Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if Teen Titans Go and DC superherogirls had a spinoff.

The humor would be perfect for JLI.
    Tbf the JLI DID get a cartoon. They were the Batman the Brave and the Bold justice league.

BANNED

it was the basic lineup but with Jaime Reyes (probably bc Generation Lost was happening at the time) , the Question, and Aquaman a part of the roster. and no Mr Miracle or Dr Light

Extraordinary Member

What was your favorite lineup in the Giffen/DeMatteis period:

A. Early lineup - Batman, J'onn, Maxwell Lord, Black Canary, Captain Marvel, Guy Gardner, Mr. Miracle, Oberon, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Dr. Fate, & Dr. Light
    B. 2nd lineup - Batman, J'onn, Max, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Guy, Mr. Miracle, Oberon, Big Barda, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Captain Atom, Rocket Red, Fire, & Ice.
    C. 3rd lineup - Batman, J'onn, Max, Guy, Mr. Miracle, Oberon, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Fire, Ice, & Huntress
    D. Final lineup - Batman, J'onn, Max, Guy, Blue Beetle, Fire, Ice, L-Ron, & General Glory

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

A. Early lineup - Batman, J'onn, Maxwell Lord, Black Canary, Captain Marvel, Guy Gardner, Mr. Miracle, Oberon, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Dr. Fate, & Dr. Light
    B. 2nd lineup - Batman, J'onn, Max, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Guy, Mr. Miracle, Oberon, Big Barda, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Captain Atom, Rocket Red, Fire, & Ice.
    C. 3rd lineup - Batman, J'onn, Max, Guy, Mr. Miracle, Oberon, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Fire, Ice, & Huntress
    D. Final lineup - Batman, J'onn, Max, Guy, Blue Beetle, Fire, Ice, L-Ron, & General Glory
    I'd say C. Unfortunately, Huntress rarely appeared during her stay.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I'd say C. Unfortunately, Huntress rarely appeared during her stay.
    Yeah, there seemed to be a lot of that happening with JLI/JLA/JLE. The books sold very well, so it seemed editors wanted their heroes to make appearances. Yet, I think they were so afraid of what Giffen and DeMatteis would do to their heroes that they didn't want them hanging around too long.

If only the live action JLI tv series had gotten off the ground...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Gotta go with C.

Although I do also love the post-Giffen/DeMatteis lineup of Superman, Booster, Beetle, Fire, Ice, Guy, Maxima, Bloodwynd.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Gotta go with C.

Although I do also love the post-Giffen/DeMatteis lineup of Superman, Booster, Beetle, Fire, Ice, Guy, Maxima, Bloodwynd.
    I really liked that line-up, too.
    Too bad Giffen and DeMatteis didn't get to use that team.

I imagine Maxima would've been somewhere between Crimson Fox and Power Girl in personality. And I could see her cutting in on Fire & Ice's friendship, and trying to 'improve' Ice because she would see her innocence as a weakness.
    That would so end in a fight.

Bloodwynd would probably be dry, maybe a mix of Captain Atom and J'onn, but with the added mysteriousness of Dr. Fate (possibly disappearing or appearing constantly, and spooking the other members).

Extraordinary Member

I liked that lineup as well. My biggest problem with Jurgens' JLA was that he made Ice sort of an dimwitted airhead - something she never was in the Giffen/DeMatteis run.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I liked that lineup as well. My biggest problem with Jurgens' JLA was that he made Ice sort of an dimwitted airhead - something she never was in the Giffen/DeMatteis run.
    Funny, I'd have described Jurgens' Fire as more of the airhead -or maybe a bit vapid? - but his Ice just came across as a love-struck schoolgirl (not sure that's any better).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

i would go for line up b probably...

Funny, I'd have described Jurgens' Fire as more of the airhead -or maybe a bit vapid? - but his Ice just came across as a love-struck schoolgirl (not sure that's any better).
    This. He did some if his best art here and some interesting stories but got ALL of the characterizations wrong. One of the things I loved about JLI was how all of them felt like fleshed out real people compared to the way other comics were written at the time. You felt like you knew them.

That all changed when Jurgens took over. It felt like I was reading about strange characters that I'd never read about before.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    This. He did some if his best art here and some interesting stories but got ALL of the characterizations wrong. One of the things I loved about JLI was how all of them felt like fleshed out real people compared to the way other comics were written at the time. You felt like you knew them.

That all changed when Jurgens took over. It felt like I was reading about strange characters that I'd never read about before.
    I agree.
    During the Giffen/DeMatteis run I could easily guess what each character's reaction would be to a given situation.

A lot of non-readers would criticize JLI for having the characters too realistic and showing natural human quirks that we all have.
    For me, it made me realize how two-dimensional the characters in other comics were because there were aspects of them that we never got to see.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Thread makes me feel so old. I was reading all those books when they came out they were pretty cheap and at the grocery store near me.

At first I thought I was the only one that liked them, or maybe that it was just nostalgia.

Really dynamic roster, and I like a variation to the justice league, OTHER than the big names that we have now.

But Armageddon 2001 really got me hooked. I was really surprised when the bad guy was hawk, and... didn't know the whole story behind it.

Just enjoying new things as a kid I guess.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Got to go with the second lineup with the third coming in close behind. Big Barda pushes B over the edge but there is something to be said about the core team found in C.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.