Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    The cocoon was a Phoenix Egg. Same person but two bodies. Or the Jean Grey-Phoenix duality was a new creation made from aspects of Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force and these aspects later went back to their source.
    Is there really any evicende of it being a Phoenix egg? Unless it's retconned we have to take it for what it is. I just prefer to think that it doesn't matter at the end as PJean still had a part of Jean's soul and her memories/personality, and then Jean got them back on Inferno. The plan was for it go to her on the coccoon before she woke up, so it wouldn't even be like two different Jeans, that only happened cause Jean rejected DPS and then it went to Maddie.

Doesn't really matter that we call it a cocoon or a Phoenix egg or whatever...

In effect, both cocoon and egg did the same thing.

I think they called it a cocoon first, because Jean was said to have wrapped herself in a cccoon of TK energy to shield herself from the solar flare.

Later writers seized on the Phoenix Mythos , as a Bird-Creature when reborn, was born out of an egg.

BANNED

Didn't Morrison's ego introduce the concept of an egg when he claimed to bring the Phoenix back?

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Is there really any evicende of it being a Phoenix egg? Unless it's retconned we have to take it for what it is. I just prefer to think that it doesn't matter at the end as PJean still had a part of Jean's soul and her memories/personality, and then Jean got them back on Inferno. The plan was for it go to her on the coccoon before she woke up, so it wouldn't even be like two different Jeans, that only happened cause Jean rejected DPS and then it went to Maddie.
    It was effectively re-interpreted as a Phoenix Egg because Planet X and Here Comes Tomorrow treats the Phoenix Egg as a natural part of the Phoenix life cycle.

Jean dies in New York and 150 years in the future a Phoenix Egg is found in the blue area of the moon (where she had died as Dark Phoenix). The heroes and Sublime knew it could be there. Sublime-Beast says "My Phoenix Egg. My sweet Jean." They knew Jean would be reborn through a Phoenix Egg. Maybe they knew it, because it had happened before?

Jean died on the moon and the cocoon (Phoenix Egg) was found in the bay where the shuttle that she had previously died in, had landed. Classic 43 shows Jean going to the afterlife to talk with Death after she died on the moon. At the end he sends her back to life and we see her split between Maddie and the cocoon.

Here Comes Tomorrow establishes Jean as being a Phoenix by mutation. It is in her blood, genes, and organs. Mutants like her introduced cosmic strands into the gene pool at their birth. We see Jean as the White Phoenix in the White Hot Room just as we saw her as White Phoenix in the afterlife in Classic 43.

Considering Jean is a Phoenix by mutation and has always been a Phoenix and the Phoenix Egg is a natural part of her life cycle...then by implication the cocoon must have been a Phoenix Egg.

Both the cocoon and Phoenix Egg looked silver and metallic. At first the cooon was a silver capsule and then it was kinda dracula's coffin shaped. lol With the cocoon and the Phoenix Egg, Jean was reborn into a body other than the one she died in. Jean died in the new Phoenix body on the moon but returned from her original body in the cocoon. Jean's original body died in New York, but she grew a new body in her Phoenix Egg in the future.

Sure it may not have been spelled out explicitly, but the best writers don't spell things out explicitly. They don't insult the intelligence of their readers. Just like it was clear that Ernst was reprogrammed Cassandra in Stuff's body. The conversation that Xorn/Magneto has with Ernst in Planet X only makes sense given that Ernst was really Cassandra and had actually caused the destruction of Genosha. Of course we know in HCT, Cassandra was revealed to having been Ernst. Unfortunately, since Morrison didn't spell it out, later writers and editors got it wrong.

Morrison's version of the Phoenix mythos served the same purpose as Claremont's Classic X-Men backstories, to synthesize all the various retcon elements but preserve the idea that Jean was the Phoenix and had an innate connection to the Phoenix Force/Consciousness. Besides one vague line about a rogue Phoenix manifestation in New X-Men, all the other times Jean, Logan, Scott, Emma, and Xavier referenced the previous time Jean lit up with the Phoenix or left Emma almost comatose etc.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

I think they called it a cocoon first, because Jean was said to have wrapped herself in a cccoon of TK energy to shield herself from the solar flare.

Later writers seized on the Phoenix Mythos , as a Bird-Creature when reborn, was born out of an egg.
    Except in the phoenix mythos, the so-called "egg of myrrh" wasn't a consistent part of the telling. What was consistent was that the bird both perished and was reborn as a whole in flames. If I recall correctly, the egg of myrrh was for the ashes of the Phoenix that just died, not the vessel by which the new phoenix came into being. Obviously, it's ok for the comic writers to take some license with the myth, but I shake my head whenever I hear about Phoenix eggs or Phoenix fragments. Or even the possibility of more than one Phoenix being able to exist at one time. That was never the case in the myths.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Looks like they are finally releasing Claremont's Revolution run in Omnibus and releasing a Dark Phoenix Omnibus that includes Jean becoming Phoenix, healing the M'Kraan Crystal, and even more of the Classic X-Men backstories (6, 8, 13, 18, 24, 43) in August 2018.

Legendary X-Men writer Chris Claremont returns - to usher in a mutant revolution! And his uncanny roster mixes returning favorites with fresh additions including Cable, Cecilia Reyes, Tessa and the new Thunderbird! But who will lead the revamped X-Men? Would you believe Gambit and Rogue?! Foes both old and new threaten - from the nefarious Neo and the Crimson Pirates, to Stryfe and the N'Garai! But whose side are Lady Deathstrike and Senator Kelly on? And when Rogue's powers are scrambled by a Skrull, will she ever be the same again? Meanwhile, Mystique's Brotherhood of Mutants has deadly plans - and their machinations could mean the very literal death of Xavier's dream!

COLLECTING: X-MEN (1991) 100-109, ANNUAL 2000; UNCANNY X-MEN (1981) 381-389; X-MEN UNLIMITED (1993) 27-29; X-MEN: BLACK SUN 1-5; BISHOP: THE LAST X-MAN 15-16; CABLE (1993) 87
    https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Revolut...ont+Revolution

The greatest comic book saga ever told, in one cosmic-sized Omnibus! It begins with a shocking story in which Marvel Girl sacrifices herself...only to be reborn as Phoenix! But when a galaxy-spanning adventure reveals that Jean Grey has somehow attained power beyond conception, Cyclops and the X-Men can only watch as Phoenix is corrupted absolutely. As the team faces the Shi'ar Empire, Hellfi re Club and more, can Jean Grey be redeemed? Chris Claremont, Dave Cockrum and John Byrne weave an epic tale of triumph and tragedy that changed everything for the X-Men - and all of comics! It's the full Dark Phoenix Saga, with bonus tales illuminating Jean Grey's defining story!

COLLECTING: X-MEN 97-105, 107-108, 125-138; PHOENIX: THE UNTOLD STORY 1; MATERIAL FROM CLASSIC X-MEN 6, 8, 13, 18, 24, 43; BIZARRE ADVENTURES 27, WHAT IF? (1977) 27
    https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Dark-Ph...PVY1ZZ6VR0D8BS

Edit-- I didn't realize that X-Men Classic Omnibus came out this year on Dec. 19th collecting all the Classic X-Men backstories 1-44.

In 1986, Marvel launched Classic X-Men, a series that reprinted the "All-New, All-Diff erent X-Men" era -with a twist! All-new backup stories fleshed out the 1970s tales and delved deeper into the characters' lives, and new story pages were even inserted into the reprints, expanding on key moments and sowing the seeds for future storylines! Now, all this newly created material is collected in one volume for the first time - complete with comparisons and text articles explaining what was changed, what was added, and why! It's the perfect companion piece to your Uncanny X-Men collection! Friendships are forged, allies are mourned and lives are transformed in these rare tales that dance between the raindrops of some of the most revered comics of all time!

COLLECTING: BACKUP STORIES AND NEW PAGES FROM CLASSIC X-MEN 1-44; MATERIAL FROM MARVEL FANFARE (1982) 60
    https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Classic...B36D9HRSKRY2R2
    Last edited by PhoenixStudies; 12-25-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Wonder if the end of PR will be something like this.

First X-Lady

Quote Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
    Wonder if the end of PR will be something like this.

That would be lovely.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

https://comicstore.marvel.com/Jean+Grey/discover/17220 she has her own page of events on marvel
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Merry Christmas to the real Jean Grey of E-616 at long last returning to her fans!

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    https://comicstore.marvel.com/Jean+Grey/discover/17220 she has her own page of events on marvel
    That just feels too fitting. Jean's star has really risen recently. Ever since All-New X-men, she has really gained ground after being dead and written off for so long. Now with Phoenix Resurrection and a movie coming out in 2018, she seems poised to become one of Marvel's top characters and it's a beautiful thing.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post

The actual issue clearly states it was a cocoon.

I woke up this morning and thought Jean’s book came out

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post

The actual issue clearly states it was a cocoon.

That cover is misleading. Because what Jean was in was actually wrapped by an old mattress or something, that is what's shown on the cover. The egg/cocoon is really the same thing, regardless of whatever it's called. I don't see what the debate is about.