Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Post Crisis Changes You Liked and Didn't

There was an edict for a long time after post crisis to simplify Superman and make him unique again which I liked and while Pre-Crisis Superman was my first Superman Post Crisis Superman was the version I loved.

Changes I liked:

1: Business Lex Luthor.

2: Lois Lane becoming more of a self efficient golden age style reporter it started in the Bronze Age but solidified in the Post Crisis Era.

3: Lois and Clark finally getting off the will they won't they pot and doing it.

4: Krypton I think the more alien Krypton emphasized the importance being raised on Earth had to developing Superman also the look of Kryptonians were cool IMO.

5: Jonathan and Martha I just love Clark having a place to go to be himself.

6: Speaking of which Clark being the real persona with a slightly bumbling Clark as a mask with the idealized man mask of Superman.

7: Kandor being a city of aliens love the concept of Kandor but think when it's Kryptonians it takes away from Superman.

8: The adding to the Super Family with Steel and Kon.

9: Phantom Zone being an alien prison I like a few Kryptonian villains like Zod and minions but prefer most to be non Kryptonian threats.

10: Linda Danvers, Kara is my idealized Supergirl but I loved Linda and wish she'd be brought back as Superwoman and the former Supergirl with it revealed she is Kara's adopted cousin.

Dislikes:

1: Clark not being Superboy in the Legion. I'm ok with Clark not being Superboy in Smallville but he should had traveled to the future and be him with the Legion like in the cartoon or something.

2: Batman and Superman's more antagonists relationship.

3: While eventually rectified Krypto and more importantly Kara missing from the mythos.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Liked:

-less ridiculously overpowered
    -Lois Lane's new depth
    -LexCorp
    -the larger S-sheild
    -Lana Lang's new role as Clark's childhood confidant
    -Ma Kent being alive

Disliked:
    -Pa Kent being alive into Clark's adulthood
    -Football star Clark
    -Jor-El & Lara's life on Krypton being devoid of wonder and adventure
    -the mess it caused with the Legion of Super-Heroes
    -Lex's massive intellect being ignored
    -erasing Kara Zor-El from history, along with the Phantom Zone criminals

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

liked
    1jonathan and martha live and guiding clark,they family realtionship really give me warm feeling,and give more convincible reasons why superman is a easygoing,lovely person
    2kon and steel join superman family
    3superboy is come from a parallel universe which created by time trapper,this give superboy more tragical feature(but i don't like superman never join legion,but luckily geoff bring this concept back)
    4superman blue,his color and ability design is cool
    5supergirl,all versions
    dislike
    1superman never joined legion,and legion age has been reduce to teenage,not contemporary with superman
    2business luthor,or more strictly,luthor's intellect has been ignored,not make me feeling luthor is a worth archenemy for superman

Extraordinary Member

Can't really think of much I disliked. Ma and Pa being alive, the greater focus on Clark, the powers being 'move a mountain' instead of 'juggle planets,' Lex as a businessman, focus on humans instead of Kryptonians, an actual explanation of what was wrong with Krypton, it worked incredibly well and created a coherent world and continuity with incredible world building and development. And Linda Danvers is my favorite character from the entire franchise.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Businessman Luthor. If someone was an truly evil genius, this is what they'd do.

Keeping the Kents alive into his career as Superman. They should get to enjoy their son's success.

Having Lana in on his secret. This doesn't get talked about much but if they were truly dating, it would make sense.

Krypton. I like an alien Krypton. It makes more sense than a Buck Rogers future version.

Ditching the Legion. This is going to get me into a lot of trouble but having him fight villains as a teenager knowing full well he's supposed to grow up to become Superman is reckless and irresponsible. The Legion would know they were putting him at risk. And trying to look a thousand years into the future is...tricky at best. They were still using pushbuttons and holographic pac-man games in the mid-eighties stories. There's no way you're going to get it accurate. It's sort of like looking at the original Star Trek and saying that's for sure what the 23rd century is going to look like.

DISLIKES:

No powers til puberty. I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does. Maybe it's because my first exposure to Superman was the Donner movies with him lifting the truck over his head as a toddler so that just got ingrained in my mind as what he should be able to do. Maybe it was the Ruby Spears version being the first version I ever really got attached to. It sounds stupid, I know, but that's how I feel. I doubt DC is going to make that canon just to appease me, though.

Him playing football in high school. This was a blatant abuse of his powers, far and away. He knew by then he had super powers. He knew this was cheating. To go back to the Ruby Spears version: him playing football with ordinary teenagers is like a grown adult playing with little kids. He knew better. Smallville handled this much better. Pa knew it was cheating regardless of how careful he was.

Brainiac: I'm sorry but their Brianiac was just plain stupid. Alien collector of worlds all the way!

Protoplasm Supergirl. This was a mess that was completely unnecessary. It served no purpose. There were better ways to do a Supergirl. TAS proved that.

The Batman relationship: I get that they wouldn't trust each other at first but the whole "He'll always be an alien!" mindset ten years into their relationship is just stupid. Fortunately, they ditched that later on.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Businessman Luthor. If someone was an truly evil genius, this is what they'd do.

Keeping the Kents alive into his career as Superman. They should get to enjoy their son's success.

Having Lana in on his secret. This doesn't get talked about much but if they were truly dating, it would make sense.

Krypton. I like an alien Krypton. It makes more sense than a Buck Rogers future version.

Ditching the Legion. This is going to get me into a lot of trouble but having him fight villains as a teenager knowing full well he's supposed to grow up to become Superman is reckless and irresponsible. The Legion would know they were putting him at risk. And trying to look a thousand years into the future is...tricky at best. They were still using pushbuttons and holographic pac-man games in the mid-eighties stories. There's no way you're going to get it accurate. It's sort of like looking at the original Star Trek and saying that's for sure what the 23rd century is going to look like.

DISLIKES:

No powers til puberty. I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does. Maybe it's because my first exposure to Superman was the Donner movies with him lifting the truck over his head as a toddler so that just got ingrained in my mind as what he should be able to do. Maybe it was the Ruby Spears version being the first version I ever really got attached to. It sounds stupid, I know, but that's how I feel. I doubt DC is going to make that canon just to appease me, though.

Him playing football in high school. This was a blatant abuse of his powers, far and away. He knew by then he had super powers. He knew this was cheating. To go back to the Ruby Spears version: him playing football with ordinary teenagers is like a grown adult playing with little kids. He knew better. Smallville handled this much better. Pa knew it was cheating regardless of how careful he was.

Brainiac: I'm sorry but their Brianiac was just plain stupid. Alien collector of worlds all the way!

Protoplasm Supergirl. This was a mess that was completely unnecessary. It served no purpose. There were better ways to do a Supergirl. TAS proved that.

The Batman relationship: I get that they wouldn't trust each other at first but the whole "He'll always be an alien!" mindset ten years into their relationship is just stupid. Fortunately, they ditched that later on.
    Oh god yes forgot about Brainiac definitely one character I didn't like the changes.

BANNED

Changes I Liked

-Lex Luthor being the cutthroat corporate bigwig Clark could seldom touch, also liked him becoming a father.

-Johnathan and Martha Kent

-Jimmy Olsen's family history and brief experiences with Cadmus and his fallout with Supes

-Lois being assertive and falling for Clark and not Superman

-Cat Grant's complex relationships with her son Adam and the Edge family. Led to a great #metoo moment that'd win awards if it were printed today I feel.

-Ron Trope.

-Lana attempting to have a family with Pete Ross

Changes I Disliked

-The date with Wonder Woman. Led to them being 'ship-teased for years, even after he married Lois. Glad DC have almost entirely cut her off from the line now.

-The Many, Many, Many Versions of General Zod. Just f'ing pick one.

-Sam Lane being an enemy of Clark and dragging Lois' sister into his plans. I liked him better in the early post-crisis stages where he was more down to earth and just annoyed at Clark.

-Lana unable to move on from Clark, ruining her family with Pete Ross.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-31-2019 at 07:19 AM.

I think I liked all the Byrne changes. And the 90s era. I would say the thing I dislike the most is what happened with Supergirl. Her Earth-One origin is significantly better than any of the ones she got afterwards IMO.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I think I liked all the Byrne changes. And the 90s era. I would say the thing I dislike the most is what happened with Supergirl. Her Earth-One origin is significantly better than any of the ones she got afterwards IMO.
    Same. I LOVE Byrne's run and everything about it. I like a nerfed Superman and Lois Lane and Lex Luthor became way better characters than before.

Oh yeah and I love Linda Danvers more than Kara so there's that.

One dislike is severing the ties between him and the LoS. I like that he influenced them and they were so proud to be around him.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There was an edict for a long time after post crisis to simplify Superman and make him unique again which I liked and while Pre-Crisis Superman was my first Superman Post Crisis Superman was the version I loved.

Changes I liked:

2: Lois Lane becoming more of a self efficient golden age style reporter it started in the Bronze Age but solidified in the Post Crisis Era.

3: Lois and Clark finally getting off the will they won't they pot and doing it.

4: Krypton I think the more alien Krypton emphasized the importance being raised on Earth had to developing Superman also the look of Kryptonians were cool IMO.

6: Speaking of which Clark being the real persona with a slightly bumbling Clark as a mask with the idealized man mask of Superman.

7: Kandor being a city of aliens love the concept of Kandor but think when it's Kryptonians it takes away from Superman.

9: Phantom Zone being an alien prison I like a few Kryptonian villains like Zod and minions but prefer most to be non Kryptonian threats.

10: Linda Danvers, Kara is my idealized Supergirl but I loved Linda and wish she'd be brought back as Superwoman and the former Supergirl with it revealed she is Kara's adopted cousin.

Dislikes:

1: Clark not being Superboy in the Legion. I'm ok with Clark not being Superboy in Smallville but he should had traveled to the future and be him with the Legion like in the cartoon or something.

3: While eventually rectified Krypto and more importantly Kara missing from the mythos.
    I completely agree with your dislikes especially the superboy part and the antagonism between him and Batman.

Luthor being older
    The use of intergang
    Mxyzptlk

Dislikes:
    Lack of mad scientist luthor ( I did like the business angle)
    "Birth" on earth and downplayed and sometimes utter lack of super intelligence
    Yuppy highschool jock Clark Kent
    Kents still being alive
    Lack of love for krypton
    Psychic body snatcher brainiac (they fixed this though)
    Having to use breathing devices. I really hated that.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I dislike the temporary loss of Super Intelligence, even Lex seemed less smart. It never made sense to me that he would have those senses and still process things as if he was just like you or me. I also prefer Lex being a straight up criminal. Who's got time to get into tuxedos when job number 1 is taking down Superman? I love when Lex shows up to a fight with a new ray gun and his prison gear. The whole Superman mythology went on dim. The Legion couldn't have ties to him, the fortress was an alien place he explored, his earnestness was a weakness, there is just so much I prefer about the pre-crisis character. I really think they have taken the reins of the character for a few years now and he has been better for it. What other character has had to carve off so much of their mythology? Imagine if the Fantastic Four were only allowed to have a tangential connection to so many of the ideas that started with them. Okay, beside the wildly successful Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Retired

Luthor being a businessman who's in it for the money is a downgrade of his character. Pre-Crisis, we already found out that Lex had many shell corporations and made money from his inventions. He wasn't a bank robber--I can't think of many stories where he was doing it for the money. To Lex it was about the intellectual challenge. He could get out of prison whenever he wanted, but he preferred to stay in prison, only leaving when he had a new idea to test out. He was so brilliant that material wealth meant nothing to him. It was all about challenging his intellect. The overweight busnessman who treats women like garbage is so much less than his pre-Crisis counterpart.

I was also really let down by Lana Lang. Allowing her to know Clark's identity and be his trusted friend seemed like that was going to give Lana a big role in Superman's life. But instead having this knowledge defeats her and she accomplishes nothing. Pre-Crisis Lana was an archaeologist, a broadcast news superster, an honourary member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, a love interest for Vartox, a master of Kandorian martial arts and virtually a sister to Clark Kent.

Changes I liked:

Dislikes:

pretty much most of this. Jon and Martha being made younger, and alive, during his adult career helped stories a lot.

didn't like- (at the time) the apparent reduction of kryptonite to just green. obviously that's changed in recent years (or however long ago).

Erasing 48 years of history.

Changes I liked:

Dislikes:

I liked that there were only two weaknesses (magic and the rare as bleep Kryptonite).