Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Reposting my Bette-centric stories for the new thread:

Fighting for Approval

Three-Time Brigade Champions Seek Fourth Title
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Because they named her in emulation of the actress.

I should have no horses in the race about how to pronounce "Bette", as for a number of years if I even saw her, I assumed it was pronounced "Bet" maybe a very slight drawn out on the 'T' sound.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I should have no horses in the race about how to pronounce "Bette", as for a number of years if I even saw her, I assumed it was pronounced "Bet" maybe a very slight drawn out on the 'T' sound.
    Wanna make a Bette!

Because they named her in emulation of the actress.
    Do you have a link to where it says they re-named her (from Betty to Bette) specifically for Bette Davis?

Of course I don't have that. I merely showed that someone else with that spelling had the other way of pronouncing.

Bette Davis died in 1989 which I believe is when the Secret Origins story of the new Flamebird showed up.

I really don't think that Ms. Davis was so unknown at that time, that only Bette Midler could be viewed as an example of the name's pronunciation.

I will admit that both real life Bettes were rather over the top type actors or characters, and possibly served as the flamboyant and crushing behavior that our Bette exhibited around then.

Good to see you, Chickfighter!

One of my photomanipulation pieces:

IMG_20190207_230457.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Maybe she'll finally grow up; been a kid since the early '60s, lol.

Maybe she'll finally grow up; been a kid since the early '60s, lol.
    She was vaguely in her late teens early 20s when she ran off with Beast Boy I think.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Yes. And she certainly was the most likely last time she ever appeared as "Bat-girl" in the first Teen Titans series, late '70s-ish. Last appearance before COIE, so last Silver Age Or was that Bronze circa '77 ?

Spectacular Member

Am i the only one upset that we dont get to see bette interact with the other batfam members?(In rebirth)

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    Am i the only one upset that we dont get to see bette interact with the other batfam members?(In rebirth)
    Have they really defined how much past interaction she's had with the general Batman Family since the correction of the New52/Rebirth version was introduced?
    (I know in one of the very early issues of Batwoman Bette reminded Kate she had previously been a Teen Titan, but that was later changed when they published the collected version because DC didn't make the definite decision that there had been no previous versions of the Teen Titans when the New52 started.)

Of course I want Bette to have interactions with the other parts of the DC universe, not just other Bats - but that would be a start.

Despite the retcon on her TT reference in the early Batwoman, as well as the way Kate kinda dissed her a bit, I had occasion to look at a pdf or two of old Silver Age Batman stories that had 'Betty' in them.

They actually portray her as pretty resourceful and able to do most of the swinging and stuff the Bats do. Of course it was the Silver Age, so "our" feelings or interpretations of those stories as canon may widely vary.

Suffice it to say, for that time, Batman and begrudgingly Robin, saw some value in how Betty handled the Bat-girl chores.

Beyond that, with this 'thing' that Bette and the Silver Age for the most part are not really addressed (or are they) in 10 years stolen by Manhatten/whoever and how this Rebirth may unify the 'verse, I see an opportunity to show that part of those 10 years include Betty's previous storyline. Does she just come out of nowhere, as in Batwoman (but then, why the Cutter storyline, which revealed her as Flamebird?) Hmmmmm? Should be followed up, I wish.