Page 1784 of 1884 FirstFirst ... 784128416841734177417801781178217831784178517861787178817941834 ... LastLast
Results 26,746 to 26,760 of 28258

Reading a lot of Larry Hama's Wolverine, i had come to appreciate the friendship beetween Jean and Logan, specially in Wolverine #65 when she tries to be an friendly ear to his troubles because a lot of **** that he was going throught in that period of time.

Fantastic Member

I got to do a re-read of Red yesterday and one thing I like about Tom Taylor's portrayal of Jean, is his emphasis on what a skilled diplomat she is. There are few characters who genuinely make others WANT to help them. Jean is very good at that, she inspires trust and camaraderie with almost everyone. If she were a Game of Thrones character, I think she would be Margaery Tyrell. She's got a genuine desire to do good and she is attempting to be very strategic about it's pursuit these days.

The X-Men have combated bigotry since their inception, Jean is attempting to play out a stringently, thought-out idea on how to make the world better. Her gathering some of the most brilliant minds in the world and getting them to willingly contribute to this endeavor shows just how convincing she can be.

King T'Challa and Namor are two of the most cunning and crafty characters in the Marvel Universe, yet both were willing to publicly stand with Jean, even when Cassandra framed her for the U.N. Ambassador's assassination. I know there was a period where readers were sick of Jean in the den mother role but those years of being an avenue of support and friendship to so many different personalities was probably very good training for where she finds herself now.

Namor, X-23 and the others are probably working with Jean for 3 reasons, they think her plan has actual merit and a chance at success, they realize she may be in over her head with the scope and is going to need there help, and finally, I think they genuinely like her.

She's not falling on a past allegiance, she doesn't have a sexual or romantic history with anyone involved, she just genuinely reached out for help and worked to convince them that her plan is worth pursuing. I think my two favorite moments so far were her apologizing to Kurt and Laura when she was blaming herself for everything that happened and both Kurt and Laura telling Jean it wasn't her fault. Also when Namor took Jean on the tour of the Atlantis ruins, when Jean thanked him for helping his people, Namor said "they aren't MY people" and Jean slapped him on the shoulder and said "Oh, stop that." LMAO. I honestly couldn't picture ANY other character speaking to him that way. It was just so Jean.

Again these are all my thoughts after doing a re-read, but I'm more confident then ever that Tom Taylor is going to do really good things for the Jean Grey character.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    I got to do a re-read of Red yesterday and one thing I like about Tom Taylor's portrayal of Jean, is his emphasis on what a skilled diplomat she is. There are few characters who genuinely make others WANT to help them. Jean is very good at that, she inspires trust and camaraderie with almost everyone. If she were a Game of Thrones character, I think she would be Margaery Tyrell. She's got a genuine desire to do good and she is attempting to be very strategic about it's pursuit these days.

The X-Men have combated bigotry since their inception, Jean is attempting to play out a stringently, thought-out idea on how to make the world better. Her gathering some of the most brilliant minds in the world and getting them to willingly contribute to this endeavor shows just how convincing she can be.

King T'Challa and Namor are two of the most cunning and crafty characters in the Marvel Universe, yet both were willing to publicly stand with Jean, even when Cassandra framed her for the U.N. Ambassador's assassination. I know there was a period where readers were sick of Jean in the den mother role but those years of being an avenue of support and friendship to so many different personalities was probably very good training for where she finds herself now.

Namor, X-23 and the others are probably working with Jean for 3 reasons, they think her plan has actual merit and a chance at success, they realize she may be in over her head with the scope and is going to need there help, and finally, I think they genuinely like her.

She's not falling on a past allegiance, she doesn't have a sexual or romantic history with anyone involved, she just genuinely reached out for help and worked to convince them that her plan is worth pursuing. I think my two favorite moments so far were her apologizing to Kurt and Laura when she was blaming herself for everything that happened and both Kurt and Laura telling Jean it wasn't her fault. Also when Namor took Jean on the tour of the Atlantis ruins, when Jean thanked him for helping his people, Namor said "they aren't MY people" and Jean slapped him on the shoulder and said "Oh, stop that." LMAO. I honestly couldn't picture ANY other character speaking to him that way. It was just so Jean.

Again these are all my thoughts after doing a re-read, but I'm more confident then ever that Tom Taylor is going to do really good things for the Jean Grey character.
    Great take, and I just want to hone in on the "den mother" thing and say that I find it endearing as heck, as the X-Men is a found family (with subgroups, sure, but a major sense of community) and I love that Jean is the "mom friend". The fact she can back it up with her powers and be the lady you do not mess with makes it even better. I really hope we see her really engaging with the school/students at some point down the line.

I've binged through loads of older X-comics though, so I appreciate that if it was monthly and hand-in-hand with her being frequently diminished as a threat, I could totally see how it gets annoying, but Red as a culmination of that really works for me. She's basically trying to grab the world by the ear and talk some sense into it, which is just what's needed, frankly.

I know these questions have been asked before, but since we have a bunch of new and returning Jean fans:
    *Which artist(s) draws your favorite version of Jean?
    *Which artists that have yet to tackle an X-Men run featuring Jean would you like to see draw her?

For favorite versions, I was initially going to put a couple, but I kept adding more and more, haha. Jean's been fortunate to have been illustrated by a lot of great artists. It was hard to choose, but the ones with * are more definitive in my eyes.
    * John Byrne - the truly classic version from Dark Phoenix Saga
    Walter Simonson
    Whilce Portacio
    * Jim Lee - whether you liked his designs or not, he basically made everyone look stunning, and he drew the X-Men in his prime
    Carlos Pacheco
    Ethan Van Sciver
    * Phil Jimenez - the version I think of when Jean is her ultimate self
    Mike Mayhew
    * Mahmud Asrar - does a great job at making Jean look both powerful and beautiful

For artists I'd love to see draw Jean, Olivier Coipel and Jim Cheung are at the top of my list. Except for sketches I found online, I can only recall Coipel drawing her once on a cover, and for Cheung, in one panel of Avengers: Children's Crusade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Great take, and I just want to hone in on the "den mother" thing and say that I find it endearing as heck, as the X-Men is a found family (with subgroups, sure, but a major sense of community) and I love that Jean is the "mom friend". The fact she can back it up with her powers and be the lady you do not mess with makes it even better. I really hope we see her really engaging with the school/students at some point down the line.

I've binged through loads of older X-comics though, so I appreciate that if it was monthly and hand-in-hand with her being frequently diminished as a threat, I could totally see how it gets annoying, but Red as a culmination of that really works for me. She's basically trying to grab the world by the ear and talk some sense into it, which is just what's needed, frankly.
    I agree with you. I think calling her "den mother" as a disparaging term was misogynistic, but in the 90s you openly had misogyny among comic fans and in the industry.

Ultimate Member

Though Red really only works if she stays away from the other X-characters most of the time and does her own thing where she can control pretty much everything...as for the den mother, it by itself is neither good nor bad, it all depends on how it is written really...good that Jean is getting a push but I'll like it more when she's back with the X-Men at large...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I know these questions have been asked before, but since we have a bunch of new and returning Jean fans:
    *Which artist(s) draws your favorite version of Jean?
    *Which artists that have yet to tackle an X-Men run featuring Jean would you like to see draw her?
    1. Jim Lee & Phil Jimenez are probably the best 'classic' artists in my opinion, and the small glimpse we've seen of Oliver Coipel's Jean (as you've kindly attached in your post) is freaking stunning too. Carmen Carnero is taking over in X-Men Red so I look forward to seeing more of her Jean as I'm a fan of her work in other titles.

2. Russell Dauterman, Pepe Larraz or David Marquez on an ongoing X-Men title would be a dream come true. I'm certain their Jean Grey would be flawless, and I love their work as a whole. The art for Mighty Thor (Dauterman), No Surrender (Larraz) and Defenders (Marquez) was some of the highest-quality I've seen in some time.

Sadly, Oliver Coipel & Jim Cheung aren't doing art for any Marvel ongoings right now, as they're attached to DC titles. Loving their work there, though I'm sad we don't get them drawing the X-Men. Same goes for Clay Mann.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kind of linked to above, what are your favourite covers Jean has been on, since Xmen 1 way way way back!? And if you have scans of them let us see them too!

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    art by Leandro Matos
    Great piece. Can't wait to see how that looks colored. Love seeing Jean front and center, as well.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Great piece. Can't wait to see how that looks colored. Love seeing Jean front and center, as well.
    Leo Matos doesn't color those kind of commission. And this piece is currently on sale on EBay (as usual juan678 is posting arts that don't belong to him without asking the artist or the owner. This is just hurting the sale for the artist)

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Leo Matos doesn't color those kind of commission. And this piece is currently on sale on EBay (as usual juan678 is posting arts that don't belong to him without asking the artist or the owner. This is just hurting the sale for the artist)
    I post Because is in Deviant no Ebay; I Post Deviant

My Source Post https://www.deviantart.com/art/X-Men-Blue-749941804

also in Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BkIVplmg...by=leomatosart
    Last edited by juan678; 06-18-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I post Because is in Deviant no Ebay; I Post Deviant

My Source Post https://www.deviantart.com/art/X-Men-Blue-749941804

also in Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BkIVplmg...by=leomatosart
    Doesn't change the fact that it's a piece that the artist made to sell on EBay. The artist his showing his work on his own site to advertise what he does. He didn't gave you the autorisation to repost it and you have no idee if the (future) owner of the piece is ok with it or not. As I said, you are just hurting the artist sale because there is people who want to buy something "unique" and that won't buy if it's already posted everywhere. (That's kinda different if it's a piece that was published: in that case, the most popular, the higher the collector value)

Maybe, especially if it’s part of Extermination.
    First X-Lady