Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Lightning Strikes Twice: August Heart/Godspeed Appreciation Thread

A thread in appreciation of the black sheep of the Flash Family; Godspeed! I hope they complete his redemption arc and he gets to be a hero. I would like him to be part of a team like the Outlaws with Red Hood, Artemis, and Bizarro; or maybe he and the other Force Users (Fuerza and Psych) can become a team. I just want him to be used more.

(sidenote: am I the only one who reads him as Latino? Iunno why, but in my head I feel like he is)
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-30-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

I think he's latino as well. He looks the part! But i wish he had a more ethnical sounding last name. August Hernandez, August Perez, etc.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Honestly, does his specific ethnicity really matter? What if he were Indian or something would you like him (even a little) less? What if he were biracial? Just curious since y'all brought it up...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Honestly, does his specific ethnicity really matter? What if he were Indian or something would you like him (even a little) less? What if he were biracial? Just curious since y'all brought it up...
    Hmm, while I read him as Latinx, the importance of his race and/or ethnicity depends on context. As it stands right now, his background doesn't matter particularly because he doesn't show up too often nor do we get much in the way of character building because he's still in this weird nebulous place where he's not fully redeemed but he isn't exactly a full on villain either. However, it is important when/if they do decide to build on him because I feel that a characters race, ethnicity and/or culture should inform a character's personality and who that character is; as is the case in real life with people. I wouldn't really mind nor like him less if he were Indian or biracial or something like that. In all honesty though, I would be a bit disappointed (but not surprised) if he just turned out to be a white guy simply because it's usually the "default" choice and I am more interested (and would be more invested) in culturally and racially diverse characters at this point in my life. That's not to say it would actually make me love the character less if he were white, I would just see it as a missed opportunity and then not give it much thought after the fact.

That being said, DC hasn't exactly been very good at having their characters race/culture inform their character so i guess in a way it ultimately wouldn't matter because of how DC operates.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-30-2019 at 11:41 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member

August Heart is definitely my not-so-low-key favorite thing about Flash Rebirth, and one of my favorite things about Rebirth in general. I was looking forward to the prospect of Barry having someone like August around in a hero-partner capacity. It saddened me that he was the villain, due to the typical-ness of it, but they did have August sell himself on his own power-high, dark vigilante persona.

Like, those images in the opening post? I love them! They're so raw and powerful, how his true costume envelops over his rock-hard physique! And even though he's totes a bad guy there, there's something so enticing about how August revels during that scene.

I do wish we could have had slightly more time to follow August in his head early on, to see how his state of mind developed with gaining his powers and becoming more proficient in them. He'd have needed to have been elevated to dueteragonist-level during that time, but it would have been worth it to see things from his perspective. Especially since his instincts with the Speed Force was strong enough to develop his powers as quickly as he did, including the internal image of what would become his Godspeed costume. Granted, August was shown to be more daring and experimental with exploring what he could do, which also explains how he progressed so fast (in-universe; outside it, it was mostly time constraints), but I still think August's natural instincts with the Speed Force had a lot to do with it, too.

I was always hoping August would seek redemption, obtain it, and become a hero, 'cause I think his is a story worth telling as a hero. To that end, I hope the upcoming story with Godspeed will grant the character more than being someone else's pawn, and that it'll have positive results for August.

I also want them to explore August more on a personal level. In spite of his relative prominence, we know rather very little about August as a person, beyond his anger towards the death of his brother and that he was a friend of Barry's within the CSI department, one who apparently helped Barry come into the flow of things on the job early on. I want to learn more about that point in their history. And I would love to learn about August's family life, including his brother whom he was implicitly very close to but whom we know nothing about, not even what he looked like.

Learning more about his family could also help shed light on his ethnicity, which I do feel is something worth shedding light on. August isn't Caucasian, that much is apparent. Hispanic is a popular fan guess, but I get the feeling August is some decent of Native American. That's my guess. Confirmation whichever way would be nice (if Williamson has a twitter or something, I'd love for one of you guys to try asking him what August's ethnic background is, and maybe if he'll explore more about August personally in the future).

Last but not least, I want to know whether or not the implications Williamson wove into August/Godspeed's character mean anything or will pan out, specifically regarding his emotions towards Barry. When it comes down to it, Barry and his opinion means a lot to August.

I want Williamson to explore August and Barry's relationship more in-depth, from both perspectives.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-16-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

A cool capstone for August's redemption and transformation into his own hero could be to have him be confronted -- in a similar, power-high and emotion-high manner -- by a relation to the guy he burns to the bone that he assumed was his brother's killer, but that wasn't. I think the younger the relation, the better. It could end with August gaining the relation's forgiveness, with August helping them not go down the path he did.

We're likely a long way from that point, if we can even get that far, but I thought that would be a cool bookend idea.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-31-2019 at 07:09 PM.

First look at Godspeed from The Flash TV show:

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

He barely looks real, I don't know if it's an effect or a trick of the eye because of his suit and i don't know if that's a bad thing. I can't wait to see him in action! He's one of my top 3 favorite speedsters of all time.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Nice!

I'm surprised and happy they're doing Godspeed on the show! It's always nice when contemporary comics and stories get love in other media. I wonder how August Heart will be in the show, though? Will he have the same nuances and implied nuances that didn't get much exploration? (Like will the show pick-up the implications/subtext that August might have some feelings towards Barry, for example.) Will he have the chance to grow, like the comics version did during his time in Iron Heights, or will be a one-season-wonder?

The costume looks cool. I think they did a good job, although I will say that Godspeed's white portion in the comics, which looks a milkly, ghost-like white here, is more of a very pastel but bright light-yellow. Like, it has a shininess to it that I don't attribute to be a milk-white, ghosty color. Still looks cool, though.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    He barely looks real, I don't know if it's an effect or a trick of the eye because of his suit and i don't know if that's a bad thing. I can't wait to see him in action! He's one of my top 3 favorite speedsters of all time.
    I suspect it's the shade of white they use here. It makes Godspeed look more like a ghost or specter, compared to the luster, almost bright pale yellow/gold-esque white used in the comics. Looking him over some more, the gold in the comics version is highlighted and accented more than it is on this version, making the white stand out even more.

And I'm happy he's being used too. He's become a fave Speedster of mind as well, and he's only been around for about 3 years. Less than when you account for his appearance schedule during that time.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-16-2019 at 12:09 AM.

I was underwhelmed with Godspeed's role but he looked awesome in action. I wish they would've stuck more closely to his comic iteration but it was still great to see him and I hope they find a way to bring him back.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

I think godspeed will come back.
    By the way the actor is Kindall Charters a native american and the voice for godspeed is BD Wong.
    August Heart | Arrowverse Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
    https://arrow.fandom.com/wiki/August_Heart
    Last edited by mace11; 04-19-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't really mind nor like him less if he were Indian or biracial or something like that. In all honesty though, I would be a bit disappointed (but not surprised) if he just turned out to be a white guy simply because it's usually the "default" choice and I am more interested (and would be more invested) in culturally and racially diverse characters at this point in my life.
    I seen a few pics of comics godspeed and he does not look white.

Most of the new superheroes created in comics these days have been women and poc.
    That's something some of the anti-diversity crowd have been saying as well in the past few years in some of those comic youtube channels and the some of the comment sections.

The comic version for godspeed could be native american as well,but have not read any comics about him yet,so i can't really say yet if he is native american in the comics or not.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-19-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I was underwhelmed with Godspeed's role but he looked awesome in action. I wish they would've stuck more closely to his comic iteration but it was still great to see him and I hope they find a way to bring him back.
    Haven't kept up with the CW-verse in a good while. What was his role? (From your post, it seems to have been as a Villain of the Week, which is certainly lacking in the nuance that befits Godspeed's character.)

Astonishing Member

https://www.cbr.com/the-flash-willia...one-interview/

An interview that talks about Flash: Year One. Of note to this thread, Williamson's not done with August. (Really hope he doesn't end up bad again, or at least has nuance matching Scott Lobdell's Red Hood/Jason, and that we'll learn more about who he is on a personal level.)

CBR: Joshua, someone you introduced when you began your run on The Flash is August Heart, Barry's coworker at the CCPD and the speedster Godspeed. Now we see him in Barry's life right before he gains his powers, and afterward. Was this your way of adding an extra layer to August and Barry's relationship? It does add a new dynamic to their rivalry.

Williamson: Yes, during the start of Flash Rebirth and "Lightning Strikes" we said that August was Barry’s friend before the lighting, including being the one who found Barry after the lighting, but we barely saw the friendship in our issue #1. I wanted to keep this in line with my own continuity. BUT we also have big plans for Godspeed for next year and I wanted to continue to show examples of that friendship. Godspeed is an important element in the large mega story we’ve been telling with Barry and the Flash mythology since #1.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 05-15-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Joshua Williamson clarifies August's ethnicity

currently following: