Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Bette Kane: Flamebird,Hawkfire, and the First Batgirl Appreciation 2019

I decided to make a 2019 thread for Bette Kane. Hopefully 2019 is her year and she will be able to appear in more stuff
    tumblr_mkdor2j4Q41r1mq35o1_500.jpg
    RCO030_w.jpg
    RCO007_1469379752 (2).jpg

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    I decided to make a 2019 thread for Bette Kane. Hopefully 2019 is her year and she will be able to appear in more stuff
    RCO030_w.jpg
    I hope so too! I know Oberon would love it! And as a Hawkfire fan (hahaha, like, the only one) I would love to see a nod to her Batwoman history.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I love bette's personality but she doesnt fit under Didio's grimdarkforeveh! mode of comics.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I love bette's personality but she doesnt fit under Didio's grimdarkforeveh! mode of comics.
    I totally agree with you!

One quibble: she wasn't "Batgirl". She was "Bat-Girl" (with a dash) and originally went by "Betty" (not Bette) when she first appeared in the 1960s.

I first discovered her in reprinted stories (most in b&w) in a bargain book I got back in the early 1970s.

As for the change from "Betty" to "Bette", that may have happened when she appeared in Teen Titans back in the +/- mid-1970s?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

No your not alone! I've recently discovered Bette and i have not been dissapointed. I'm a sucker for obscure characters. She really is amazing. I really love that she is very persistent and doesn't let people tell her what to do.
    Hooray! Her determination in the Batwoman series was what endeared her to me.

I'm curious - do people pronounce her name "Bet" or "Bettee"?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I hope so too! I know Oberon would love it! And as a Hawkfire fan (hahaha, like, the only one) I would love to see a nod to her Batwoman history.
    No your not alone! I've recently discovered Bette and i have not been dissapointed. I'm a sucker for obscure characters. She really is amazing. I really love that she is very persistent and doesn't let people tell her what to do.

That would be in keeping with being related to the Waynes. Bruce doesn't take no for an answer either. Also in her 'hidden' back story is the idea that maybe her original Aunt Kathy taught her other things, like that fierce will?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I liked how Bette was used while wearing it but the suit didn't do it for me. Made her look like a Hawkman character .

I don't think it holds a candle to her Flamebird costumes.

Spectacular Member

RCO020_1468908211.jpg
    I liked her on this team sadly they only lasted two issues

I can lighten up, Millernumber1, and have it be a part of her history. It would be kind of cool. Having her acknowledged as Bat-girl, Flamebird and Hawkfire. It does seem she will mostly come back to Flamebird, but we may not know for a while.

RCO030_w.jpg
    She always kills it with her costumes.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

One the the better stories of the late 50's/early 60's era is BATMAN #159.

Batman159.jpg

I don't remember that one, but one that I've mentioned is "Prisoner of Three Worlds", which Morrison tapped during his Batman run. The idea that Batman and the family of that time, had encountered a number of semi-toxic gases that caused hallucinogenic experiences. Or... ?

Thank you for doing this! Since it seems likely that the character will be realized in some form in the CW Batwoman, I think this could be her year.