Default Batman: Shaman - Error in the script?

I'm new to the comic world and I've decided to start reading batman after I've found a good reading order list. The thing is, I've just finished "Batman - Shaman" for the second time and I think either I've found a script error in the story or maybe I just didn't understand something and would glad need some clarification.

In the part 3 of 5, page 14, Alfred says: "These hideous human sacrifices started a year ago, before you funded Dr. Spurlock's expedition to Alaska."

Part 4 of 5 Batman says he has just found the connection between Chubala (Carl Fisk) and Otter Ridge, when he says Fisk got the idea of using Chubalan shamanism after he knew about Dr. Spurlock going to Alaska to study Indian shamans, in other words, he got the idea of human sacrifice AFTER Wayne funded Dr. Spurlock studies.

Anyone care to explain? Thanks.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I caught this on my first readthrough. As far as I could tell it doesn't make sense and is seemingly an error, which sucks because it's a crucial plot point. I'll look back through when I have the chance though.

EDIT: I guess we could imagine he got the idea when Spurlock's expedition was ANNOUNCED, possibly without Bruce's initial involvement, but before it actually happened?

Maybe. Well, in the part 1 of 5 he sends a letter to Wayne asking for funding to go and study the indians of northern Alaska, maybe Fisk knew Spurlock's plan before him being funded by Wayne and got his idea of shamanism?

I don't know...

Wait, it's said there "so, in a way, I'm the connection I've been searching for."

It doesn't make sense.