Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (2019)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8752498/

I didn't see a thread for this so I decided to make one myself.

Any ideas what this will even be about? There is no plot synopsis but the cover art looks like it will be an Amazon Attacks type of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8752498/

I didn't see a thread for this so I decided to make one myself.

Any ideas what this will even be about? There is no plot synopsis but the cover art looks like it will be an Amazon Attacks type of story.
    Maybe it's based on Azzarello's run.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

The press release said it was going to be an original story and did not mention any comic book like other DC animated movie

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    The press release
    Can't seem to find it. Can I have a link?

It definitely feels like it's going to be about Zeus and possibly other aspects from Azz's run, which is disappointing IMO. DC didn't think enough of the New 52 to keep it so why not focus on storylines centered in Rebirth?

Well, to be fair, they think enough of the Zeus origin to keep it despite certain writers not liking it. Its still canon, Rucka wasn't allowed to retcon it and neither is Wilson. Hence their just ignoring it.

At this point I think they might as well, but to date, its still an edict that it be kept. So its not entirely inconsistent to do DCAMU movie about it (if indeed this is in the current universe's continuity).
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Can't seem to find it. Can I have a link?
    For the first time since her fan-favorite 2009 animated movie, Wonder Woman will take center stage in an original animated movie called Wonder Woman: Bloodlines. Not much is known about this mysterious—but very exciting—bonus movie, but expect to learn more next year.
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...nimated-movie#

DC already stated this isn't going to be based in the new 52 storyline. I hope this is true. All of they new 52 movies are shared universe. This one is stand alone if they followed what they pray

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I think another appeal of Diana stealing the armor and leaving is it saves time. To take the live action movie as an example...yeah, they could've done the whole contest thing and everything that goes into it. But then we're over an hour into the movie before Diana even leaves the island. For the sake of running time and pacing, it was better to convey Diana's skills with the training montage and Hippolyta insisting Antiope make sure she's the best warrior.

Similarly, with Bloodlines, I think they just wanted to recap Diana's origin in the first five minutes as quickly as possible before moving onto the meat of the story. Hippolyta outright attacking Diana was a little over the top though, I'll agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

I'd argue, though, for Bloodlines that recapping her origin was not all that useful.

These particular animated movies aren't like the live-action films in which they're supposed to be Wonder Woman 101 classes for n00bs. A good number of viewers are probably people who are watching WW for the first time, but they're mostly aimed toward comic fans, as well as fans of the animated line themselves who've watched a prior movie in the line. Why did we need to see her origin again? Look, I don't want to compare Bloodlines to All-Star Superman or Batman: Year One as far as being influential stories, but just imagine what a waste of time it would've been if those stories (and corresponding movies) spent time showing Martha Wayne's pearls and Krypton exploding. The time would've been better spent on developing the supporting characters of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'd argue, though, for Bloodlines that recapping her origin was not all that useful.
    Agree.

I think the problem isn't so much that Wonder Woman's origin story gets retold, as that (a) there is a lack of other Wonder Woman stories, (b) that a lot of the retellings are poor.

If we take Bloodlines, what purpose does the opening serve? It's not particularly action-y, as in the classic James Bond opening scenes. It also does a disservice to Wonder Woman's ethos by making Themyscira a place she escapes rather than leaves. The only purpose the opening scenes have is introducing Themyscira so we can return to it as a place to be threatened later in the movie, but it fails in that because Themyscira isn't shown as a place that we should care about.

I also think that as origin stories go, Wonder Woman has a lot more in common with Spiderman than she does with Superman or Batman. Superman and Batman usually start from a place of no agency, and then have a lot of undefined growing up stuff that is elided before they appear more or less fully formed. In contrast, Wonder Woman's and Spiderman's origin stories are stories in their own right.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I also think that as origin stories go, Wonder Woman has a lot more in common with Spiderman than she does with Superman or Batman. Superman and Batman usually start from a place of no agency, and then have a lot of undefined growing up stuff that is elided before they appear more or less fully formed. In contrast, Wonder Woman's and Spiderman's origin stories are stories in their own right.
    I don't think I agree. Batman is definitely not fully formed in Miller's Year One at least, and it's definitely a story in its own right. All three of the trinity usually start at a place of agency. Clark and Bruce make the active choice to become superheroes and start their own journey, it just happens earlier in their life than Diana. Her agency decision is really the Contest, but stuff like Ares being active prompting Steve's crash and even further back with the origins of the Amazons don't require her to be an active participant any more than the destruction of Krypton or Joe Chill firing his gun.

Maybe its due to her being the one who was most thoroughly rebooted in the 80s and we followed her journey without time skips. But it also may be due to her origin being re-told even more than Superman's because DC usually has no clue what to do with her, so they just rehash the origin. But for the majority of her publication history, I don't think that she's any less of a static fully formed icon than the other two or had more agency. Just agency of a different sort.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think I agree. Batman is definitely not fully formed in Miller's Year One at least, and it's definitely a story in its own right. All three of the trinity usually start at a place of agency. Clark and Bruce make the active choice to become superheroes and start their own journey, it just happens earlier in their life than Diana. Her agency decision is really the Contest, but stuff like Ares being active prompting Steve's crash and even further back with the origins of the Amazons don't require her to be an active participant any more than the destruction of Krypton or Joe Chill firing his gun.
    Yes, both Superman's and Batman's origin tales can be told in several different ways, and some of them emphasise the story aspects. "Man and Superman" by Wolfman and Castellini is an excellent example of Superman's origin told as story (but note that it focuses on Metropolis, not Krypton or the Kents). But in most cases the stories don't do it that way, and in the original versions the characters appear more or less fully formed after the initial situations are set up.

On the other hand, Wonder Woman's origin story might not be as evolved as Spiderman's, but it does involve several decision points, pieces of conflict, and to some degree consequences. We have the decision to investigate Steve's crash and the decision to accompany Steve to Man's World in defiance of Hippolyta's wishes. Especially the last piece is critical here, since it gives the story a basic moral conflict that is a core part of her origin.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])