Page 276 of 1884 FirstFirst ... 1762262662722732742752762772782792802863263767761276 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 28258
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I agree. And right now I don't read either of those. However personally I want them to go because I'm not a fan of multiple versions of the same characters. If they want to use them I say use the adult versions. Also ID rather have jean back. Thier excuse about her baggage is dumb. I'm fine with the baggage.
    I want adult Jean back eventually too but I'm fine with Jeen for now...the timelost angle is fun to play up for a while and, yeah, it shouldn't need to go on so long but, with Bendis' slow pacing, there wouldn't be much of a story otherwise...All New has mostly been a fun book and the Cyclops series is great.

I miss the preview pages coming out the Thursday before each book seems like the past few issues the preview doesn't come out until right before the issue.

Then again maybe it's a good thing- I can't stop myself from reading the previews but then I kinda hate myself for not holding out til the whole comic is released.

Previews are usually only the first two pages so it doesn't really spoil much. Interestingly, there've been articles floating around lately how a good percentage of the audience actually enjoys being spoiled ahead of time. I'm definitely not one of those but find the mindset interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Previews are usually only the first two pages so it doesn't really spoil much. Interestingly, there've been articles floating around lately how a good percentage of the audience actually enjoys being spoiled ahead of time. I'm definitely not one of those but find the mindset interesting.
    I'm with you.

I love delaying the gratification of a good story. I really can't relate to the mindset of wanting to know things ahead of time.

Just wondering, what are the general thoughts of a possible reboot after Secret Wars?

Marvel seems to be going that direction with every book leading to Secret Wars. Could also explain why Bendis was pretty much given free reign over the X-men's history. Also would go in line with his thoughts of the 05 not simply going back in time and forgetting about everything, as he has said that that wouldn't happen.

It's been over 11 years since Jean died, and while she is back into publication in some form. Would you still like for Jeen to continue on? for a new rebooted Jean to show up?

I'm not fond of the idea of the reboot. But sadly Marvel doesn't seem to care much about the X-men with them not having the movie rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'm with you.

I love delaying the gratification of a good story. I really can't relate to the mindset of wanting to know things ahead of time.
    Personally I prefer previews that fall more into the 'wet the appetite' range than the spoiler range. That said, I'm not in the camp of spoilers ruining things either. If I buy a movie or a book it's something I plan on watching or reading more than once, and any time after the first it's already been spoiled.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    Just wondering, what are the general thoughts of a possible reboot after Secret Wars?

Marvel seems to be going that direction with every book leading to Secret Wars. Could also explain why Bendis was pretty much given free reign over the X-men's history. Also would go in line with his thoughts of the 05 not simply going back in time and forgetting about everything, as he has said that that wouldn't happen.

It's been over 11 years since Jean died, and while she is back into publication in some form. Would you still like for Jeen to continue on? for a new rebooted Jean to show up?

I'm not fond of the idea of the reboot. But sadly Marvel doesn't seem to care much about the X-men with them not having the movie rights.
    That depend what you call a "reboot". Imho, it looks like they will cancel a bunch of universe (from the incursions) and make a new universe based on 616 but discarding what they don't want to keep and integrating what they want from the others, destroyed, universes.

I would like an adult Jean. But I don't mind that Bendis continues what he is doing and that Jeen becomes this adult Jean. The only problem I have is that, contrary to what Bendis says, Jeen is not the real Jean : Yes, physically it's the same person. But a person is made from the sum of the experiences he/she lived through during his/her life. Jeen may end-up, one day, doing most of the things that Jean did. Or similar things. But until then, she is just someone that has the potential of doing those things. Jeen can't really take credit for what Jean did because she hasn't done those things yet and may never do them. The need to prove herself before we can consider that she is the respected, beloved Jean we know. It doesn't have to be by having the same history has Jean. Jeen can have new experiences, new adventures, that will lead to someone who is similar to adult Jean to the exception of whatever changes the author want. But it is hard to "sell" that to readers in just a few months/years when adult Jean easly has more than 20 years of publication history.

Sure, stuff like Beast showing his memories of Jean to her help a little. But not much more than if Jeen had read her biography. She still hasn't done any of those things. Hasn't lived through any of those experiences. Naturaly, Bendis may invent some kind of gimmick to "reconnect" Jeen to what adult Jean did in her life and so "transform" Jeen into Jean faster. For exemple, something like the "holempathic matrix crystal", that contains part of the "essence" of the person, would be a way of making Jeen more like her adult-self rapidly. When you start to throw around stuff like the Black Vortex, the Phoenix, universes that collide/merge, reality/time that is being altered, you get plenty of excuses/pretext to make Jeen becomes someone very like adult Jean if that's what the author want. It's not like comics are logical or realistic : All that the author need is something that faintly looks like an explanation/justification so that readers may shallow it. (It's always better than explaining things by magic. Even if that is regularly used)

I'm a very young/new comic book reader so i am not against a reboot.

I don't know how to put this gingerly but I find it odd how some 30, 40, 50+ year olds are against a reboot. I mean we are talking about comic books, not some über-deep medium of storytelling. It seems like eventually they need a reboot to bring In new fans. Otherwise comic books will just die off with the older people who read them as kids.

Some people do not understand how completely inaccessible comic books, especially XMEN, are to new readers. I played all the video games, watched all the cartoons and movies, and when I tried to read Xmen several times, it was a complete turn off. Walking into a comic store for the first time, I had no idea why certain characters were not what they appeared to be in the 90s cartoons.

Thankfully all new xMen was an excellent Way for me to start reading xmen comics without having to do a massive amount of research.

And the typical response to this type of opinion is "Google or Wikipedia all the background stories." If you truly think that someone should have to do research just to get started on a new hobby, well, comic books will die with the generation who grew up with them.

And I enjoy teen Jean a lot but also miss adult Jean. I don't want both of them around, so Im satisfied with the teen version.

So in sum, while I'm not particularly for a reboot, Im not against it either. I think some people who are so dead set on change need to let go of the childhood nostalgia and realize comic books aren't supposed to grow up with you. I mean, I'm an adult and I read comic books too, but my expectations are set at the teenage level for the medium...

BANNED

I don't know how to put this gingerly but I find it odd how some 30, 40, 50+ year olds are against a reboot. I mean we are talking about comic books, not some über-deep medium of storytelling. It seems like eventually they need a reboot to bring In new fans. Otherwise comic books will just die off with the older people who read them as kids.
    Reboots wouldn't be necessary (IMHO) if characters were born, raised by their parents (or surrogates), and died (by whatever means necessary) as opposed to being introduced whole cloth and costumed one day, and then fully adept at using their powers three days later (comic book time), as they are today.

Some people do not understand how completely inaccessible comic books, especially XMEN, are to new readers. I played all the video games, watched all the cartoons and movies, and when I tried to read Xmen several times, it was a complete turn off. Walking into a comic store for the first time, I had no idea why certain characters were not what they appeared to be in the 90s cartoons.
    That's exactly how I felt the first time I walked into a comic shop... I wanted to learn everything I could about the characters that interested me. Fortunately, back then there was a lucrative market for back issues and I was (within a reasonable amount of time) able to complete in sequence, entire title runs which included any crossovers, one-shots, limited series, etc... To some of us continuity (canon) is everything and more often than not we challenge today's canon because today's creators don't bother to do their homework when writing characters who's histories date back to the 60's - 70's.

Thankfully all new xMen was an excellent Way for me to start reading xmen comics without having to do a massive amount of research.
    And the typical response to this type of opinion is "Google or Wikipedia all the background stories." If you truly think that someone should have to do research just to get started on a new hobby, well, comic books will die with the generation who grew up with them.
    And I enjoy teen Jean a lot but also miss adult Jean. I don't want both of them around, so Im satisfied with the teen version.

So in sum, while I'm not particularly for a reboot, Im not against it either. I think some people who are so dead set on change need to let go of the childhood nostalgia and realize comic books aren't supposed to grow up with you. I mean, I'm an adult and I read comic books too, but my expectations are set at the teenage level for the medium...
    So basically, your o'k with rehashing to same story plots Ad nauseam with characters who neither age nor die? Or, comfortable with adults well over 21 having sexual trysts with teenage minors (Warren/Paige), and underage teenage pregnancy (Angel/Beak)? Fair enough... But, for you to say that "comic books aren't supposed to grow up with you." is more opinion than fact otherwise why sequentially number the issues? I'm just saying
    Last edited by ZNOP; 11-08-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Typo correction(s).

Ultimate Member

I'd like for grown up adult Jean to come back, spurn Cyclops and his revolution, and bring Logan with her...then let the two finally be together and start a real counterpunch to Scott's side that isn't overdone to make Scott look better.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Well I disagree with this respectivly.

IMO

I don't want a reboot. There would be no point. I like comic history and don't mind research on something that interested me.

example Feudal Japan I liked Ninjas and samurai. Researched the facts and history and liked it even more.

on comics, saying you were turned off by the comics cause they didn't match what, you watched in cartoons and Movies? Of course not cause, comics came first. Take x-men for example, no one watching the movies who know nothing of the comics will be satisfied if they think thr comics will look like th e movie.

For me it was other media that got me, into X-men. X-MEN the animated series from the 90's. Aftet watching that I picked up a comic from a grocery store spinner rack. The one I picked up happened to be wolverine, I thought hey I liked him in the, show. So i bought wolverine #94. The difference between comic and tv was appearent. Logan was regressing to as comic fans call it "dog boy" lol he also had bone claws at that time. So it wasn't the same. So i went online and researched wolverine and, x-men. Found really cool stuff for it and got even more x-men comics of the time I and I'm still collecting today.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Well I disagree with this respectivly.

IMO

I don't want a reboot. There would be no point. I like comic history and don't mind research on something that interested me.

example Feudal Japan I liked Ninjas and samurai. Researched the facts and history and liked it even more.

on comics, saying you were turned off by the comics cause they didn't match what, you watched in cartoons and Movies? Of course not cause, comics came first. Take x-men for example, no one watching the movies who know nothing of the comics will be satisfied if they think thr comics will look like th e movie.

For me it was other media that got me, into X-men. X-MEN the animated series from the 90's. Aftet watching that I picked up a comic from a grocery store spinner rack. The one I picked up happened to be wolverine, I thought hey I liked him in the, show. So i bought wolverine #94. The difference between comic and tv was appearent. Logan was regressing to as comic fans call it "dog boy" lol he also had bone claws at that time. So it wasn't the same. So i went online and researched wolverine and, x-men. Found really cool stuff for it and got even more x-men comics of the time I and I'm still collecting today.
    For it depends on what they do with the reboot. If they use it to deal with the dueling retcons then I doubt I will mind to much.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Reboots are necessary from time to time simply because with a company owned title it really doesn't make sense to restrict new writers with decades of continuity that they had no hand in creating and no interest in following up on. And because the notable stories aren't being erased from public memory the interesting elements will make their way back to the forefront in some way or another, it's just the mounds of irrelevant and incoherent junk that have built up that can be nicely cleared away. The key as with all things is to not abuse this trick too often, trying to wipe the slate clean every year or something like that is obviously going to leave you much worse off than from whence you started.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Reboots are necessary from time to time simply because with a company owned title it really doesn't make sense to restrict new writers with decades of continuity that they had no hand in creating and no interest in following up on. And because the notable stories aren't being erased from public memory the interesting elements will make their way back to the forefront in some way or another, it's just the mounds of irrelevant and incoherent junk that have built up that can be nicely cleared away. The key as with all things is to not abuse this trick too often, trying to wipe the slate clean every year or something like that is obviously going to leave you much worse off than from whence you started.
    Then, said "new writers" should be prepared to bring to the table new characters with complete backgrounds. New writers don't necessarily have to lay it on us all at once, but at the very least they should do a little bit of work and have a script to work from and not make it up as they go along... It reminds me of how they threw Sentry out there and completely ignored just how powerful Owen Reese actually was just so the blond nut-case could look good... And, please don't get me started on his sexcapades with Rogue that NOBODY knew about!
    Last edited by ZNOP; 11-08-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Typo correction(s).

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Reboots are necessary from time to time simply because with a company owned title it really doesn't make sense to restrict new writers with decades of continuity that they had no hand in creating and no interest in following up on.
    In fact, its the reverse : it's because new authors don't care about what came before that a reboot is needed to clean things up and make sense.
    There is company owned franchises that are very fine without needing reboot. But new authors _have_ to play by the rules and take into account what came before. The whole franchises are supervised by people (sometime the person who created the franchise) who will keep authors in check and prevent them from disregarding what was already established.

Sure, it's restricting. But it also more challenging for authors. Whatever in music, litterature or other kind of art forms, there is often arbitrary rules that need to be followed. Those rules are not to be taken as something that limit the authors but as a challenge that push creativity and make things more interesting. For example, in classical litterature, there is the rules of "unity of action", "unity of place" and "unity of time".

It also offers more opportunities because authors can allude to anything that is "canon" without having to re-explain everything. It provides a frame of references.