Page 53 of 1884 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657631031535531053 ... LastLast

ANX's sales is a trifecta. Bendis, for all his reputation around the boards, is a popular writer. Immonen's art is near unparalleled in the superhero genre. And having teen Jean as the headliner is the final pillar. Her presence is a boon to the fans who have missed any incarnation of her and a fascinating circus to everybody else. It's not an uncommon sentiment around here that many people who aren't especially Jean Grey fans to begin with find Bendis' take more interesting than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that, it's not as if only bad people ever get to do anything cool or interesting.
    And furthermore, the running gag is that anytime Jean gets any power she PMS's out and the universe suffers. She's trapped in two narrative boxes at the moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    And furthermore, the running gag is that anytime Jean gets any power she PMS's out and the universe suffers. She's trapped in two narrative boxes at the moment.
    It's sad that a character who is all about ignoring limits spends so much of her time being boxed in by editorial. Just let it go, Marvel, don't hold her back anymore....

ANX's sales is a trifecta. Bendis, for all his reputation around the boards, is a popular writer. Immonen's art is near unparalleled in the superhero genre. And having teen Jean as the headliner is the final pillar. Her presence is a boon to the fans who have missed any incarnation of her and a fascinating circus to everybody else. It's not an uncommon sentiment around here that many people who aren't especially Jean Grey fans to begin with find Bendis' take more interesting than ever before.

Well, if the internet is to believed, all new x-men sells so well thanks to the "just here for godzilla" syndrome, or in this case, for jean.
    And what means PMS ?.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, if the internet is to believed, all new x-men sells so well thanks to the "just here for godzilla" syndrome, or in this case, for jean.
    Admittedly, it's the only reason I'm here. I have had a slowly rising realization these past few months that I may not like the X-Men as a whole as much as I thought I did.

And what means PMS ?.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pms

Beware googling it, unless you want to get lost in bad memes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'm in such a pickle.

As a huge jean grey fan, the more she shows up and has a major role in ANXM, the happier I am.

On the other hand, my boyfriend who is a huge Emma frost fan and a huge jean grey hater, is getting more and more bitter about the simultaneous dwindling role that Emma has and the growing role jean has in the bendis x-books.

Today, at least, was one of the first issues of ANXM that we both enjoyed, since Emma and jean (kind of) worked together.

But aside from today's issue, it's been virtually impossible for both me and my significant other to enjoy the comics together, lol.
    You can tell him he shouldn't be bitter because he's had 10 years with Jean dead and Scott/Emma in the limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    Yes, I do. It might actually sell better actually.
    IMO, it would be an interesting exercise from a "comics = Marvel R&D" perspective if they had made Bendis/Immonen write the JGS book instead of ANXM. As ariw1 said, Bendis sells. He put the Avengers on the map in comics. With 1 or 2 exceptions, he outsold Whedon's AXM every month during his New Avengers run. It's why the Avengers franchise has been the lion's share of Marvel's publishing arm in the past 10 years, most of them from events rather than ongoings if their annual investor reports are to be believed. Bendis also gave Marvel one of the biggest breakout stars in comics in recent years - Miles Morales who is highly likely to make it into the movies. Marvel probably gave him the X-Men hoping he could find more lighting in a bottle for another franchise. If Bendis was handling both sides of the Schism in the aftermath of AvX to tell a more coherent story for the franchise, would the X-Men as a whole sell more? And which side would appeal more to readers?

Looks like we may get more details about why jean (and possibly others) joined the brotherhood:

image.jpg

I'm sure it's more details on the mind control thing, but who knows.

Bendis said he was outvoted on some things in BOTA that he can now rectify. I have a feeling he didn't want jean to be a villain in BOTA and will thus chalk it up to some sort of mind control or coercion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jollygoldfish View Post
    You can tell him he shouldn't be bitter because he's had 10 years with Jean dead and Scott/Emma in the limelight.

IMO, it would be an interesting exercise from a "comics = Marvel R&D" perspective if they had made Bendis/Immonen write the JGS book instead of ANXM. As ariw1 said, Bendis sells. He put the Avengers on the map in comics. With 1 or 2 exceptions, he outsold Whedon's AXM every month during his New Avengers run. It's why the Avengers franchise has been the lion's share of Marvel's publishing arm in the past 10 years, most of them from events rather than ongoings if their annual investor reports are to be believed. Bendis also gave Marvel one of the biggest breakout stars in comics in recent years - Miles Morales who is highly likely to make it into the movies. Marvel probably gave him the X-Men hoping he could find more lighting in a bottle for another franchise. If Bendis was handling both sides of the Schism in the aftermath of AvX to tell a more coherent story for the franchise, would the X-Men as a whole sell more? And which side would appeal more to readers?
    I don't think he would have written them. When he came to X-men it was because of his pitch and who he wanted to use. The other team of WAXmen are the ones he did not want to use. Personally if the others were the ones he used it would be the same story, just the captions coming out of a different mouth. In general, besides the O5 and Magik, his dialogue for the other individual characters is the most generic I have read.

BANNED

This is Ross? Did he paint over someone else's pencils?
    I know the X are his least favorite character group (and this is better than I could ever do) but it does not seem up to his standards of excellence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    This is Ross? Did he paint over someone else's pencils?
    I know the X are his least favorite character group (and this is better than I could ever do) but it does not seem up to his standards of excellence.
    Ross relies pretty heavily on photo referencing to produce his pieces, and so the quality is always going to depend on that of the source image. Looks like he just didn't have much to go off of for that one.

Question: Why did Emma punch out Jeen last ANXM issue? I was hoping to see that addressed in the current issue... but no luck.

This new piece of Alex Ross art has nothing on this recent beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Question: Why did Emma punch out Jeen last ANXM issue? I was hoping to see that addressed in the current issue... but no luck.

This new piece of Alex Ross art has nothing on this recent beauty.
    I think that in part was because Emma really wanted to do that and in part to protect her, because if she is unconscious they cant control her; besides, she probably she couldnt think of a better way to send her to astral plane.

I think that in part was because Emma really wanted to do that and in part to protect her, because if she is unconscious they cant control her; besides, she probably she couldnt think of a better way to send her to astral plane.
    I just don't see how being UNconscious provides any kind of defence against mind control

Well I guess if she's not physically awake than Xavier can't make her do anything. Emma may have had a flash of inspiration if that actually worked. Xavier's controlling just one Cuckoo and she's torturing everyone to the point of incapacitation. If he managed to get ahold of Jean who knows what he could of done.

Fantastic Member

I'm sure it's more details on the mind control thing, but who knows.

Bendis said he was outvoted on some things in BOTA that he can now rectify. I have a feeling he didn't want jean to be a villain in BOTA and will thus chalk it up to some sort of mind control or coercion.
    I kind of hope Jean chose villainy. Hopefully it was for a compelling reason that she chose not to disclose to the people she was working against in BOTA but I liked seeing that side of Jean, such cold, implacable villainy. I liked that it showed that as a villainess she's very different from The Goblin Queen and White Queen and Selene.

I got the impression she became a villain because she believed in the Brotherhood's cause, now how she was convinced of such would be interesting to see but she was very crafty but very Zealot like. And she had a REAL mean streak, taunting Magik about how she'll one day kill herself.

IF Bendis leaves the X-Corner of the MU I hope he goes back to the Avengers (though I like what's happening there at present) and he takes Teen!Jean with him. I'd like to see her interact with characters outside the X-Corner.