Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

tumblr_ocjecrXod81vrdl4lo1_500.jpg
    Flamebird by Inkydandy on tumblr

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    tumblr_ocjecrXod81vrdl4lo1_500.jpg
    Flamebird by Inkydandy on tumblr
    Oh, nice! Maybe I'm wrong, but this feels like a new version of her costume, with a blending of the military bleakness and belts of Hawkfire with the showy, beautiful Flamebird original (90s/2000s) costume.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Would be nicer with a mask. I do like it. It may sort of recall Hawkfire, I'm okay with that. The mask could recall that too, but should be flamey somehow.

Using the face-averaging process I did for Kate and Sophie, I made a 3D version of Bette and created her plebe portrait:

BetteKPlebe2.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Another piece of mine. Bette during the summer of 2018 in Cadet Field Training:

BetteFieldTrainingBig.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Those are both nice. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Those are both nice. Thanks for posting.
    Thank you!

So, I decided I wanted to find out more about Doomsday Clock.

This would seem to be right where I'm coming from as I've explained many, tedious times : I'm currently 63 and from age 12 or so, until 30-ish, I read many DC comics as well as Marvel, which I favor more. But something about Crisis turned me off on DC, the whole killing of Flash, Kara as well as serious changes to various continuities.

At 30, I was too young to be so disenfranchised - but I was. I mostly stopped reading DC at that point.

I picked up only occasional books; Legion of Super Heroes was a big thing for me, with the mystery of Sensor Girl (I love Kara as much as I love Bette - must be the blonde thing, and of course Sensor Girl turned out NOT to be Kara - which was a mind blowing great story - but I digress).

At some point I did become aware that 'Flamebird' was a sort of reimagined Bat-girl, that is, the original Bat-girl, who I did remember as a younger child, but mostly became interested in her slight revival at the end of the first Teen Titans series (late '70s).

But I still largely ignored most DC comics. Somewhere in the first decade (2004?) of this century I was aware of a new Batwoman and thought the concept was pretty cool but did not really think of reading it.

then the library I work for did an experiment. They'd previously only bought TPB Graphic Novels of Supes for the Young Adult collection.

But someone bought the hard cover, deluxe edition of "Elegy" and I came across it.

So I suddenly became a major BW fan. She is that awesome to me. But I noticed her blonde cousin and realized who that was and with a little investigation I found out more and that Bette was being used or to be used as Kate's sort of Robin.

~ I came (back) for Batwoman, but I stayed for Bette ~ of course that lasted a couple of years but I faithfully read her first volume and . . ..

I tried the new 52 Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwing and Batman Inc (not really a new 52, but I really liked because of the old/new BW and Bette stuff...) and I really enjoyed those titles.

Eventually as BW's first volume went to seed, I stopped reading again, until her more recent series.

Still digressing...
    ......... So in reading the thread and other info on Doomsday Clock it seems interesting that it seeks to tie up or explain some of the odd things in continuity and/or the changes between Gold/Silver, or pre COIE and Post. Also post the other Crisis followups, etc.

To my mind, Bette or Betty falls well within those parameters. Inconsistencies and or retcons that should or should not be.

If the Doomsday Clock purports that some 10 years of DC time was 'stolen' by Manhattan or someone, where better to look than the mess that is Batman's time with the first and subsequent Robins/Nightwings, etc.

Bette herself falls into that first Robin's timeline and since the idea of 4(?) Robins in / less than 10 years is preposterous, without some explanation that would seem to line up with Doomsday Clock's objectives.

Yeah.... this is not a Batman/family related story - - its Superman's story!! We are told this because Superman or some version of him (Silver? Golden? All or many?)

represents HOPE.

but I thought that Bette was also that kind of character and often used to explain her non-use. The Batman mythos doesn't need a hopeful character, right?

And wasn't that part of some grousing with Bette's encounters with The Hook and how she came back as HawkFire?

That somehow her role is best realized after some serious trauma.

But if Superman can represent hope, I really don't see why Bette can't TOO, and why this went over the heads of anyone taking a serious look at the various continuity problems of DC with its reboots and resultant inconsistencies.

to me, this is so an opportunity that went unrealized and should not have.

Bette Kane will continue on in live-action form, under the new name Mary Hamilton:

http://batwomanpodcast.com/nicole-ka...man-flamebird/

Thank you for sharing that. I had read some of this previously but had not seen the person being cast. I also knew that Mary is actually part of Bette's actual legal name.

So, some of this matches and ~in a way~ she may serve as a visual reference to Cassandra Cain as well? I'm not familiar enough with that other 'Batgirl' to know if that is true or if her fans will see it that way.

Regardless, those who've seen my posts here and elsewhere know or may remember I have a pet theory that says Bette doesn't realize she is actually Kate's half-sister (Jacob is also her father-due to being a twin to Bette's father - who secretly let him impregnate his wife *mucho complicated theory*).

But I also like how they explain CW shows way of differentiating the basic same or mostly same characters.

I think its a hoot that so many of the DC Legends characters are either created for that show, whole-cloth, or rather convoluted versions of the comic book analog.

So this may happen with the pseudo Bette, or clearly a plot point will be trying to make her become more like either Jacob or Kate. Time will tell.

In much earlier 'concept' stage of the show and its characters it was implied that the Mary character would also or at some point be "a cape", that is a vigilante type like Kate. Don't know if they will follow through with that, but cool news for 'Bette'.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    In much earlier 'concept' stage of the show and its characters it was implied that the Mary character would also or at some point be "a cape", that is a vigilante type like Kate. Don't know if they will follow through with that, but cool news for 'Bette'.
    Pretty sure Mary and Luke will eventually suit-up and join Kate in the fight.

All the Arrowverse shows have companions eventually join the battle, and sometimes they overdo it (apparently Arrow is very bad in this regard). In the Flash one of Barry companions started suiting-up mid season 2, but both started mostly starting in around mid season 3 from what I recall. In the Flash (I haven't seen season 4 onwards yet) it seems okay because apart from guest appearances where other metas help for up to 5 eps at a time before going their own way again, it's mostly just his 2 allies - which is enough IMO. I've heard Arrow overdoes it, with way too many additional vigilantes taking-up screen time and taking away from the protagonist and his capabilities. Supergirl seems to have a good balance, though I haven't seen the latest season yet. I find Guardian annoying and irrelevant though.

SSSsssssigh! It is rather galling to find/realize that

Someone is going to great pains/extremes/ ?whatever?

to resurrect or revive many - - -MANY - - -Silver Age and Pre-COIE characters -

who were mostly "one-offs" - never had a 2nd story or very rarely used at all,

for a new cosmic team of DC heroes, not related to Earth-ish.

United Planets Superwatch

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-who-are-they/

Superwoman (Luma Lynai of Staryl).

Don't get me wrong - I remember some of these characters, like Luma and have adored them or what I could find.

But why can't we get Bette Kane back to the DC verse under any persona?

Just doesn't seem fair, since she has more of a storyline going back all these years.

Not fair.

I loooooove Bette and Flamebird! (I do not recognize the moniker Hawkfire.)

It's an absolute shame that amongst all the Bat acolytes, Bette doesn't play a larger role. It's a no-brainer to me that she headlines a Batwoman and Flamebird title, as a juxtaposition to the classic Batman and a Robin pairing, or costars with Nightwing in a Nightwing and Flamebird title.

What I love about her is her heroic path is Batman-adjacent, but not Batman-specific. She's inspired by Robin or Batwoman, depending on how you blend her various continuities.

If I ever get to write a Batman story and he calls in all the reserves, to the Batcave or a Gotham rooftop somewhere, Bette will be there, front and center.

I've been playing around with her costume design too... I think it's time for a new one. Despite Batwoman's red and black color motif, I've been playing around with Bette's being a deep red color with black and gold accents. I'm also trying to design something that's simpler in design (kind of like Nightwing), but has one element of panache, because: BETTE! And, besides her electro-bolas, I'm trying to come up with an additional unique weapon for her.

Thank you. (especially for listening to my rant)