Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Detective Comics #997 discussion

I really enjoyed this issue. Compared to the previous two issues, it was a fun adventure mostly. I also though the art was the best of Manke's run so far. I don't know what's been going on with Hugo Strange to know if his appearence in this issue is out of character at this point or not.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Amazing Member

Tomasi writes Batman as way too much of a sadist for me. Not just in this, but I read Born to Kill for the first time and the revelation about Bruce Wayne and Morgan Ducard was also out of character. Also the way Batman just strolled in to Arkham Asylum and beat the crap out of his rogues gallery for "information".

Tomasi1.jpg

What is this, the Punisher?
    Last edited by TheJudge95; 01-31-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

I wasn't keen on Born to Kill but liked most of what followed in that Batman and Robin run by Tomasi/Gleason.

Astonishing Member

Hugo Strange both made too much sense and also felt like probably a red herring.

Obviously in the road to #1000, bringing in a mad scientist / monster-maker like Strange with a psychological fix on Batman himself feels appropriate historically, since Strange is one of Batman's O.G. Golden Age nemeses. But I still don't know if I believe that Strange is the culprit. But it would be easy to figure out the "how". Obviously Strange's last appearance was in this very title and was at the hands of Clayface, who was working with Batman's team. So following that story, and then the Mega-Clayface monster attack set up by the First Victim, it could stand to reason that Strange is making "Clayface Mutants" or some version of a "Clayface Monster Man" and then psychologically attacking Batman with them. Clayface stuff would certainly explain the use of Mahnke cutting loose with horror-looking imagery.

But that reads a little simple, and "the only obvious choice", which is why it feels like a red herring.

I will say that whether I like the choice or not, Hugo Strange is a strong candidate to have killed off a couple of Batman's supporting characters. Thematically, probably Leslie in particular, since he's like this twisted dark psychologist obsessed with Batman and she's like ... the psychologist always trying to keep Bruce grounded.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

Despite some minor issues, primarily the choice of villain (shapeshifter), this is the most I've enjoyed a Batman comic since Snyder.

I agree Tomasi’s Batman is kind of a sadist. I suppose that can be explained by his deteriorating mental state due to what’s going on in the main title.

I like Hugo as the antagonist and loved seeing him running around in his own Bat-costume. Not sure how Batman figured out it was him, though, or where he was. Did I just miss that?
    Cheers - CL

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    Tomasi writes Batman as way too much of a sadist for me. Not just in this, but I read Born to Kill for the first time and the revelation about Bruce Wayne and Morgan Ducard was also out of character. Also the way Batman just strolled in to Arkham Asylum and beat the crap out of his rogues gallery for "information".

Tomasi1.jpg

Man, if you think Tomasi writes Bruce as a sadist, you need to avoid King's Batman. At least Tomasi gives reasonable justifications for Bruce's violence (young man dealing with a friend betraying and almost murdering him; father dealing with a man who stalks, abducts, and tortures a 10 year old child; a man trying to find a killer who's murdered his surrogate mother and attempted to kill his surrogate father). King has Bruce torture a horse to death via overuse because he's having fun with Catwoman, nearly beat Mr Freeze to death because he was left at the alter, break KG Beast's neck and leave him to die of hypothermia, beat every single parolee and inmate of Arkham until they couldn't walk because he's upset, and decide to murder the Riddler in cold blood because of Bruce's actions resulting in a child's murder.

Tomasi's Batman is gentle by comparison, and at least admits he struggles with enjoying violence and the feeling of control it gives him.

BANNED

King's Batman also got his back broken intentionally then he broke Bane's back and taunted him. But shhh, King is writing a very complex and psychological story.

I definitely enjoy this series over the flagship series right now, and the Hugo Strange culprit (for now) works well I think.

But seriously, how many villains know Batman is Bruce? All of them at this point? I'm exaggerating of course but I'm a little but over having so many baddies call him "Bruce" while they fight.

Seems that one email to the local news could really cause an issue over some elaborate plot to kill Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post

Tomasi1.jpg

Well my guess is that you are not reading King and you have been very selective in your choice of batman since Born to kill is even a 6 on the sadist Batman scale.

I mean it's not like this is even a matter of opinion since we have the stories and pictures in print showing him doing worse

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Well my guess is that you are not reading King and you have been very selective in your choice of batman since Born to kill is even a 6 on the sadist Batman scale.

I mean it's not like this is even a matter of opinion since we have the stories and pictures in print showing him doing worse
    I read the main Batman title, and he's definitely an unstable manic depressive in that, but the violence isn't played up for badassery like it is here; like you would never have a full page of Batman with red eyes cracking his knuckles in the dark, getting ready to beat up his already-incarcerated rogues, saying "Except the only monster in here with you...is me" à la WWE "let's get ready to rumbllleee!!!" style.

So did he change cowls after he got out of the water or did that one tip just spontaneously grow back?
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    So did he change cowls after he got out of the water or did that one tip just spontaneously grow back?
    Oh crap I didn't notice that! Sloppy!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Appears he pulled it out from the sharks eye - can see him clutching it.
    That said the panel transition suggests he fixed it during the swim through the tunnel which is...odd/inconvenient.

#998 was another loud issue. Tomasi seems to alternate between really loud action scenes and on-the-nose Hallmark movie speeches. I liked this well enough, though. Bruce’s interactions with both Jason Blood and Silas Stone were well-done IMO. The twist at the end clearly will need explanation, but actually makes sense inasmuch as there are really only a couple of people who would have the knowledge necessary to assemble the list of targets.
    Cheers - CL