Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    That a writer decides Dick's power level. So Az being able to beat Bane isn't a deciding factor since the writer can write what they want.
    It just seems very unlikely that they had done something like that in Knightfall.

And the idea behind Knightfall was anyway, to have a darker more "extreeem" Batman, so Dick didn't really fit this idea.
    Last edited by Aahz; 02-08-2019 at 02:04 AM.

I've been watching True Detective so I'd probably have Tim and Duke team up for a case.

BANNED

That a writer decides Dick's power level. So Az being able to beat Bane isn't a deciding factor since the writer can write what they want. Wondergirl can be written to beat Despero. She shouldn't and wouldn't normally but it happened.
    Yeah, its still not an argument, just a fairly obvious observation thats neither here nor there.
    Azrael can beat Bane tho, he was the all new stronger version of Batman, that was the whole point of his introduction and run. He didnt need a Robin, he could terrorize gothams night. Of course it all turned into a subversion.

In fact i like the idea of Az being this unstoppable, emotionally unstable crime fighting machine. That failed for that very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Why shouldn't Duke be Batman for awhile?
    Because if he was the writing would be garbo if he didnt get killed 15 minutes into his crimefighting career.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Yeah, its still not an argument, just a fairly obvious observation thats neither here nor there.
    Azrael can beat Bane tho, he was the all new stronger version of Batman, that was the whole point of his introduction and run. He didnt need a Robin, he could terrorize gothams night. Of course it all turned into a subversion..
    Yes it is. A writer will craft the story as they like. Bane isn't trying to break Batman so he can replace him with a stronger version pulled from his allies. That is not the point. King is writing a Batman who is so far isolated from everyone aside from Duke [counting only the characters King has acknowledged as allies of batman] so if his plan is indeed to make Duke Batman then it'll be a move bound out of necessity and he will have creative license to write whatever he want's.
    If he so desires he can have Duke be as competent and powerful as........

Selina beat the flashes. He can write whatever he wants so power levels are whatever they state.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I've been watching True Detective so I'd probably have Tim and Duke team up for a case.
    Shame we haven't gotten to see Duke use his meta abilities a ton. From my understanding they are particularly suited to detective work right?

Shame we haven't gotten to see Duke use his meta abilities a ton. From my understanding they are particularly suited to detective work right?
    yep.

he's a walking UV light.

Indeed they are, his powers are also good for tracking too. It is a bummer we don't get to see much of his powers put to use but it's only because we haven't seen much of Duke since his powers emerged. But there's hope, Bryan Hill said we might get to see some new applications of Duke's powers whenever Outsiders finally gets released; so I'm confident we will at least see his powers put to use.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

A one-shot where Duke hangs out with his alternate older self from the White Knight miniseries.

Amazing Member

DukeVegetable.jpg

I think King weirdly putting Duke in a vegetative state in The Gift arc suggests that he doesn't like the character and isn't going to do anything important with him, despite his earlier involvement in I am Gotham.

Urgh, I had forgotten about it.

Yeah, seeing this picture and then reading about some sort of King's plan to make him Batman is even more laughable.

At that point I'm pretty sure that Gotham Girl's monologue will be revealed to be her raving in her insanity before dying or something like that.

BANNED

Selina beat the flashes. He can write whatever he wants so power levels are whatever they state.
    Thats not how it works. It is the writers job to make the events seem plausible. If they dont the illusion is lost.
    What happened with selina, with the riddler, slade, solomon, harley, etc. Its all garbage writing. It takes you out of it when the work of the writer to pull you into the story.

Even if yes, the writer can writer whatever he wants, if he pulls crap like this he is failing at his job.

Tho i guess in this forum very few posters care about the quality of the writing, they only care about how their favorite character is depicted. Which is just insanity, but such is the nature of fans i guess.

Absolutely agree that it is a writer's job to the events seems plausible. I Know it's comics but abilities should be consistent and in line what has been previously established for the character. No asspulls.
    The story should develop in a manner that is plausible and makes some sense.

Tim Drake suddenly becoming Clairvoyant

Selina beating the Flashes

Damian performing surgery at age 10.

All examples of garbage writing and yet I've seen fans trying to defend a couple of those of those points.
    Where it serves/panders to their favourite some fans will embrace and defend garbage to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    DukeVegetable.jpg

I think King weirdly putting Duke in a vegetative state in The Gift arc suggests that he doesn't like the character and isn't going to do anything important with him, despite his earlier involvement in I am Gotham.
    King had Jason fight a Dog, Said Superman was a C-List Bat Villain, Said Batman kills Babies, wrote Tim as a cubicle drone, forgot Cass and had Batman say he was made by the Joker [also had him carry a gun] While it's unlikely he'll write BatDuke I don't think he dislikes the character.

King just has a wicked sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Thats not how it works. It is the writers job to make the events seem plausible. If they dont the illusion is lost.
    What happened with selina, with the riddler, slade, solomon, harley, etc. Its all garbage writing. It takes you out of it when the work of the writer to pull you into the story.

Even if yes, the writer can writer whatever he wants, if he pulls crap like this he is failing at his job.

Tho i guess in this forum very few posters care about the quality of the writing, they only care about how their favorite character is depicted. Which is just insanity, but such is the nature of fans i guess.
    Ironically, Batman is one of the worst offenders in that regard, dude's plot armor and jobbing aura had become way too strong in the last 10 years.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Absolutely agree that it is a writer's job to the events seems plausible. I Know it's comics but abilities should be consistent and in line what has been previously established for the character. No asspulls.
    The story should develop in a manner that is plausible and makes some sense.

Tim Drake suddenly becoming Clairvoyant

Selina beating the Flashes

Damian performing surgery at age 10.

All examples of garbage writing and yet I've seen fans trying to defend a couple of those of those points.
    Where it serves/panders to their favourite some fans will embrace and defend garbage to the death.
    I mean, there are rules in comics.

Your 3 examples are actually very good to showcase this:

Passable: a 10 year old knowing what Damian does. Its just not surgery, he knows more than you can fit in the time hes been alive. BUT, its a genre convention. Its what we expect from the medium, therefore you arent instantly put off by it. Same with him or any Robin fighting a dude that weights 6 times what they weight and have training and winning. Its part of the rules set by the genre.

Barely passable: Tim Drake just knowing things is also within the genre. Its lazy, yes, but its an old trope. The detective detecting without any need for an explanation other than he is just that good. It doesnt take you out because its staple of the genre, but it is lazy.

Dumb: Selina beating the flashes, while the flash in general exists to get jobbed by people that shouldnt logically be able to hurt them, the writer usually writes them as "being distracted" "being ambushed" "them needing to already be moving for their perception of time to slow down", etc. The selina case is simply meant to portray her as fast enough to hit a target moving at lightspeed, without injuring herself. Its just so dumb on so many levels it takes you out.
    Another example of dumb: Harley being better than batman , with no real training, a few years of experience, and a background of someone whose job consists mostly of sitting.

The dumber it becomes, the harder our suspension of disbelief gets strained. When we see superman flying and using his heat vision we accept it because this is built in on the rules of the universe, we know the rules of that universe are not the same as the rules in this one. The problem is when an event in the narrative contradicts the rules of said universe, it creates a disonance and instantly takes the reader out of the work and back into our own world.