Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Based on the old Unauthorised Chronology of the DC Universe which is typically fairly accurate (+/- 2-3 years) for most long-running characters:
    Thanks for the info. Very useful.

Booster Gold: Twenty when arrived in the present ('86 published titles), so no more than 22 during Breakdowns and Death of Superman.
    Thanks so much. Booster's matches his age given in his comic (just happen to be dong a re-read now).

Blue Beetle: Attended his 15-year High School reunion shortly before Death of Superman so was likely 33-34 at that point (definately supporting his slowing metabolism and weight gain).
    Did not know that. Very useful info. Thanks.

Ice: Very limited information. The only definate datapoint is that she was 13 when she left Norway (after accidently killing in her father with her powers), but an unknown period of time (but presumably at least five years) passed between this period and her membership of the Global Guardians. It's unlikely that she was more than 20 during the reference period.
    When was she given that backstory? I only know the one in Secret Origins #33, where she was an adult when she left (or at least very much looked like one to me). And her father seemed to be alive, still.
    Ice.jpg
    This was his last panel and the next one said "Welcome to Paris", and Tora had left home and was deposited immediately with the Global Guardians. I guess it was retconned later? Or was it always intended and this one was just trying to deceive us?

Fire: First appeared as a Wayne Enterprise (regional) president Pre-Crisis, the alternation of this to "amateur model>showgirl>secret agent" post-Crisis potentially drops it down (the former origin would suggest 30+, the former as low as mid-20s), however I'd probably put her in a similar age bracket to BB and Guy.
    Guy: Explicitly a qualified social worker by Year 1 (so no younger than mid-20s), this is broadly consistent with his overlapping college time with John Henry Irons (and therefore being about the same age as most of the JLA founders (mid-to-late 30s by "Death of Superman".).
    Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Thanks for the info. Very useful.

Thanks so much. Booster's matches his age given in his comic (just happen to be dong a re-read now).

Did not know that. Very useful info. Thanks.

When was she given that backstory? I only know the one in Secret Origins #33, where she was an adult when she left (or at least very much looked like one to me). And her father seemed to be alive, still.
    Ice.jpg
    This was his last panel and the next one said "Welcome to Paris", and Tora had left home and was deposited immediately with the Global Guardians. I guess it was retconned later? Or was it always intended and this one was just trying to deceive us?

Great.
    Killing her father was a retcon from Generation Lost.
    The Secret Origins issue came out during the JLI's original run and would have more weight as canon if you're reading the Giffen/DeMatteis era.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Killing her father was a retcon from Generation Lost.
    The Secret Origins issue came out during the JLI's original run and would have more weight as canon if you're reading the Giffen/DeMatteis era.
    Thanks. I am trying to figure out what the continuity/ages were in the late 1980s. Comic books can make that difficult to do without reading all the relevant titles, because of the retcons that just ubiquitous in the medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Thanks. I am trying to figure out what the continuity/ages were in the late 1980s. Comic books can make that difficult to do without reading all the relevant titles, because of the retcons that just ubiquitous in the medium.
    Prior to her being in JLI, Ice didn't really have any character development.
    Her only pre-Crisis write-up in Who's Who was a sentence in the Global Guardians entry. However... Due to a research error, Giffen & DeMatteis believed that Icemaiden’s real name had never been mentioned, and so they felt free to create an identity for her: Tora.
    But if you look closely at that one sentence in the Global Guardians Who's Who entry, you'll see that she was listed as Sigrid.
    And she had blue skin. This also was played down in JLI and it was mentioned somewhere that she colored herself blue to hide her identity.

JLI didn't really delve into her past either, except for her and Bea coming from the Global Guardians.
    Her first Who's Who page was in the '88 Update, which came out three months after she and Bea joined and three months before the Secret Origins issue.
    Her profile just said her origins had yet to be revealed. Secret Origins #33 would be the only origin given during or before the Giffen/DeMatteis years.

Note: at the time of the Giffen/DeMatteis-era JLI, there was only one Icemaiden/Ice. Her first appearance was listed as Super Friends #9 (even though that series wasn't canon).
    The 'other' Icemaiden, Sigrid, was retroactively added later after Zero Hour to substitute for Ice because fans wanted her back after Waid killed her off.
    The research error that created the Tora identity actually became a benefit as they could say that they were two different women.
    Once the two were considered separate, Sigrid kept the first appearance from Super Friends and Tora's first appearance became JLI #14, the first comic to feature the Giffen/DeMatteis version.

Btw, these may be helpful.
    I don't think Comixology or DCUniverse include the Secret Origins Behind the Secret Origins features.
    These covered #33-35.

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Great info, thanks. I enjoyed reading the posted pages. And if anyone happens to know of any not-previously-mentioned comics that references the characters ages that was published in the late 1980s time period, please let me know.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-25-2019 at 03:40 PM.