Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Azrael seemed to do just fine.
    There probably was a lot of food faith because of how good knightfall part 1 was. And i remember it being mentioned there was a lot of complaining and that sales went down constantly at the time.

Extraordinary Member

Azrael seemed to do just fine.
    That was also the first time they had a replacement Batman, but we had it allready two times fairly recently, with with Dick and than with Gordon.

Back then Azrael was also kind of a choise that made sense in universe, since Dick was basically the only alternative, and Azrael was at least overall on a similar level than Dick.

At the moment there are plenty of Batfamily and Batman Inc. Members and most of them are more experienced than Duke. If the really wanted to do Black Batman there are characters (like Luke Fox) that would make more sense in universe. Making Duke Batman now is like if they made Tim Batman in Knightfall.

I'd either send him to Metropolis so Batman has an agent on the ground there, also gives interesting tension between Clark and Bruce. Is Batman being nice and lending a hand ? Or is he extending what he considers 'his city'.

Alternatively I'd have Signal be the Gotham team player Batman isnt. So he regularly teams up with and/or occasionally leads a team of the non Bat Gotham heroes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    That was also the first time they had a replacement Batman, but we had it allready two times fairly recently, with with Dick and than with Gordon.

Back then Azrael was also kind of a choise that made sense in universe, since Dick was basically the only alternative, and Azrael was at least overall on a similar level than Dick.

At the moment there are plenty of Batfamily and Batman Inc. Members and most of them are more experienced than Duke. If the really wanted to do Black Batman there are characters (like Luke Fox) that would make more sense in universe. Making Duke Batman now is like if they made Tim Batman in Knightfall.
    What I forgot, Azrael was actually able to beat Bane in a fight, if Dick had tired to go up against Bane, I don't think he would have had much of a chance.

I never once considered duke's experience when I heard he could be Batman. I worried that haters might use this as more reasons to dislike him. I don't care about his experience and I'm confident there are others like me.

The point is duke has known Bruce longer than anyone in the family aside from Alfred so can see him
    taking over because he is trusted and no one else can do it right now.

All it takes is a good story and people to give it a chance.

And you are wrong at the moment there is no one. Dick is Ric, Bruce has fallen out with Damian and Jason, Tim is in experienced and Bruce barely knows him.

That's it. The possibility of King tagging anyone from Tec for the role is unlikely. Right now Duke is the only one that is available in story and the aside from The 3 sons I already ruled out the only Bat character that the current writers seem to care to/like to use.

Az took over people were more concerned about the fact that Bruce was crazy to trust an unknown I don't recall the issue of his skills coming in to the discussion.

What I forgot, Azrael was actually able to beat Bane in a fight, if Dick had tired to go up against Bane, I don't think he would have had much of a chance.
    You don't know what would have happened because you are not the writer dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    There probably was a lot of food faith because of how good knightfall part 1 was. And i remember it being mentioned there was a lot of complaining and that sales went down constantly at the time.
    people will always complain they did the same when Dick became batman. Sales are going down now.The point is it wasn't a disaster and it still made money. It is a story lots cherish. It could be the same for Duke. If GG is a badie and is Duke's lover then it makes narrative sense with this Bane manipulation plot line. He managed to get control Bruce and selina no reason he can't mind control Duke as well.

Extraordinary Member

The point is duke has known Bruce longer than anyone in the family aside from Alfred so can see him
    taking over because he is trusted and no one else can do it right now.
    But Duke basically still in training.

All it takes is a good story and people to give it a chance.
    Maybe, but he is still a wired choise.

And you are wrong at the moment there is no one. Dick is Ric, Bruce has fallen out with Damian and Jason, Tim is in experienced and Bruce barely knows him.
    Jason and Bruce seem to be allready at a better terms again. And Tim seems to have most of his pre flashpoint history back, at least in broad strokes, so he is definitely more experienced and has a close relation ship with Bruce than Duke.

And there are still a lot other characters like Batwoman, Batwing, Batgirl or maybe even Azrael or Man-Bat that could take over.

From where do those conspiracy theories about Duke taking over as Batman come from ?

Honestly, they mostly sounds like stuff Duke haters push to try and destroy his chances to appear somewhere even more.

King has basically never used Duke in any meaningful way in his run. Never. Even Dick had more importance than Duke when he was fridged.

I don't say that King can't says "The Signal is now Batman" but I don't want it.

For starter, because I think that the more King write about the Bat-related characters, the less likeable they are and I can't wait to see him gone from a franchise he seemed to perfectly understand at first to only demonstrate that he didn't at all since at least 20 issues now.

And then because King would kill any hope of a future for Duke, and I don't want it.

If he want to lay waste to another Bat-character, I would like him to refrain.

But Duke basically still in training.

Maybe, but he is still a wired choise.

Jason and Bruce seem to be allready at a better terms again. And Tim seems to have most of his pre flashpoint history back, at least in broad strokes, so he is definitely more experienced and has a close relation ship with Bruce than Duke.

And there are still a lot other characters like Batwoman, Batwing, Batgirl or maybe even Azrael or Man-Bat that could take over.
    Nothing in the batman books indicate that they are on good terms. Even if they were on the best of terms I don't see Bruce ever passing the mantle to jason especially not under King. he isn't an option.

Again do you see King writing any of them suddenly becoming batman? You have to consider whose story it is not just who in the universe is qualified. In King's Batman those character might as well not exist.

Tim doesn't have most of his history back. All he has is some of his origin back.
    He can't be. he is 16. Has been a vigilante for 3 years and in that time hasn't been Robin since Morrison and tomasi happened so he had no one to Batman to. [tim is up in the air till we get more details.

I'll be clear I'm not saying that Duke should be Batman. I agree with Korath that it would do more damage to his character than good. I'm simply saying that it could be done and it wouldn't necessarily be a PR Nightmare for the bat books especially if it was done as part of the mind control plot. Where everyone is being controlled so it's not like Bruce purposefully passed Dick over Duke or a case a writer push how awesome a batman Duke would make.

It can be told as everyone is controlled, it's not the right decision but it gets sorted out in the end and it's a learning journey for Duke that makes him stronger and helps him understand the path Batman walks better.

It is doable.

BANNED

Having any Batman but Bruce is pretty risky, but doable. Having any Batman but one of the 4 Robins is begging for a PR disaster.
    Um, Terry, JPV and Gordon ring any bells? Dick has been the only other person to replace Batman. The other 3 Robins at best have been Batmen for a few issues and almost always in some future story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    From where do those conspiracy theories about Duke taking over as Batman come from ?

Honestly, they mostly sounds like stuff Duke haters push to try and destroy his chances to appear somewhere even more.

King has basically never used Duke in any meaningful way in his run. Never. Even Dick had more importance than Duke when he was fridged.

I don't say that King can't says "The Signal is now Batman" but I don't want it.

For starter, because I think that the more King write about the Bat-related characters, the less likeable they are and I can't wait to see him gone from a franchise he seemed to perfectly understand at first to only demonstrate that he didn't at all since at least 20 issues now.

And then because King would kill any hope of a future for Duke, and I don't want it.

If he want to lay waste to another Bat-character, I would like him to refrain.
    Blame it on Snyder and King, when Harper first debuted as Blue Bird she was essentially wearing a Nightwing suit with a jacket added on. Many fans suspected that she was intended to be the new Nightwing because Dick was a super spy then and her push also coincided with Damian being gone. Then some years later(when Rebirth started) Snyder comes out and says that he and DC did consider making her Nightwing and Robin.
    Then Duke randomly gets pushed as Robin, when that direction failed, they gave him a Bat suit but withheld his super name and started pushing him as better than Robin or something and then they teased him marrying Gotham Girl while also teasing Batman's death, the signs were all there. Just a few months ago King came out and said that he did want some young Black guy to replace Bruce when he started his run.

BANNED

You don't know what would have happened because you are not the writer dude.
    What king of argument is that?

What king of argument is that?
    That a writer decides Dick's power level. So Az being able to beat Bane isn't a deciding factor since the writer can write what they want. Wondergirl can be written to beat Despero. She shouldn't and wouldn't normally but it happened.
    Last edited by Fergus; 02-07-2019 at 12:00 PM.

BANNED

Why shouldn't Duke be Batman for awhile?