Spectacular Member

Default What's your DC Comics timeline?

So, when/how did you start reading comics? And how have you got to where you are now, in terms of comics?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    So, when/how did you start reading comics? And how have you got to where you are now, in terms of comics?
    Well I started by watching Batman: The Animated Serie, then Burton's Batman's.
    Then much later I picked up a Comics in my local Library. It was Batman: Hush.
    It made me want to know more.
    I looked and searched for lists of must reads and reading orders.

First started with Mark Waid's The Flash. I was given the "Terminal Velocity" arc as a Christmas present one year. Then my neighbor would give me all of his 90's Superman comics and the first comic I ever purchased with my own money was a copy of Grant Morrison's JLA. Watched all of the animated films, movies, etc.

Stopped reading in the early 2000's so it was later that I came back to Power of Shazam, JSA, Starman, etc many of which would become my favorite series.

Came back to reading around the time, "Blackest Night & The Return of Barry Allen" came out. Stopped with the new 52 and have gone 90% Marvel in the past several years.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I couldn't tell you exactly when, but it was pre-Crisis in the early 1980s.

Probably got into superheroes with reruns of Super Friends. I dont actually remember a time in my life when I didnt love DC's characters. Somewhere in the 80's superheroes were replaced by Transformers and GI Joe and then Nintendo.

The comics got my attention when Superman died. There was a piece about it on the news one night and I thought "Superman? I used to love him. That comic might be worth something someday, I should get it." Never found an issue until a cousin let me borrow the debut issues for the fake Supermen in Reign. And the Superboy issue blew my mind. He wasn't corny like Super Friends Robin was, he was modern and cool and I started grabbing everything Super-related I could find at the local corner store. Then around the summer of Zero Hour I discovered a hobby shop. And that was it.

Over the years my DC reading has waxed and waned, but if it's not DC it's been Marvel or Image or Dark Horse or whoever. I don't think I've ever *not* read comics since Reign of the Supermen, and there's always at least one or two DC books on my pull.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Im mid-50s. I don't remember a time when there weren't comics, except a break between 1990-1995(ish). My older brothers had comics and I started with them. They quit at about 17 or 18, and I never did.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I started reading comics when I little.
    Spider-Man and Batman were my poison of choice.
    Then the DC 100 page giants for 99 cents got me hooked on all things DC.
    I didn't REALLY get bitten by the collector bug until the late 80's with the Flash, and now I'm a hopeless addict.
    Honestly, a drug habit would be cheaper.....
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I'm 50. I started out with new episodes of Super Friends and reruns of Batman '66 when I was 3 or 4.

I've been reading DC comics ever since.

With the exception of a few years in the 90s, when I was in my early-20's, I've bought new comics the day they came out each and every week.

I'm still miffed at the original ret-con of CoIE and still nostalgic for the times before it, when everything was canon.

That said, I have always enjoyed the latest comics best. I still love a lot of the older stories but, to me, there's no substitute for the latest chapter about characters and mythologies I've been reading my entire life.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told > Batman Year One > Batman Year Two > Wonder Woman Vol. 1 Gods and Monsters > Wonder Woman Challenge of The Gods > The Unofficial Autobiography of Lex Luthor > World's Finest Superman/Batman vs Joker/Luthor > Marvel vs DC > Batman Hush > The Killing Joke > Watchmen > New 52 > Batman RIP > Batman Long Shadows > Rebirth > Golden Age

Spectacular Member

Born in 1975. Mom got me comics by the time I was 5. Went to the comic shop 1st time summer 1989. Haven't stopped since.

My first comic was Superboy Starring The Legion of Super-Heroes #204.
    I was 7 years old.
    I was more of a Marvel guy but I was always reading a few DC books.
    I have pretty much given up on new issues but I still enjoy back issue reading.
    Mostly pre-Crisis.
    superboy204.jpg