Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Another tech would be the prison cell for Steve

I don’t understand why they couldn’t have made guns. Than again they didn’t need guns. Unless for sports
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-06-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Another tech would be the prison cell for Steve

I don’t understand why they couldn’t have made guns. Than again they didn’t need guns. Unless for sports
    I know they didn't react well to guns when they found some with Steve during Rucka's Rebirth run. It doesn't really feel like the proper weapon for a true warrior.

I mean if guns can kill them then they should have at least have armor tough enough. Not only that but it should be the last option

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know they didn't react well to guns when they found some with Steve during Rucka's Rebirth run. It doesn't really feel like the proper weapon for a true warrior.
    Which makes me think of how we treat "warriors" today and how they really were. The vast majority of time in history they weren't particularly noble, and picked the best weapons because not doing so mean more likely loss in battle and death. But I do like noble Amazons. Though I don't think that nobility has to be tied to warrior-hood.

One thing about tech, though, is someone has to have the idea. We can wonder why the Romans or Chinese didn't invent steam engines. But they didn't (well, the Romans actually had steam-powered toys, but not functional items). Just because a society is very scientifically advanced in one area doesn't mean they are in all areas. We tend to project our own timeline of inventions on these fictional societies, but when it comes to science of different fields (not ones that build on top of each other) there's no reason they have to develop in the same order. Why shouldn't another society have antibiotics before gunpowder, you know?

Spectacular Member

Exactly, you don't progress in warfield tech if you don't have any reason to be at war (amazons are isolated). Medecine in the other hand is always usefull and time not allocated to warfield tech is put in better use in other fields tech.

About the movie, i really liked it. Not as much as rebirth's Rucka's run but still interesting.

Considering what they went through in the comics because of Heracles taking advantage of their trust, the Amazons should be a lot more pragmatic about their weaponry.

All-New Member

I actually enjoyed the use of Medusa as a 3rd act swerve, it shows Villainy Inc getting in over their heads and tampering in forces beyond their control is par the course and sort of karmic. Medusa feels like the natural result of Cyber, Poison, and Cale overstepping their ambitions.

I liked what Villainy Inc got here, most of them got meaty roles. And there's potential for another film that gets in deep and explores them better without the Silver Swan character around. (Who I did like but she's not necessary again)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I kinda wish they used someone completely random like Zara or Osira in Cheetah's role. She was just so out of place in this movie, and I agree that it could've boosted a more obscure villain's recognition.
    A fire slinging Zara was the main one I was thinking of, yeah. Osira could have worked too.

I think Giganta and Cheetah were chosen for mook roles because the audience, even the casuals, would instantly recognize them. There would be less need for exposition. Though I guess even Poison and Cyber were treated as being established characters and weren't delved into that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    How did that serum even work on Cheetah if her powers come from an external, divine source? Unless it was actually made from Urzkartaga.
    I think it's just some generic superhuman enhancer.
    But Poison has a tendency to create poisons, toxins and serums based on mythological sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlyse View Post
    I liked what Villainy Inc got here, most of them got meaty roles. And there's potential for another film that gets in deep and explores them better without the Silver Swan character around. (Who I did like but she's not necessary again)
    Yeah, Vanessa by necessity needs most of the focus.

I guess one of the benefits of not focusing too much on Cheetah and Cyber's backgrounds here is that they can address it in the next one

The Amazons did have two machine guns when fighting Medusa. It seems the ship Diana and Steve were on does have a navigating system.

Screenshot from 2019-10-06 23-10-36.jpg
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-06-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Overall, the movie was a huge disappointment to me. Too generic, it lacks identity and some of the villains didn't need to be there. YEAH, I get it, it's cool to see the whole crew. But is there a point in showing all of them if some characters could be replaced for anyone else? And if a lot of other aspects could use some more time of development?

Maybe my biggest issue is with Hippolyta and Julia. Both are barely recognizable besides their appearances.

Steve was good though. I liked Cale as well. And the climax was good, interesting use of Rucka's first run. But meh. It sure could've been a loooot better.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Not nearly as good as the 2009 Wonder Woman. You miss the wit of Simone's writing, the references to Ninotchka, the semi-coherent plot.

spoilers:
    I really didn't want another origin story.

This seemed like pastiche: the worst elements of the old Justice League cartoon origin, a bit of Perez, a bit of Rucka. Diana's sudden appearance to break Steve out and flee the island was surprising in a bad way. No motive for this development was really established.

And if it was all being done in fulfilment of some prophecy, you'd think the queen would be aware of this and could be led to recognize what was happening.

And as others have pointed out, no motive was established for Medusa either. Rather, the entire plot seemed to be pulled out of someone's fundament to set up the various combats, which in the end seemed the only point of the proceeding. And they were the enjoyable parts of the movie. Diana shines in all of them and is not seriously challenged except at the beginning and end. Seeing her get owned by Hippolyta was a surprise, but I guess in this version Themiscyra is an island of Wonder Women, which is how I prefer it.
    end of spoilers

I will say that I came to this with very low expectations. The DC DTV universe flushed itself down the toilet with The Flashpoint Paradox. Even the draughtsmanship has been 1990s bad, extremely manneristic, all the women too thin and two thirds of their body length is legs. That seems to have been dialed back just a little bit here. I hope this is the last we see of the bad silver costume. Given my expectations, it was a bit better than I expected, and probably one of the more rewatchable things of the current DC video universe. But it definitely will not replace the 2009 version, which is a marvel of wit and coherence compared to this.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Mighty Member

I liked the film. I do like when Steve is portrayed as fun AND competent. Etta had a decent showing as well, though I do fell that she was just kind of there after a bit.

spoilers:
    I do think that some of the villains from Villainy Inc. were shafted though. While I don't have any fears for Cyber, I do think that Poison's death was unneeded... A brilliant chemist wasted, hopefully they bring in her granddaughter or something in the future. I did like the fact that she was enhancing powers of supers though, THAT is something that can be used continuously (as well as developing, well...poisons for supers who wouldn't be affected by stuff that regular humans would). Cheetah and Giganta were used as enforcers, which while this may bother some, I'm fine with it for now as these two ladies always get used so I did want to see more from Cale, Cyber, and Poison than the most commonly used non public domain Wonder foes.

I liked the final scene with Veronica Cale as well, I definitely see her appearing in another movie. Perhaps we will see her and Luthor in the same movie one day to show how different they are from each other (Lex is the type who will don a suit to physically challenge Superman to a fist fight, I don't see Veronica being so...primal)
    end of spoilers

I appreciate that the movie actually dug into Wonder Woman lore for inspiration of villains and supporting characters. However, the villains just aren't that interesting at all. It's kind of like the live-action movie and various recent DC animated films. Voice acting seemed weaker compared to the best in the DC library, too.

Worth watching, but not one I'd repeat.

Also, poor Amazons. Sort of feel bad seeing the nameless ones get slaughtered so quickly. Maybe one time the Amazons nation will be on the other side and actually get to win a real battle.

I don't understand how or why anyone from the voice direction team failed to catch the fact that Rosario Dawson's pronunciation of "Themyscira" is different from everyone else who uttered that word in this flick?

All-New Member

I enjoyed it. Sure, the plot wasn’t groundbreaking, they stuffed too many villains in, and Hippolyta’s conflict with Diana was forced and contrived to the former’s detriment, but at least this time Diana’s characterization doesn’t make me want to bang my head against a wall, and they actually cared enough about Diana’s most prominent supporting cast to make good use of them.

If this were any other superhero I’d nitpick more, but since this is WW who hasn’t gotten her own movie in literally a decade, and it wasn’t bad at all (unless you’re one of those people who care more about the flashy spectacle than quiet character moments), I’ll take it and hope that it’s a step in the right direction. After years of watching Diana play second fiddle to the other members of the Trinity or play Token Chick in ensemble movies, it’s refreshing to see one where she clearly shines as her own superhero with her own supporting cast who are ALSO written in-character (WW 2009 certainly failed in that regard).