Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Astonishing Member

Actually, Bette's full name is:

Mary Elizabeth "Bette" Kane

Yes, I agree on the confusion of similar names. I really don't think Mary will be sidekick fighter kind of person. But I think she will be a valuable member of Kate's team. Who knows, and I agree with the rest of what you wrote; it is similar to Arrow and Laurel/Dinah.

Yep, known. The Bette is a nickname off of Elizabeth, obviously.

First Captain Bette Kane speaking during the 2019 Sylvanus Thayer Award ceremony on October 10:

BetteThayerAward2.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Tonight is Branch Night, meaning Bette would be receiving her branch assignment for her five years of service. I think she'd be pulling for Medical Service.
    Last edited by Caivu; 11-13-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

If I get Bette stories from no where else, I know I get something from your posts, Caivu.

Astonishing Member

I'm convinced that Mary Hamilton is basically the CW version of Bette Kane - much like how Thea Queen is the CW Mia Dearden.

I think her origins as a vigilante will be pretty similar to her comic-book origins - she seems to idolize Kate and holds her in very high regard. She wants to be a bigger part of Kate's life. And she clearly has the drive to do good, what with her illegal hospital for Gotham's poor and her willingness to help Batwoman on more than one occassion.

Once she finds out that Kate is Batwoman, it won't be long before she starts pestering Kate to be allowed to head out into the field alongside her. She might even take her own initiative to put on a makeshift costume and start shadowing Kate. So Kate will, relunctantly, be forced to train her.

I'm seeing that too, bat39.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'm convinced that Mary Hamilton is basically the CW version of Bette Kane - much like how Thea Queen is the CW Mia Dearden.

I think her origins as a vigilante will be pretty similar to her comic-book origins - she seems to idolize Kate and holds her in very high regard. She wants to be a bigger part of Kate's life. And she clearly has the drive to do good, what with her illegal hospital for Gotham's poor and her willingness to help Batwoman on more than one occassion.

Once she finds out that Kate is Batwoman, it won't be long before she starts pestering Kate to be allowed to head out into the field alongside her. She might even take her own initiative to put on a makeshift costume and start shadowing Kate. So Kate will, relunctantly, be forced to train her.
    I think she'll definitely want to work with Kate, but we might need a major inciting incident (like losing her clinic) to make her want to become a vigilante.

I mean, she's a doctor, so she practices "thou shall do no harm." So I think it would take something big to make her want to fight criminals on a daily basis.

Astonishing Member

I'm liking Mary as she is. I hope Bette becomes more like her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think she'll definitely want to work with Kate, but we might need a major inciting incident (like losing her clinic) to make her want to become a vigilante.

I mean, she's a doctor, so she practices "thou shall do no harm." So I think it would take something big to make her want to fight criminals on a daily basis.
    I like Mary and don't think she needs to become a vigilante. If they become set on Batwoman getting a Batgirl somewhere down the line, they should introduce Stephanie IMO - since she's the only Batgirl without a live-action version (Babs was on the Birds of Prey TV series, and Cass is in the Birds of Prey film). Mary works great as the team medic. That said, if she does become Flamebird, that's good too, but they'd need to build-up to it - not like what they did with Guardian who wasn't shown to have training.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I like Mary and don't think she needs to become a vigilante. If they become set on Batwoman getting a Batgirl somewhere down the line, they should introduce Stephanie IMO - since she's the only Batgirl without a live-action version (Babs was on the Birds of Prey TV series, and Cass is in the Birds of Prey film). Mary works great as the team medic. That said, if she does become Flamebird, that's good too, but they'd need to build-up to it - not like what they did with Guardian who wasn't shown to have training.
    Haha, your suggestion is music to my ears.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I'm liking Mary as she is. I hope Bette becomes more like her.
    Characterization-wise I don't think they're actually all that different, beyond Bette not being a doctor, but writers so hardly use Bette that it's easy to forget what her personality is like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I wouldn't mind Steph as Kate's Batgirl but I think they're more likely to go with the idea of Bette as Kate's "sidekick" means that's Mary's future.

Bette/y was a Bat-girl before she was Flamebird, so technically, she too is the only BG without a live-action version.

I think it makes more sense to use Mary as the possible Flamebird, since Batwoman's basic run includes Bette who is Mary Elizabeth Kane.

Bette on Branch Night, November 13, 2019:

BetteBNCroppedFinal.jpg