Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Jean and Scott will ALWAYS be iconic. Despite not being an item for 14 years, they are the core go to X-couple and we see that throughout multiple iterations whether it be film, AR stories and most representations of the X-men. Morrison didnt change the fact that they are iconic

I think scott and Jean lost value on the iconic market of couples. Scott/Emma rival it

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

I think scott and Jean lost value on the iconic market of couples. Scott/Emma rival it
    Uh, no. Not even close.

Nobody outside the rump of post-90s comics fandom even knows Scemma exists. Also, even within fandom, Scemma has no equivalent of the Dark Phoenix Saga or the decades of high-fantasy romance arcs that flowed from it.

Scemma's main claim to fame is...being a meta deconstruction of Jott.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I love Jean and Scott, they are my favorite couple but i think rogue and gambit is currently the most iconic couple. sure jott appeared in the cartoons and soon in the movies but they haven't been a couple for almost 15 years in books (were it really matters). All they have now is both a great and a terrible legacy.

though i think scemma shines by virtue of writers messing less with it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I suspect that Jean is going to understand why things got so bad with Scott, will disagree, but will understand. And wish that things hadn't gotten so bad.
    That sounds about right.

What I find interesting are the parallels between Jean's vision as portrayed in X-Men Red and Scott's vision post-Messiah Complex. Quite different in execution, but similar in spirit.

Honestly, I do wonder how much the Scott and Jean dynamic resonates with newer audiences. For those of us who grew up with them as the Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver of the X-Men, it was unfathomable to think they'd ever be forcefully split up. But the movies come out and their relationship is barely a thing in it (even though they were actually married), and not long after their relationship implodes under Morrison and Jean died and stayed gone long enough for newborns at the time to now be in high school. For us "old" fans there's wistful memories and sour grapes, but for kids who started reading in more current eras do Scott and Jean have any more weight than say Kitty and Peter do?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    For us "old" fans there's wistful memories and sour grapes, but for kids who started reading in more current eras do Scott and Jean have any more weight than say Kitty and Peter do?
    I'd say that depends on if they've read the Dark Phoenix Saga or not.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    I'd say that depends on if they've read the Dark Phoenix Saga or not.
    Maybe, but they also have the curse of knowing how it ultimately ends which I expect colors the impact at least a bit. I came into the X-Men in the 90's, right around when Scott and Jean got married and they were as strong as ever then so taking in DPS had no bittersweet component, especially since I knew Jean would "get better" eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    Uh, no. Not even close.

Nobody outside the rump of post-90s comics fandom even knows Scemma exists. Also, even within fandom, Scemma has no equivalent of the Dark Phoenix Saga or the decades of high-fantasy romance arcs that flowed from it.

Scemma's main claim to fame is...being a meta deconstruction of Jott.
    I don't think all fans are going for a Epic romance, some might just like small stories. i don't think Scemma is bigger than Jott, but it really made a big impact when they were together;

I know majority of peopel that don't read comics don't know about it, but I dont really think it counts. We know Scott/Jean of the x-couples is the one with most exposition on media

Honestly, I do wonder how much the Scott and Jean dynamic resonates with newer audiences. For those of us who grew up with them as the Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver of the X-Men, it was unfathomable to think they'd ever be forcefully split up. But the movies come out and their relationship is barely a thing in it (even though they were actually married), and not long after their relationship implodes under Morrison and Jean died and stayed gone long enough for newborns at the time to now be in high school. For us "old" fans there's wistful memories and sour grapes, but for kids who started reading in more current eras do Scott and Jean have any more weight than say Kitty and Peter do?
    I have heard this many times, but when was this ever confirmed? I don't remember anyone ever referring them as married in movies. Were they wearing wedding rings?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I have heard this many times, but when was this ever confirmed? I don't remember anyone ever referring them as married in movies. Were they wearing wedding rings?
    Jean said it one time (lol) when Logan was coming on to her. Something like:

Jean: You don't take the bad boys home, Logan. I married the good guy.

It's never mentioned again, showing how little regard for the relationship (and mainly Scott) the movies had.

Edit: I went found the quote on IMDB. It actually goes like this.

Dr. Jean Grey: Girls flirt with the dangerous guy, they don't bring him home; they marry the good guy.
    Wolverine: I can be the good guy.
    Dr. Jean Grey: Logan, the good guy sticks around.

So you could argue that doesn't necessarily confirm Scott and Jean are married, but it's pretty close.
    Last edited by ariwl1; 05-17-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Jean said it one time (lol) when Logan was coming on to her. Something like:

Jean: You don't take the bad boys home, Logan. I married the good guy.

It's never mentioned again, showing how little regard for the relationship (and mainly Scott) the movies had.

Edit: I went found the quote on IMDB. It actually goes like this.

Dr. Jean Grey: Girls flirt with the dangerous guy, they don't bring him home; they marry the good guy.
    Wolverine: I can be the good guy.
    Dr. Jean Grey: Logan, the good guy sticks around.

So you could argue that doesn't necessarily confirm Scott and Jean are married, but it's pretty close.
    Yeah, I remember that exchange. That still doesn't confirm it. Now, if someone can go through all Scott or Jean scenes and see if they have wedding rings on... I sure as hell am not going to do that.

Yes. I dont think Scott/Emma even come close

I started reading X-men with Bendis All-new X-men. Of course that crawling the way back, I discovered about Scott cheating on Jean and all the crap with Emma. That killed any good feeling I had towards the couple instantly.
    I don't think it can be fixed in any way. I don't think new readers really care about it

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I started reading X-men with Bendis All-new X-men. Of course that crawling the way back, I discovered about Scott cheating on Jean and all the crap with Emma. That killed any good feeling I had towards the couple instantly.
    I don't think it can be fixed in any way. I don't think new readers really care about it
    Yeah, i hate what morrison did (not breaking them up) but the way it was done. But i feel that this (or any relationship) deserves at least some respect when breaking up, which sadly it wasn't given.
    but it just made no sense, it's like for EXAMPLE we had Logan, we have lived in his head for years and know that he loves Jean, that he would never betray her. He would give his life for her. Then some editors and writers thought that Logan having a serious relationship limits both characters and out of nowhere, contradicting years of evidence Logan screw things up so fucking bad.

does it makes sense? of course not. but what happened with Logan in this example is what really happened with jott. and it makes me afraid of any relationship in general because it means that marvel doesn't care for jott, scemma, jogan or whatever jean starts now. that for much that they push any romance they will get bored and butcher it for no other reason.

I have not much hope for jott but i get the feeling that scemma will get screwed hard when scott comes back regardless of what happens with jean. because that's love for marvel, nothing.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 05-17-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Mighty Member

They were certainly cohabitating. In the first movie, Jean straight up tells Logan that her room is down the hall with Scott.

I vaguely recall there being a deleted scene from the first or second movie implying/suggesting Scott and Jean were engaged with one or both of them wearing a ring, but I'm not sure.