Thread: Captain America

All-New Member

Default Captain America

While I have absolutely loved The new Captain America series with Leniel Francis Yu and Coates it was with great disappointment that I found Andy Kubert taking over the artwork. As a long time DC reader I have started with other publishers such as Marvel And Dark Horse as DC's movies, fortnightly publishing and return of the briefs on Supes and Batsled me to drop several DC books.

Kubert is one of my least favourite artists in comics. I think CBR reviewed issue 1 and stated that Coates and Yu were at the top of their game. I had not come across both talents before but their work was fantastic and both complimented each other. Kubert's work does not suit Coates work in my opinion. Coates' first arc was great so I will stick with the book but, discovering Kubert was on the title disappointed me.

Is Kubert taking over from Yu? Will Yu be back?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFalcon72 View Post
    While I have absolutely loved The new Captain America series with Leniel Francis Yu and Coates it was with great disappointment that I found Andy Kubert taking over the artwork. As a long time DC reader I have started with other publishers such as Marvel And Dark Horse as DC's movies, fortnightly publishing and return of the briefs on Supes and Batsled me to drop several DC books.

Kubert is one of my least favourite artists in comics. I think CBR reviewed issue 1 and stated that Coates and Yu were at the top of their game. I had not come across both talents before but their work was fantastic and both complimented each other. Kubert's work does not suit Coates work in my opinion. Coates' first arc was great so I will stick with the book but, discovering Kubert was on the title disappointed me.

While I prefer Yu, I thought Kubert did an excellent job. And honestly, Coates' writing is so good, and I was so engrossed in the storytelling, that the change of artist wasn't glaring for me. And considering I'm very much a type-A personality who usually has a hard time reconciling differences like that on the first issue the change happens in, that's saying something.

Honestly, the Cap book is amazing right now, and that's not just my Steve Rogers bias talking. This is the most excited I've felt reading my favorite character in a good long while. Neither Spencer nor Remender accomplished this level of excitement in me, personally. The response on Twitter also reflects this, also, as it's been all overwhelmingly positive for Coates' run.

Yu has said he is finished with his work on the book, so I don't expect to see him back. While I'm disappointed and a little apprehensive about Kubert taking over, he did a very good job on issue #7. If he can keep that up, it'll be an easier blow to withstand.

For me, this book is an extension of how I felt reading Secret Empire. Completely engrossed in each panel. The only book I can say that about right now.

I'm surprised to find people dissing Kubert. I've always liked Kubert.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFalcon72 View Post

Please excuse the confusion, but is Andy Kubert back working for Marvel? Or are you guys just talking about his brother, Adam Kubert?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Please excuse the confusion, but is Andy Kubert back working for Marvel? Or are you guys just talking about his brother, Adam Kubert?
    Adam is still Marvel's boy drawing Cap and Andy is still behind enemy lines.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Adam is still Marvel's boy drawing Cap and Andy is still behind enemy lines.
    Thanks for the update. And just to clarify, I love the artwork from the entire Kubert family.