Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I actually only read a handful of issues from the Giffen & DeMatteis run as it was happening, as I didn't have regular access to an LCS. But once I did, this issue was one of the first I picked up, and is technically where my love of the JL began:

I came about my love for JLI in an unusual way. I never bought any of the Giffen/DeMatteis issues when they originally came out. But when I saw that Superman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc... were coming back to JL, I bought the issue above. I became curious as to who Guy Gardner, Blue Beetle, Booster, Fire, Ice, Crimson Fox, etc... were and went back to my comic store to buy some of the Giffen/DeMatteis early issues. It just so happened that The Gospel of Maxwell Lord trade paperback came out around this time. I bought that and the previous TPB of this run and fell in love with the writing and art.

I ended up buying the entire Giffen/DeMatteis run in the course of about 3 to 6 months. So I got a huge dose of the entire five years in a short amount of time. Ironically, I bought very few of the new JLA/JLE books because I found the writing to be so inferior to the previous run. I dropped them pretty soon after the Death of Superman.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

My experience was almost the opposite! I loved the JL Spectacular issue, and what came after, but knew that I hadn't been crazy about the funnier tone of the few older issues I'd read.

I didn't go back and collect/read the entire Giffen/DeMatteis run until I came across a huge chunk of it in some quarter bins several years later. Probably 1997/1998 or so, as Morrison had already re-launched JLA at that point.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I remember 1987 being a banner year for my comic reading...

Within a few short months, JLI, Flash, Doom Patrol, Strange Tales v2 and Comico's Justice Machine launched.
    Of these five, JLI and Strange Tales were the ones that won me over the most.

JLI became the first comic that I obsessed over, getting every issue as it came out from start to finish (finish being JLA #60 and JLE #36).

It was also the title I was reading when I first dipped into subscription services. For about two years, I ordered JLA, JLE, Mister Miracle and Dr. Fate from Westfield Comics. And rarely bought anything else.
    It was almost automated...
    I'd get the order form in, mark off whichever of the four were offered and sent it back in. I barely even glanced at the other titles coming out at the time.

I remember being excited about Breakdowns when it started, but the Wozniak art wasn't to my liking and the book was starting to get that 'we're about to be cancelled, so here's some competent art to carry us to the end' feel.

However, the JLI reader membership vote that promoted Spectacular did a good job of promising something new.
    And both Jurgens and Randall looked really good.
    And... Fire, Ice, Beetle, Booster, Guy, Power Girl and Crimson Fox weren't simply tossed aside! They were acknowledged as real Justice Leaguers! That was an important thing at the time.

I also really liked the inclusion of Maxima and the return of Dr. Light.

However...
    The Jurgens run felt like cardboard. The characters looked amazing, but they weren't very animated and their personalities were muted.

I lost interest in JLE pretty quickly. It didn't seem to be going anywhere.

Then Booster's new bulky (and ugly) costume, Judgment Day, Ice's death and Extreme Justice all happened and I finally said goodbye to the heroes that kept me reading comics since their first issue.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

Within a few short months, JLI, Flash, Doom Patrol, Strange Tales v2 and Comico's Justice Machine launched.

JLI became the first comic that I obsessed over, getting every issue as it came out from start to finish (finish being JLA #60 and JLE #36).

It was also the title I was reading when I first dipped into subscription services. For about two years, I ordered JLA, JLE, Mister Miracle and Dr. Fate from Westfield Comics. And rarely bought anything else.
    It was almost automated...
    I'd get the order form in, mark off whichever of the four were offered and sent it back in. I barely even glanced at the other titles coming out at the time.

I remember being excited about Breakdowns when it started, but the Wozniak art wasn't to my liking and the book was starting to get that 'we're about to be cancelled, so here's some competent art to carry us to the end' feel.

However, the JLI reader membership vote that promoted Spectacular did a good job of promising something new.
    And... Fire, Ice, Beetle, Booster, Guy, Power Girl and Crimson Fox weren't simply tossed aside! They were acknowledged as real Justice Leaguers! That was an important thing at the time.

However...
    The Jurgens run felt like cardboard. The characters looked amazing, but they weren't very animated and their personalities were muted.

Then Booster's new bulky (and ugly) costume, Judgment Day, Ice's death and Extreme Justice all happened and I finally said goodbye to the heroes that kept me reading comics since their first issue.
    judgement day was an interesting concept, i just didn't like the infighting between captain atom and wonder woman.

i liked extreme justice in its first few issues, but i'm not sure the book went anywhere near the end. i love roster though.

Managed to snag the first 4 trades. Sad that the Cap didnt stay but the run made me appreciate Guy.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member

However...

Then Booster's new bulky (and ugly) costume
    This was pretty much my reaction to it. Ice's IQ seemed to bottom out to single digits and the other characters lost their charm. It went downhill very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    judgement day was an interesting concept, i just didn't like the infighting between captain atom and wonder woman.

i liked extreme justice in its first few issues, but i'm not sure the book went anywhere near the end. i love roster though.
    Judgment Day would've been so much better if Ice hadn't been killed and was allowed to explore her heritage.

I initially liked the art by Campos on JLA, but by the time Extreme Justice started I began to tire of the look.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Post-Crisis DCU is still my favorite era; almost everything from 1986-1993 is golden (imho).

Wozniak was... not great.

I loved the lineup for both books, a great mix of new and old (at the time).

However...

Maybe it was because there was a single writer, but I eventually came to love Jones & Randall's JLE/I more than Jurgens & Vado's JLA.

Did you ever go back and read JLA post-Zero Hour? The Jones & Wojkiewicz (sp?) run with the "new" satellite League?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Did you ever go back and read JLA post-Zero Hour? The Jones & Wojkiewicz (sp?) run with the "new" satellite League?
    I did.
    Unfortunately, I didn't care for it.

The art by Chuck Wojtkiewicz didn't grab me, the covers suffered from poor layouts and the '90s muddy coloring/inking, and I couldn't connect with the characters.

And I didn't like Icemaiden being there instead of Ice.
    Then there's that Wonder Woman costume...

I did like Hawkman, though. But I was probably one of the few that did.

And while I probably should have really liked Nuklon and Obsidian being there...
    And Crimson Fox...

It just felt more like his post-Breakdowns JLE.

I did.
    Unfortunately, I didn't care for it.

The art by Chuck Wojtkiewicz didn't grab me, the covers suffered from poor layouts and the '90s muddy coloring/inking, and I couldn't connect with the characters.

And I didn't like Icemaiden being there instead of Ice.
    Then there's that Wonder Woman costume...

I did like Hawkman, though. But I was probably one of the few that did.

And while I probably should have really liked Nuklon and Obsidian being there...
    And Crimson Fox...

It just felt more like his post-Breakdowns JLE.
    i don't remember much of that time in the league, but was wonder woman's team and captain atom's extreme team still considered part of the jli era?

i don't remember much of that time in the league, but was wonder woman's team and captain atom's extreme team still considered part of the jli era?
    I'm sure writers of later versions consider anything from before Morrison's JLA as part of the JLI era.
    Makes it easier for them to ignore it all equally.

I think with the continuing characters in JLA (Fire, Power Girl, Crimson Fox, Flash and Metamorpho), it could be considered the next phase of JLI.
    As could Extreme Justice, with Beetle, Booster, Maxima and Captain Atom.

I think there were three distinct phases, personally...
    1. The Giffen/DeMatteis era that ends with Breakdowns
    2. The 'Spectacular' era that ends with Zero Hour
    3. The Zero Hour era that ends with, well... the end of the books before being relaunched with Morrison.

I loved phase 1.
    Phase 2 was okay, but didn't live up to its potential. Granted, the first few months were pretty good. And I did like how this phase seemed most intent to show readers that the JLI was still the League.
    Phase 3 left me bored and finally moving on to something else.

i usually just equate the jli with max's team,

but if the "spectacular" era was part of it, i'm pretty happy with the roster it had.

I always wanted to see more interaction between Maxima and Fire & Ice.
    She came off more extroverted and sure of herself than Fire and could've made for some great conflict... if it was written by Giffen & DeMatteis...

I can imagine her taking Ice and leading her down a path to make her more assertive, with Fire protesting as she had been silently guarding her innocence.

I always wanted to see more interaction between Maxima and Fire & Ice.
    She came off more extroverted and sure of herself than Fire and could've made for some great conflict... if it was written by Giffen & DeMatteis...

I can imagine her taking Ice and leading her down a path to make her more assertive, with Fire protesting as she had been silently guarding her innocence.
    man, i miss maxima.

what happened to her by the way? did she even had an appearance post flashpoint?

man, i miss maxima.

what happened to her by the way? did she even had an appearance post flashpoint?
    She's probably been killed off.