Page 1874 of 1884 FirstFirst ... 8741374177418241864187018711872187318741875187618771878 ... LastLast
Results 28,096 to 28,110 of 28258

What's worse is Rachel's reaction. Or lack of one. It's like Jean corrected her on grammar or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
    This really got on my nerves.
    This is one of those times where I wish I could actually HEAR the characters instead of only reading them. I have no idea what tone they're going for.

And Rachel started it off with: Well "Mom"?

So the use of quotations made it read strange from the get go.

That was... weird? Since when do they not treat each other as mother and daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
    This really got on my nerves.
    The same goes for me .

Not that Jean really feels comfortable being called that way by Rachel this was made obvious by several interactions in the past but before she died and recently returning from death the two got closer and made even jokes about it as we saw in Gold at the wedding so seeing Jean correcting Rachel that way does not make sense and is kind of sad.

And let's not forget that Jean created a telepathic bond with Rachel and Jean now thinks Rachel as a family in Red annual so she should have felt Mesmero and that there was something wrong with Rachel.

I'm honestly glad that Guggenheim is leaving.
    Last edited by Knives; 08-01-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    That was... weird? Since when do they not treat each other as mother and daughter?
    since forever. They've never had a mother/daughter relationship. With that said, I thought it was kind of bitchy the way Jean corrected her. She could have just let Rachel have her moment

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    which is ironic bc when when she was a teenager she rebelled against it and had a new costume every other issue. Who would have thought the most fashion creative X-man would have such generic and boring looks as an adult?
    I think you meant to quote me, but yeah. Someone needs to bring that creative side back. Even though her fashion sense was sometimes very questionable, it was a quirk of hers that I could appreciate. I liked one of her later Excalibur costumes. It was a basic black catsuit with a black mask that covered her eyes. It may have been a bit too simple, but it was better than anything she had worn in a long time. I even liked the X-treme black leather she wore while bartending in college.

As for the Jean/Rachel scene, it sounds a little weird. I don't have the issue so I can't really contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The time displaced X-Men have had four costumes. Since Scott and Jean were in different books when they had the third costume set, do you mean the mostly white second one?
    No. Actually Jeen is wearing her EXM costume while Tyke is wearing his ANXM vol. 2 costume. I did some research (I just went to Marvel wiki lol). Jeen and Tyke have (and more Marvel characters) an appearance in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl beats up the Marvel Universe. I remember the art being bad, and I remember Squirrel Girl attacking them, so it must be from that OGN. I tried to google that image again, but no avail. But I'm sure it's from there.

I don't think Guggs likes or understands Jean very much. That line was just unecessary. And also there's no reason why Rachel would say "mom" on quote marks, like she didn't actually mean it. She never really saw this Jean differently from her mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think Guggs likes or understands Jean very much. That line was just unecessary. And also there's no reason why Rachel would say "mom" on quote marks, like she didn't actually mean it. She never really saw this Jean differently from her mom.
    That was Jeans issue with Rachel in X-Factor. As polite as she was after the Annual freakout she wasn't her mother anymore then the Red Queen is

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    This is one of those times where I wish I could actually HEAR the characters instead of only reading them. I have no idea what tone they're going for.

And Rachel started it off with: Well "Mom"?

So the use of quotations made it read strange from the get go.
    Typically when I see quotations in comics it denotes a bit of sarcasm - Rachel probably feels like she is being treated like a kid as it is, and is handling it about as well as most young adults do when they feel that way. Poorly.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I think that either Guggenheim didnt know/care about the Red Annual when he had this scene in mind. I blame him and the editors for this and all the mischaracterizations that have happened in the X-books since the relaunch of Gold and Blue, and moreso with Red launching (as in Storm, Kurt, and Rachel all being written better in Red than in their own book). I haven't read the issue but I saw that scene and it's cringe-worthy for so many reasons. I would expect a remark like that from Jean back in her X-Factor days, not now. And this constant regressive "Mom" and "Dad" thing from Rachel is tiresome writing as she has evolved past that multiple times, but lazy writers go back to it cuz they are unoriginal and lazy.

Fantastic Member

Well she said the truth, 616 Jean is not her mother. They can be close yes, as close as a mother-daughter? maybe. But i don't really expect a true mother-daughter type relationship, since there is no true mother-daughter bond. Secondly, Jean did not raise Rachel so attachment might be akin to a close friend or a relative.

Quote Originally Posted by mike7171 View Post
    Well she said the truth, 616 Jean is not her mother. They can be close yes, as close as a mother-daughter? maybe. But i don't really expect a true mother-daughter type relationship, since there is no true mother-daughter bond. Secondly, Jean did not raise Rachel so attachment might be akin to a close friend or a relative.
    While I don't think Jean really sees Rachel as her daughter, I don't think she would still be bothered enough to correct her when she calls her mom.

Fantastic Member

While I don't think Jean really sees Rachel as her daughter, I don't think she would still be bothered enough to correct her when she calls her mom.
    that goes both ways. Rachel should not be bothered to be told she's not her mom. Like a casual banter with no emotional weight to it.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

It's Gold. What do you all expect?

Jean and Rachel might not be particularly close, but I don't expect their exchanges to be presented like that. I believe Rachel called Jean Mom in the 90s, when Jean told Rachel about her plans to propose to Scott, and she didn't seem too bothered by it. This is just back tracking.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 08-01-2018 at 11:22 AM.