivations mysterious but have him be a resource for Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Great. Now let's sit back, relax, and watch people riot in the streets!

Glad to finally see the green light on this. I really do think Pattinson will do wonders with the role.