Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Oh, it's leagues better than the horrid 2009 one. It's not great, but it's a start in the right direction.
    Definitely. At the very least, compared to Steve and (especially) Etta in 2009, this one does a far better job with the characters.

And while I have issues with Villainy Inc, none of them are as underwhelming as Ares was.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I absolutely loved the first movie. And while this one was not at all what I initially expected, it was very entertaining and engaging.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I enjoyed it, Bloodlines has the bones of a good Wonder Woman movie, it’s just not the most elegant script, plus the animation leaves a lot to be desired
    I also don’t think Rosario Dawson is a good fit for Wonder Woman, or that Cheetah should need to shoot up steroids in order to be that quick. The same goes for Giganta, she seemed neither bigger nor better to me

Things I enjoyed:
    1. The development of the Diana and Steve relationship.
    2. Diana, Steve, and Etta as a terrific trio.
    3. The swashbuckling, crime fighting, action and adventure couple of Diana and Steve.
    4. Digging deep into Wonder lore and portraying lots Wonder characters: Doctor Cyber, Doctor Poison, Giganta, Cheetah, Veronica Cale, Silver Swan, Medusa, Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis, Ferdinand, the Purple Ray, etc.
    5. The fights and battle choreography.
    6. The setting up of Villainy Inc. as a thing, if we get additional installments.
    7. The blend of mythology, science, biology, etc. in the story.

Things that I wish would have been better, but weren’t:
    1. Julia Kapatelis and Hippolyta having one-note characterization.
    2. More tech advancements on Themyscira being shown and the Amazons being the creators of the invisible jet.
    3. Veronica Cale’s portrayal seemed a bit off to me. I see her as a bit more serious with moments of snarky-ness and not vice versus.
    4. Limited use of Doctor Cyber. (I hope we learn more about them, if we get future installments.)

Overall, it was fun, I just wish it had been a little longer, so we could have gotten greater characterization and interconnectedness between Cale, Giganta, Poison, Cyber, Cheetah, and Swan.

Vanessa as Silver Swan isn’t my favorite version of the character, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I honestly kinda wished they'd cut the Kapatelis women out entirely and put the Cale/Cheetah/Cyber dynamic at the forefront. Poison could function the same, and Giganta could still just be a cameo albeit with a slightly longer (and more impressive) fight scene.

Not sure if there would still be room for Medusa though.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Things I enjoyed:
    3. The swashbuckling, crime fighting, action and adventure couple of Diana and Steve.
    4. Digging deep into Wonder lore and portraying lots Wonder characters: Doctor Cyber, Doctor Poison, Giganta, Cheetah, Veronica Cale, Silver Swan, Medusa, Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis, Ferdinand, the Purple Ray, etc.
    6. The setting up of Villainy Inc. as a thing, if we get additional installments.

2. More tech advancements on Themyscira being shown and the Amazons being the creators of the invisible jet.
    3. Veronica Cale’s portrayal seemed a bit off to me. I see her as a bit more serious with moments of snarky-ness and not vice versus.
    4. Limited use of Doctor Cyber. (I hope we learn more about them, if we get future installments.)

Overall, it was fun, I just wish it had been a little longer, so we could have gotten greater characterization and interconnectedness between Cale, Giganta, Poison, Cyber, Cheetah, and Swan.

Vanessa as Silver Swan isn’t my favorite version of the character, but I enjoyed it for what it was.
    I know WHY they threw so many in. They're NOT making separate movies for each of them. So either they have a big pile of villains or they just don't get to use them. It's just one of those thing where you can't do everything all at once.

The Amazons weren’t the creators of the Jet but Military .

Wonder40

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think they were more so going for Sharpe’s more bestial Cheetah design.

but cheetah's don't have kitty cat ears-- their ears are small and roundish. They should have just done it like Barbara Minerva's Cheetah... they were basically there anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Things I enjoyed:

Per usual, you say everything I am thinking, far better than I ever could. My thoughts on WWB...all of the above!

Best thing it accomplishes is getting the perennially obscure Wonder rogues out in a big way. Except for Medusa, I think any one of them could be used in stories, outside of the Wonderverse, hopefully drawing fans back to WW.

Great short review, Scott.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-16-2019 at 01:41 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Because these DC animated movies are apparently sharing the same universe, BLOODLINES contains a much-needed course correction in Diana's characterization as seen in the most recent death of Superman animated flicks: Diana was not recognizable in those two movies where in the first part, she was a passive aggressive jealous ex-lover, and most appallingly, in the second part, Diana -- an Amazon from an all-female nation -- could not find it in herself to bond with Lois Lane.

That just drove me nuts.

BLOODLINES thankfully undid these two horrific errors.

BLOODLINES establishes the supporting cast, as...

Etta Candy
    Steve Trevor
    Nessie Kapatelis
    Ferdinand the Minotaur

WWB establishes the rogues gallery, as...

Doctor Poison
    Cheetah
    Giganta
    Medusa
    Ares
    Silver Swan

It's a sleepy list. I think the script could have made them, a little nastier, but, at least, ..they're present. They're there, in the mix, ready to be developed by future writers of future stories. That's an accomplishment.

WWB isn't perfect, but stands as a landmark work, I think. I would love to read a novelization or comic adaptation of this, in which the characterizations of VI and of Steve are given more depth. Overall, still a landmark WW outing!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

It’s a solid start. For the sequel I’d focus it on just Cale and Circe personally. Those two bring enough threat together and it would mean they’d both get more screen time for development.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Doctor Poison
    Cheetah
    Giganta
    Medusa
    Ares
    Silver Swan
    I don't recall Ares even being mentioned in the film?

Also, you're forgetting Doctor Cyber and Veronica Cale.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't recall Ares even being mentioned in the film?

Also, you're forgetting Doctor Cyber and Veronica Cale.
    They overdid Ares in the 2009 movie -- he had a kid with Hippolyta whom she murdered, he had that other Amazon bowing to his whims...so it's good we're slim on the Ares front in BLOODLINES.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    in the second part, Diana -- an Amazon from an all-female nation -- could not find it in herself to bond with Lois Lane.
    I didn't care much for Reign, but I didn't really get that impression. Then again, maybe I'm remembering the movie incorrectly, and they just wanted to add tension for Lois (who is ironically the main character in a movie called Reign of the Supermen).