Makes me wonder if there's any original piece of the Xavier Mansion left since it gets blown up roughly every other Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
    Agreed and I thank her for that because then we will see Jean tear Cassandra apart once more. Do you guys think that maybe they want Jean to develop Phoenix powers on her own like Jim Lee had in mind to do?
    I hope. I always loved the idea of Jean having her own limited Phoenix powers : no cosmic entity, no dark phoenix, no unlimited powers.
    Like Rachel was during the first Excalibur run.
    - I love Wolverine. Really.
    - Yeah ? Which one ?

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

I agree with the majority here that Taylor's Jean is largely spot on. His take is similar to Morrison's (and thus has elements of Claremont's take). Jean is very compassionate and empathic. She is also very powerful and confident, but avoids violence if she can or unless she loses her temper. She is an idealist, but still a flawed human. She still has her fiery temper (as we saw in the Annual when she was tempted to lose it on the prejudiced human and Black Bolt).

Even without the Phoenix Force proper, Jean is being written similarly to when she has been a Phoenix. In wanting to fix the world and create a mutant nation she has a special mission (like Phoenix Work). The exploration of her omega level psychic potential also makes her and Teen Jean feel similar to a Phoenix-ed up Jean.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellinoze View Post
    I hope. I always loved the idea of Jean having her own limited Phoenix powers : no cosmic entity, no dark phoenix, no unlimited powers.
    Like Rachel was during the first Excalibur run.
    Like this right?

Even though I like the idea, I think that in the end Jean is tied with the Force forever. Too bad they don't want ot explore this connection properly...

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    I agree with the majority here that Taylor's Jean is largely spot on. His take is similar to Morrison's (and thus has elements of Claremont's take). Jean is very compassionate and empathic. She is also very powerful and confident, but avoids violence if she can or unless she loses her temper. She is an idealist, but still a flawed human. She still has her fiery temper (as we saw in the Annual when she was tempted to lose it on the prejudiced human and Black Bolt).

Even without the Phoenix Force proper, Jean is being written similarly to when she has been a Phoenix. In wanting to fix the world and create a mutant nation she has a special mission (like Phoenix Work). The exploration of her omega level psychic potential also makes her and Teen Jean feel similar to a Phoenix-ed up Jean.
    You are not wrong. However I don't like her regression regarding Phoenix at all after all the development she had with it. And becoming White Phoenix of the Crown. Another reason is that why we can not have Cosmic Jean adventures. Even what Red does feels fresh, Jean doing something completely different would more fresh.

I'm enjoying Jean's portrayal. I get that she genuinely cares about those around her, even the misguided people trying to hurt her and other innocent mutants. I love that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Of course it did. By skipping 20 years they removed every writer who'd destroy it for cheap drama.
    True.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Makes me wonder if there's any original piece of the Xavier Mansion left since it gets blown up roughly every other Tuesday.
    Of course: the cornerstone that Logan himself laid when he built the mansion with his bare hands (to be revealed in The First X-Men v2).
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Jean is being completely in character. Her charcterization this far has been amazing and we couldnt ask for better following her return. Sorry you dont like it but for the most part we Jean fans are good
    This is what I’m talking about. The Jean of old championed Xavier’s dream and showed compassion. She understood that there was hatred out there, but didn’t feel the need to personally chew randos out after invading their minds.

Last edited by KurtW95; 06-07-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I'm enjoying Jean's portrayal. I get that she genuinely cares about those around her, even the misguided people trying to hurt her and other innocent mutants. I love that.
    True.
    Of course: the cornerstone that Logan himself laid when he built the mansion with his bare hands (to be revealed in The First X-Men v2).
    Lol, that is so dumb that i had to see it happen

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is what I’m talking about. The Jean of old championed Xavier’s dream and showed compassion. She understood that there was hatred out there, but didn’t feel the need to personally chew randos out after invading their minds.

She's done worse

Jean is a very compassionate person but she's always been shown to have a temper. Taylor has portrayed her to be quite empathetic in Red. Even after going off on that guy in the annual, she still restrained herself and we later saw her checking in on him to make sure he was okay bc she cares. THAT is exactly who Jean Grey is

I thought she was tremendously out of character in Morrison’s run, which I am no fan of.

I thought she was tremendously out of character in Morrison’s run, which I am no fan of.
    Oh well, Red is inspired by it so its canonically an evolution of where she left off. Taylor is writing her in character to her last portrayal

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

She absolutely wasn't out of character in Morrison's run though, and she's not now, either. Jean doesn't need to be docile. She's a very compassionate character and she's a telepath. I think that getting assaulted by a hotdog the same day that you've been brought back to life allows Jean to be super justified.

There's also that Jean is taking a very specific non-violent approach in Red as best as she can.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    She absolutely wasn't out of character in Morrison's run though, and she's not now, either. Jean doesn't need to be docile. She's a very compassionate character and she's a telepath. I think that getting assaulted by a hotdog the same day that you've been brought back to life allows Jean to be super justified.

There's also that Jean is taking a very specific non-violent approach in Red as best as she can.
    I never said she should be docile, just not vindictive and obnoxious. I’d like to have seen how Rosenberg would write her after Resurrection or Greg Pak following up from Endsong. Or even better, Fabian Nicieza, whose sadly being relegated to weird, tiny coorperation partnership books like Lexus/Black Panther and the cancelled Northrop Grumman book. Or Chris Yost and Craig Kyle. Red is just terrible, but that really isn’t all that surprising after X-23’s character was wrecked in All-New Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh well, Red is inspired by it so its canonically an evolution of where she left off. Taylor is writing her in character to her last portrayal
    Well, technically she left off at Phoenix: Endsong.

For no reason the other day Karen Grant popped into my head and what do you know, today a flashback appears.

https://www.cbr.com/preview-x-men-blue-29/
    First X-Lady

Well, technically she left off at Phoenix: Endsong.
    thats been forgotten and retconned out of existence. Besides Jean only interacted with the X-men in that and she was unstable due to the Phoenix. Her behavior in Red doesnt contradict her there, not that it matters as it doesnt appear as if she remembers that