Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Madame Masque (Giulietta Nefaria / Whitney Frost) Appreciation (2019)

Her first appearance (as the "Big M") was in Tales of Suspense #97 (January 1968).

Hard to tell if that's really a female in those panels, but her story would unfold as Iron Man moved from sharing Tales of Suspense with Captain America (issue #99 would be the last for that) into his own solo-title during 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . Her first appearance (as the "Big M") was in Tales of Suspense #97 (January 1968).
    Then there was this in Tales of Suspense #98 (February 1968), which appears to be the first (unidentified) appearance of her as Whitney Frost

based on what Jasper Sitwell (anybody remember him?) says when he's "introduced" by name to Whitney Frost in Iron Man #1 (May 1968)

As for Whitney's backstory, here's some of it from Iron Man #8 (December 1968)

Good looking out with this Appreciation thread MajorHoy. She is such a great character. I cannot wait to see when Slott uses her in Tony Stark: Iron Man. Hopefully it's pretty big and soon.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Good looking out with this Appreciation thread MajorHoy. She is such a great character. I cannot wait to see when Slott uses her in Tony Stark: Iron Man. Hopefully it's pretty big and soon.
    She's suppose to be in Black Widow #3 in March.

VILLAINS, VILLAINS EVERYWHERE...
    • The mysterious, self-proclaimed Prince of Madripoor is throwing a party, and the guest list is filled with a who's who of villains!
    • Black Widow is looking to crash that party. HARD.
    • That is, if she can escape the deadly clutches of Madame Masque!
    Rated T+
    In Shops: Mar 27, 2019
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN191005

Extraordinary Member

Even though Stan Lee is usually listed as co-creator of Masque I really think Archie Goodwin is her creator. It's hard to tell in those early appearances exactly what backstory she was supposed to have. When Goodwin took over the strip right after (literally the next month) Whitney became maybe the most interesting part of his run. I think there was something more "grown-up" about the character than in most superhero comics of the time, because she was so tragic, but also someone who had gone too far into the darkness to ever really be fully redeemed.

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition Vol. 2 No. 7 (June 1986)

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition No. 22 (September 1992)

I don't know if this is a popular opinion or not, but I love how madame Masque is being used as Kate Bishop's main nemesis. Something about the way Kate gets under this old school villain's skin is fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I don't know if this is a popular opinion or not, but I love how madame Masque is being used as Kate Bishop's main nemesis. Something about the way Kate gets under this old school villain's skin is fun to me.
    isn't she on the same team as the Dutch Oven? not exactly a promotion.

Very interesting character but get rid thaT AWFUL bathing suit ASAP.

MASQUE.jpg

MASQUE 2.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Very interesting character but get rid thaT AWFUL bathing suit ASAP.

MASQUE.jpg

MASQUE 2.jpg
    I guess it kind of looks like a one-piece bathing suit, but I've really never thought of it that way until you brought it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it kind of looks like a one-piece bathing suit, but I've really never thought of it that way until you brought it up...
    Give her a new costume.

Whitney has a lot of potential.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Some more of Whitney/Madam Masque's backstory from Iron Man #8 (December 1968) though her story may seem a bit dated more some fifty years later . . .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hard to tell if that's really a female in those panels, but her story would unfold as Iron Man moved from sharing Tales of Suspense with Captain America (issue #99 would be the last for that) into his own solo-title during 1968.
    That is what makes it so great to me because as a reader it makes me want to come back for the next issue since those panels kept me in suspense!

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    David Marquez Madame Masque!